Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:47am

Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am going to do my best here to break down some issues with terms. First off the term McDojo is in reference to a school of no substance. It does not matter if it is MMA, TMA or what have you....it means that you dont do anything but pass bucks to an instructor and they pass back a belt in return. It can be done in many different ways, but the classes are pretty much crap and the belts mean nothing. No one knows what they are doing and they still get moved ahead. The variety of McDojo can be anything.
    Now a Bullshido club is one that makes crazy claims and can not hope to meet. the "science" behind what they do is questionable at best and the "master" is a self made man...granted those are just charactoristics.

Now if a TMA school says that a particular technique could do "A" and they dont actually hit the person with it, is that Bullshido...No. Is it McDojo...No. It may be, but that does not make it so.

Now, if an instructor says that he can knock you out from across the room...but only if your toes are not off the floor.....is that Bullshido...YES, is it a McDojo...maybe!

If a TMA school says show up and you pass or take a test and the instructor actully stairs at the floor during the test and you still pass is that Bullshido...NO, is it McDojo.. Most likely.

Just my thoughts.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One more thing. TMA does not equal McDojo or Bullshido. I have seen way to many fakes and frauds in both MMA and TMA and "modern" styles to make me comfortable at a table with anyone saying that they do martial arts. Trust me, the good is out their. And just because you are not doing a style that allows for maximum contact does not mean that you are doing McDojo stuff....that is silly thinking and shows lack of understanding.

One of the most respected instructors ever, Nakayama sensei, once commented on the Tai Chi instructors in China....he said they were supermen! They dont do much sparring at all...just a bit of Chi sao. Some people train in martial arts not to be good fighters but to be in good shape, get rid of stress ext. as long as your art gives you what you are looking for then it is successful!

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 11:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kensei
    I have seen way to many fakes and frauds in both MMA and TMA and "modern" styles to make me comfortable at a table with anyone saying that they do martial arts.
    Oh hve you now?
    Names please.

Quote Originally Posted by kensei
    Some people train in MARTIAL arts NOT to be good FIGHTERS but to be in good shape, get rid of stress ext. as long as your art gives you what you are looking for then it is successful!
    Think before post my gentle friend...

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 12:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell
    Oh hve you now?
    Names please.

Think before post my gentle friend...
    I have trained or met with three people that stated they trained in Bruce Lees Jun Fan style. This was seven years ago and all I rememer was one was jon and had a bit of TKD under his "belt", he lives in Vancouver. I also met two people in Winnipeg that said they trained in his style and I came to find out that they never trained with anyone...the read his books.

I have also met and trained with people that lied about rank or tournament success. I would venture to guess we can all attest to having met people like this.

The last part of my post, were I stated that people train in TMA for many different reasons...well to argue against this you would pretty much have to be a :new_silly

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 12:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    awh...no namecalling please, i know its annoying when someone points out a flaw in your logic but just take it in and think a bit before you post 'stupid crap'.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 1:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    awh...no namecalling please, i know its annoying when someone points out a flaw in your logic but just take it in and think a bit before you post 'stupid crap'.
    I did not call YOU a name....I pointed out that I dont agree with your response, and it now looks like you are trying to get into an :qright2: . Take it this way. I dont agree with what you are trying to do. I stated some thing you tried to post your thoughts....which I am still not sure what you wanted to point out here....and I responded WITH OUT calling you a name. So, please...dont try and make a argument on such thin ice. I did not call you a name..in fact I was trying to joke a bit with you! If you took it personal and as name calling I am sorry you are so thin skinned....I wont be:argue: with you....it is a total waste of time!

Now, have a great day:f-off: ...LOL, just kidding...loved the smile!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 1:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im a sensitive guy, and now you just posted that im a waste of time..thats just mean, have you no honor or respect?!

wha i tried to point out is pretty clear if you read he thread title, i wasnt sure what to think about them so i asked.

then you made it into a tma shouldnt e bashed because on 3 occasions ive met people who were lkying aswell, or something vague like that.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 1:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im a sensitive guy, and now you just posted that im a waste of time..thats just mean, have you no honor or respect?!

wha i tried to point out is pretty clear if you read he thread title, i wasnt sure what to think about them so i asked.

then you made it into a tma shouldnt e bashed because on 3 occasions ive met people who were lkying aswell, or something vague like that.
    LMAO, So you did not get it! Fine I can help! First off...I said arguing is a waste of time....I think you mis read that one. Second, you seem to want to fight or something...not me, I just want to chat a bit.

Now, as for the lads you refer to. I think it has been told to you very well they dont reprosent TMA, I was not responding to your post so much as others. You took it personal. Not all responses here will be directed towards you...or did you not realize that. Dont take it all so personal Levell! :qleapfrog

My response about TMA not being McDojos was fairly General. If you choose to take it personally and as a response to you...that is your choice but it was not. sorry you misread all that. I just went back threw the whole thread and dont see what you are confused about. Sorry, but I think we are actually on the same side and did not know it!:icon_bril

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 1:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was however talking to Oldiebear who equated Karate to McDojos on page two of this thread!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 1:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh...not all responses are directed at me...nice shot below the belt mate... :-(

i started the thread remember?

but if you think nobody here would take the time or effort to adress me ill just unsubscribe from this thread.

bye
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast