Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 5:13pm

Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I often lurk here and just wanted to post a few quick notes. I notice that this site has a lot of negative things to say about alot of martial arts people, and most of the time I would have to say that you all are 100% dead on! But, sometimes I think the points of view are a bit bias and presented simply to get a rise. Not all Karate-ka are bad or horrible and not all are fakes and frauds. And Not all Canadian Karate is bad. For instance, Phil Dingman in Manitoba is perhaps one of the best coaches that the Karate world has seen come out of Canada. Quiet and often soft spoken he has put together kick ass teams and also has some students that went to Japan and completed the JKA instructor training program, and he has a few world champions.

now, having said that When I first started in Karate I saw a few crap instructors in Winnipeg, but it is like anything else, you have to dig threw the coal to get to the diamonds. and trust me I saw my share of coal!

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 5:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey dont get me wrong, im not negative towards karate, one of my first styles was kyokushin when i started as a kid!

I dont care about styles that much.

It's just ive seen this weird thing from that federation or school in particular and made a thread about it.

I've met some real tough cookies who practised karate.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 5:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kobayashi Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have to agree with Kensei. Since I 've been posting here I 've noticed a lot of TMA bashing in general. I am in total agreement with criticizing the Mcdojos but there is a lot of good Karate in both Canada and the U.S. I am Canadian, my Sensei is American. He goes back over 40 years and did some great full contact when he was young. When I had my club I made enough to pay the bills, period. We did some great training and fighting and I think I turned out some very good Black Belts. There are a lot of clubs like that all over the country. Unfortunately all you hear about is the McDojos and Black Belt factories. Personally I would like to see a lot less bashing and a little more understanding of what we all want to do. Feel the love.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 5:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oldiebear where do you teach?

Just curious

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 6:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    maybe it would be an idea to do a tma school of the month concept, you know, to show not all tma schools suck etc.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 8:05pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldiebear
    Personally I would like to see a lot less bashing and a little more understanding of what we all want to do. Feel the love.
    Then set the tone, put in 2000+ posts loving the good TMAs, but do it in another section of the forum. I think there is a sub-forum just for that.

Be the difference.
    Last edited by Askari; 1/14/2008 9:21pm at .
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 8:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My club was in Guelph Ontario. I opened it in 1996 and gave it to one of my partners in 2004. Two reasons; I was being transfered out of the area with my job, and I was getting a bit tired. I taught Kobayashi Shorin Ryu, the Chibana Line. The club is still there. My Sensei is in Virginia. I don't see him often enough. I have a few friends in TO. One named Belle. Used to have a tournament, the Golden Belt in Scarberia.
    As far as school of the month goes I think that when someone finds a good TMA school they should let others know about it. There is so much crap on the net from the bad schools and associations that it would be nice to recognize the good ones too. Scrap away some of the BS that people claim. As an example, I found a web site the other night that claimed to be a 'Hall of Fame'. I never saw so many Grand Masters and Supreme Grand Masters listed in my life. That isn''t limited to the TMA's.
    You know I may get crapped on for saying it but there is nothing wrong with some of the 'less intense' clubs. People who are not up to full contact, in your face MA's, need somewhere to go. Kids too. Maybe clubs should be rated for their intensity.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 9:43pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is so much crap on the net from the bad schools and associations that it would be nice to recognize the good ones too. Scrap away some of the BS that people claim. As an example, I found a web site the other night that claimed to be a 'Hall of Fame'. I never saw so many Grand Masters and Supreme Grand Masters listed in my life. That isn''t limited to the TMA's.
    Hence the existence of Bullshido.
    You know I may get crapped on for saying it but there is nothing wrong with some of the 'less intense' clubs. People who are not up to full contact, in your face MA's, need somewhere to go. Kids too. Maybe clubs should be rated for their intensity.
    What you are describing is a McDojo, not an evil thing, just a description of what they are. Some people like them.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 10:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's hard for many people on here - TMA and MMA, to understand the difference between McDojo and Bullshido.

Bullshido comes not out of certain styles like point sparring karate but out of the belief the point sparring and kata for example ill make you a competent fighter.

If someone wants to take a very traditional light contact forms based karate that's fine, as long as it's not taught as fighting.

AKA the George Dillman stuff for example is Bullshido because the light touch Dim Mak knock outs will NOT work in real life and someone depending upon it for a self defense situation will get seriously hurt because of it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 11:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being relatively new to posting on this site I do have some hesitation as to the meaning of some terms. I do however, understand what is dangerous crap and what is a MA club that is designed for the masses. Dangerous crap includes anything that convinces a person that by paying your dollars and taking a few lessons you will be able to fight and/or defend yourself competently. However, I thing this is a little off the topic of the original thread. Possibly time to start a new thread.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast