Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 12:47am

Style: WHKD & Doce Pares

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So how many Kajukenbo folks are actually on here. Anyone got an idea? Just my own personal curiosity at work.
    I'm one of Sifu Dacascos' 1st gen black belts from the Portland school, I started training with him in 1985. I know that there is some animosity between some of the "hard style" Kajukenbo folks and the other branches. But personally I feel as long as you train hard and with the Kajukenbo spirit it's all part of the same Ohana. That's what will keep Kajukenbo moving ahead even after Sijo is no longer with us.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 1:40am

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The other year I was up in Oregon, and stopped in to check on Uncle Al. . .
    I was told he was in Colorado, or some such place, I forget where. . .dang.

Let's get Mark to MC/ring announce the battle for the title. . .
    "Let the Battle Begin!"

LOL

`~/

Loving Father

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 1:43am

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    By true to him I mean supporting him. And by supporting him, I don't mean show up to a tournament, eat some food and take pictures. I mean supporting him both financially (giving a portion of your schools income like everyone agrees to when opening a Kaju school) and supporting his legacy by training hard and representing the art to the best of your ability. Letting the art turn into Ke?po is something I as well as Dan are not about.
    I know exactly what you meant. I just meant that keeping the "Ohana" part
    is a lot more important to him than the stricter training, and formal structures
    withing the organizations. It pains him to see all the infighting, so he tries to
    stay clear of all that mess. Too bad they can't all just shut up and train!

Even those schools that refused to give the (tribute/promotion fees/membership
    dues/etc.) were not against Sijo, just against the politics within the organizations.
    Many were of Sijo's 1st generation bbs.

Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    And it might help things just get a nod and a wink because Sijo is old, and now from what J Bishop is posting, very ill in a hospital in Maui.
    He's been ill and bounced back before. . .hopefully he can do so again. Besides, he's
    not that old. . .you're right behind him, yeah? ;)

`~/

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:28am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meex
    I know exactly what you meant. I just meant that keeping the "Ohana" part
    is a lot more important to him than the stricter training, and formal structures
    withing the organizations. It pains him to see all the infighting, so he tries to
    stay clear of all that mess. Too bad they can't all just shut up and train!

Even those schools that refused to give the (tribute/promotion fees/membership
    dues/etc.) were not against Sijo, just against the politics within the organizations.
    Many were of Sijo's 1st generation bbs.
    Well that is the sad part. Truly it has been conveyed to me by many senior ranks that all Sijo wants is everyone to train hard and be brothers, regardless of their differences. But for those of us who've been in martial arts for some time realize how hard of an ideal that is to accomplish.

Hopefully organizations that represent and respect all (such as the Hui) will help mend those differences and have us embrace them rather than get into pissing matches about who is more authentic.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:56am

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Bear
    So how many Kajukenbo folks are actually on here. Anyone got an idea? Just my own personal curiosity at work.
    I'm one of Sifu Dacascos' 1st gen black belts from the Portland school, I started training with him in 1985. I know that there is some animosity between some of the "hard style" Kajukenbo folks and the other branches. But personally I feel as long as you train hard and with the Kajukenbo spirit it's all part of the same Ohana. That's what will keep Kajukenbo moving ahead even after Sijo is no longer with us.
    Well, I'm another 1st gen WHKD person :). There aren't many WHKD people on this board, but a decent number of Kaju people are floating around.

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 10:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason
    Well, I'm another 1st gen WHKD person :). There aren't many WHKD people on this board, but a decent number of Kaju people are floating around.
    Gotta represent Brother Jason :smile:

How's the scheduling going for that meet-up you were looking to organize? And how's your school going for that matter?
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 11:01am

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Gotta represent Brother Jason :smile:

How's the scheduling going for that meet-up you were looking to organize? And how's your school going for that matter?
    The school's going pretty well, thanks for asking. I need to advertise more, but with my medical school obligations, I am holding off on any big expansion programs till this summer. As for the meetup, I just am waiting to hear back. At this point, I have the space available most weekends for it. I posted a week ago on that thread, maybe I should do it again...

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 11:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason
    The school's going pretty well, thanks for asking. I need to advertise more, but with my medical school obligations, I am holding off on any big expansion programs till this summer. As for the meetup, I just am waiting to hear back. At this point, I have the space available most weekends for it. I posted a week ago on that thread, maybe I should do it again...
    If you want to print up any cool looking fliers or advertisements, shoot me a PM with what you want. I'd be happy to help you out.
    ~Bruce Lee

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 1:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for posting KempoFist. Although I'm sure not everyone will agree, this looks like it will be a good thing for Kajukenbo.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12