Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 11:44am

Style: FMA/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I appear to be made out of lead... any ideas?

I have a problem in that i am disproportionatly heavy for my build (5'11' 13 stone) which pushes me into weight categories I really dont want to be in, I could do with losing a stone or so, the only problem is if i exercise, even cardio i seem to get heavier and changing my diet doesn't seem to do a whole lot either as I am not carrying a whole lot of excess fat

any ideas or anyone else have this? (other than cutting off a limb..)

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 12:59pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TCDD
    any ideas?
    Yeah. Start by telling us exactly and preciselly what you eat on a daily basis, from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep, down to the last cup of coffee, before and after training.

Try to the best of your recollections to write down what your food consumption on your average day looks like, with times and all (as in the following example):

7:AM: meal 1 (list ingredients as precisely as you can)
    9:AM: meal 2 (list ingredients as precisely as you can)
    10:AM: coffee
    noon: lunch (list ingredients as precisely as you can)
    5:PM pre-workout meal/drink ((list ingredients as precisely as you can)
    ... workout
    7:PM post-workout meal/drink (list ingredients as precisely as you can)
    10:PM: last meal of the day (list ingredients as precisely as you can)

Then, list your workout/physical activities during the week - MA training, workouts on your own, etc.

This is not an exercise to test your typing skills. It is important that you and we know what the heck you are eating on a daily basis. Coffee, drinks, water, sweets, meats, greens, the amount you eat, the frequency, etc.

Then, one can give a suggestion on what to do next.

Also, 13 stones is 182lbs, which is not bad for a person that's 5'11". I don't see how the hell you consider yourself disproportionally heavy for your height. Unless I'm missunderstanting something here...
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 1:15pm

Style: WHKD & Doce Pares

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's also gonna depend on frame size. I'm 5'11" and back in the olden days (when dinasours roamed the earth) when I competed, I was between 180-190 Lbs and that was where my strength to weight ratio was the most comfortable for me.
    Anything heavier effected my mobility but anything lighter than the 180 would effect my endurance & muscle tone (as I found that to get below 180 meant cutting muscle not fat). I'm larger framed or as I like to put it I have too much blood for my height.

Since you didn't list the reason why you don't like the wgt. catagory it puts you in, I'm going to assume that it puts you at a height/reach disadvantage, but that is something that you just need to learn to deal with.
    If this is the case you need to talk to your coach/trainer and possibly modify some or all of your techniques to deal with that "disadvantage".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 2:31pm

Style: Oyoma Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A little derail if the mods will allow it, how much influence should your bmi have on your training? (Mine is 37, ouch I know, and I'm trying to train for increased anaerobic ability and much greater endurance [for grappling].)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 2:48pm

Style: FMA/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason it puts me at a disadvantage is that I am not actually built like the guys I'd be fighting at my current weight, compared to some of the guys who only have 3 kilos on me and are huge, , ideally I want to get down to 76KG category.

Ill work out what I eat/train over the next week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 11:30am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jvjim
    A little derail if the mods will allow it, how much influence should your bmi have on your training? (Mine is 37, ouch I know, and I'm trying to train for increased anaerobic ability and much greater endurance [for grappling].)
    A whole freaking lot in a whole lot of ways.

If you want a more detailed answer, start another thread.