Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 8:34am

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kneebar and Heel Hook vids

Can anybody show me some good instructional youtube videos on how to to kneebars and heel hooks? I go to a jujutsu club (half japanese half anything goes but gouging and other bastard tactics groundwork) and about 3 judo clubs, but i can only get to the jujutsu club once a fortnight, and because i'm an idiot who will skip clubs to do homework that should have been done days ago it's sometimes less than that; and judo doesn't do anything against the legs. Also, they usually say no heel hooks for grappling because of the fact you don't feel it untill it almost snaps something. I wanted to ask everyone at bullshido because i'm not a brilliant grappler and i wanted to avoid bad videos that don't have good technique in them, as i don't really trust myself (i've only been doing judo properly (did it on and off for years but hardly ever) for about a year and a bit, jujutsu for about 4 months) not to find something that will either be useless or injure a training partener.

On a slightly related note, are techniques which involve you being on the ground, catching a standing opponents legs between yours and tripping them over (a bit like kani basami) worth learning or are they just flashy and useless techniques that look really cool in demonstration vids and movies? If they work, good videos of them would be highly appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 9:58am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

anyway, a final word on heelhooks: they're not useless, not at all, but they're dangerous. it's like having someone in the mount and doing the can-opener---you just yank up on their head. oh, they'll tap alright, but they might have weeks or months of neck pain or serious injury because of it. in my opinion heel hooks are an asshole move to do to someone, and best left for MMA or self-defense.

anyway i think if you get good at the achilles lock, which is a lot safer, you should have a good heel hook.
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 1/13/2008 2:35pm at .

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 10:10am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or you could fucking learn how do heelhook from a qualified instructor. Just saying.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 11:03am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    Or you could fucking learn how do heelhook from a qualified instructor. Just saying.
    a much better idea.

i'm a fan of getting ideas from videos, but if you're sitting at home watching youtube grappling and practicing on your little brother, you're doing it wrong.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 11:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats the slight problem. Only jujutsu club i can go to is one thats 40 mins drive away from me, and because sometimes can't get a lift that means i only go about once a fortnight, which sucks.
    Achilles locks sound good, especially if they are safer than heel hooks. Thank you for all the advice.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 1:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever you do, don't go breaking out heel hooks on your training partners if you don't konw how to do them without over cranking ****.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 1:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kultist
    Thats the slight problem. Only jujutsu club i can go to is one thats 40 mins drive away from me, and because sometimes can't get a lift that means i only go about once a fortnight, which sucks.
    Achilles locks sound good, especially if they are safer than heel hooks. Thank you for all the advice.
    More than slight. This method of training is injurious to your fighting ability (in this case grappling). You endanger your potential maximum level of efficacy by developing bad habits. These habits can potentially cause you to hurt yourself or someone else, in ignorance. If you can't figure out how to get to a (qualified?) instructor and practice with skilled partners, then you shouldn't learn subs in general, and heelhooks or leglocks in specific. Don't train like a retard, and you might one day not fight like a retard. Until then you will be a... well you get the drift.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 1:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More than slight. This method of training is injurious to your fighting ability (in this case grappling). You endanger your potential maximum level of efficacy by developing bad habits. These habits can potentially cause you to hurt yourself or someone else, in ignorance. If you can't figure out how to get to a (qualified?) instructor and practice with skilled partners, then you shouldn't learn subs in general, and heelhooks or leglocks in specific. Don't train like a retard, and you might one day not fight like a retard. Until then you will be a... well you get the drift.
    Meh. Subs in general are not a problem because i get good training three times a week from judo. Point taken about heel hooks, will avoid and stick to calf crushes which are taught with safety precautions at the jujutsu club. Frankly i just wanted to know how to do them so that i could modify a calf crush during a SD situation so that i could get an edge if i had to break out the Nike Kwon Do afterwards.

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Inquisitorial Edict:

Anyone caught giving technical advice that has a high risk of someone injuring themselves or others, especially to inexperienced students, will be punished worse than the person who asked for the advice.

For example: Telling someone who does JJJ that a heelhook is "isolate the knee and twist".