Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2008 3:35pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do you get less hungry as you thin up?

So i'm 30, 5'7" 210 lbs. I'm actually on some kind of meal delivery thing that gives you 3 meals and a snack. Quite good, food is actually tasty. Its portioned to about 1600 calories a day. Now what's interesting is if I eat just that, and wait, I can go about the day feeling about 80% full. But that means toward the end of the day, or during periods in between the day, I'll still feel hungry so I end up eating additionally.

The BMR for somebody my build is 2000 calories, meaning I'd burn that if all I did was sleep all day, where as 1600 calories is the BMR of someone weighing 145 lbs. So the thought came up.

As I lose weight, do I also proportionally get less hungry, or do I stay just as hungry at that lower weight as I would now? Just so I know what I'm getting into.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    1/12/2008 3:43pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are my exact height, age and weight. Very funny.

If I were you, I might raise my calories to 2100 so your deficit is only 500 per day. Generally speaking, progrmas like the one you describe don't provide you, an athlete, with the calories you need.

Precision Nutrition(tm) would work wonders for you.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 5:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Euro Kickboxing, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd also like to add that 1600 is way too little for you if you're doing any kind of exercise.

As to your main question, I can't say but I've always felt hunger the same though my weight never varied significantly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 7:53pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you eat less, you get less hungry. I ate very small meals for three days (see thread: Holy Crap, I need to cut waterweight, page one or two of the PT forums), and after that I got completely full off of something like an apple.

These people are right that 1600 can be pretty aggressive weight loss, assuming you exercise. If you don't exercise... do it. Most people (on this forum, at least) think that keeping a 500 calorie deficit is good. The reason they picked the number 500 is because: A) it's convenient and easy to maintain and B) one pound of fat metabolizes to roughly 3500 calories of energy, so a 500 calorie deficit every day will lose around a pound a week.

Anyway, 1600 is fine. What's important is that you can still work out. If you're having trouble with that, then eat a protein bar (my recommendation: Balance Gold peanut butter crunch flavor), which generally contain a bit over 200 calories, which should be plenty enough to get you through a workout.

So, yeah, stick with your program. Now, to address your question.

You will always be hungry as long as you keep eating. If you keep yourself occupied, you find that you won't munch. Hunger will never go away, it will always be a problem, and the best you can do is to keep fighting it and then cheat once or twice a month to keep you from going insane.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 8:02pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RE: Protein bars... Since you are in Toronto, you might try the Shopper's Drugmart "Sportzone" protein bars. They are just a repackaged PowerBar protein bar. 300cal and 25g of protein--so it's not just protein, but is a reasonably balanced snack.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 9:36pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uri Shatil
    If you eat less, you get less hungry. I ate very small meals for three days (see thread: Holy Crap, I need to cut waterweight, page one or two of the PT forums), and after that I got completely full off of something like an apple.

These people are right that 1600 can be pretty aggressive weight loss, assuming you exercise. If you don't exercise... do it. Most people (on this forum, at least) think that keeping a 500 calorie deficit is good. The reason they picked the number 500 is because: A) it's convenient and easy to maintain and B) one pound of fat metabolizes to roughly 3500 calories of energy, so a 500 calorie deficit every day will lose around a pound a week.

Anyway, 1600 is fine. What's important is that you can still work out. If you're having trouble with that, then eat a protein bar (my recommendation: Balance Gold peanut butter crunch flavor), which generally contain a bit over 200 calories, which should be plenty enough to get you through a workout.

So, yeah, stick with your program. Now, to address your question.

You will always be hungry as long as you keep eating. If you keep yourself occupied, you find that you won't munch. Hunger will never go away, it will always be a problem, and the best you can do is to keep fighting it and then cheat once or twice a month to keep you from going insane.
    It can also depend on what you eat too that may make you feel fuller longer. Up until about 3 weeks ago I used to make protien shakes (water and whey, or 2 % fat milk and whey) everyday and would have one glass full ( Always made mine the day before as to not wake my rents up) in the morning for breaskfest and once when I got home from work. Having the shake in the morning around 6:00 AM or so I could stay fairly comfortable as far as hunger needs went until about 9:00 AM or 9:30 AM depending on the day and depending if I just made a standard shake, or make a shake that has other stuff added (Peanut Butter, apples, special K, or Cherrios)

I only stopped b/c I have a surgery tomorrow so I didn't know if there was stuff in my shakes that I should be having (Buku Vitamin E). But, I plan to start again once I get back from the hospital so I hope to start again Tuesday, or Wednesday at the latest.

I agree with Uri about cutting 500 calories a day is fairly easy. Unless you need to majority lose more weight than 1 pound a week then this is easier to do thyen trying to cut a 1000 a day, which I've tried before not as easy as it looks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 1:53pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    You are my exact height, age and weight. Very funny.

If I were you, I might raise my calories to 2100 so your deficit is only 500 per day. Generally speaking, progrmas like the one you describe don't provide you, an athlete, with the calories you need.

Precision Nutrition(tm) would work wonders for you.
    SFGOON, I gotta say man, nobody in my entire life has ever called me an athlete. Even now, as I train, I always thought of myself as "that guy that does jiujitsu".

That word has sort of been ringing through my entire head all day, and I gotta say, wow. When you think about what an athlete is, and think of yourself as one, it totally changes your outlook on training, on discipline, and on perservering.

Seriously, thank you. That is one of the best compliments I've had in a long time.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 3:15pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it works for you, take it and wear it with pride. We're at that age where we are able to re-invent ourselves for one last time before our personality entirely loses it's malleability. Anything you decide to call yourself at this juncture in your life will stick for a long time, and it looks like I hit a nerve that you didn't know was there. So, hell yeah, go with that definition. BJJ is a no joke MA, as is Muay Thai.

In the not too distant future, I will be visiting Toronto to train with Vlad Vasiliev. If you want to roll, just let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 2:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best thing you can probably do to control hunger is eat smaller meals more often.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 7:56pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No.

Whenever I get skinnier I get hungrier.

The best thing to conquer hunger is to work out (the workout hormones override the hunger hormones). Running a few miles and maybe some explosive lifts are enough.

AND those burn calories so you CAN eat a bit more.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast