Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you find twin swords less ridiculous than jump kicks? What context are you talking in just out of curiosity?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 11:48am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: sippalki

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you ever seen an 80 years old grandma doing jump kicks? Seriously?

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hwoaranggirl
    Yes. Yes I have.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 10:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, but I've seen an 85 year old judoka do a flying armbar.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 7:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel there is something being lost in the search for history and authenticity among all these different Korean arts. Mainly, can any of the people practicing any of these styles actually fight? I know I come off confrontational, but we haven't even heard any of the usual "My teacher beat up twenty thugs" stories. Is there anywhere I can see sparring? Techniques? Anything?

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 8:04am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    I feel there is something being lost in the search for history and authenticity among all these different Korean arts. Mainly, can any of the people practicing any of these styles actually fight? I know I come off confrontational, but we haven't even heard any of the usual "My teacher beat up twenty thugs" stories. Is there anywhere I can see sparring? Techniques? Anything?
    Though I do believe that anything calling itself a martial art should be combat capable, I don't feel if the instructor can fight adds legitimacy to the history aspect of the art. However, it would be interesting to hear about some of these grand masters field testing their art. :bully:
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 8:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram
    Though I do believe that anything calling itself a martial art should be combat capable, I don't feel if the instructor can fight adds legitimacy to the history aspect of the art. However, it would be interesting to hear about some of these grand masters field testing their art. :bully:
    That's fair and I agree with you as far as historical legitimacy goes. But I'd like to see or hear about anyone, not necessarily the head instructor, applying their art. I just feel that that is a question that should be asked first before exploring historical legitimacy.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 8:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: sippalki

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel there is something being lost in the search for history and authenticity among all these different Korean arts. Mainly, can any of the people practicing any of these styles actually fight?
    Sure! do you want to have your butt kicked?

I know I come off confrontational, but we haven't even heard any of the usual "My teacher beat up twenty thugs" stories.
    Actually we have already been through this around page 12-14. Now we're trying to get beyond if you don't mind.

Is there anywhere I can see sparring? Techniques? Anything?
    Youtube: compare sipalki vs. sippalki.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 8:49am

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a couple of problems, Maverick, but I still think I can appreciate what you are asking. The problem is that hazy area among military science, martial arts, martial commerce, martial theatre and martial sport. Basically the problem comes down to just how close to lethal force can people get before folks start getting maimed/killed or students become avoidant about coming to training.

For instance, a person might be willing to come to a Hapkido class as long as they know that they might not have to work too hard. They like dressing-up and doing exotic things, but they don't really want to get hurt or BE hurt, ya know? Call it "martial theatre."

Then there are the folks who want to mix-it-up and don't mind bruising, or pulling the occasional muscle. Again, they don't want to lose an eye or the use of an arm or leg but they don't mind the contact and might even enjoy some competition--- as long as there are rules to safe-guard participants. Call it "martial sport", right?

You can also have people who train in martial traditions because it helps them to become better people, gives them confidence and a sense of being able to take care of themselves. Once again, they don't want to get hurt and they probably don't really want to hurt others. Call it martial art.

Lastly, there are folks who want to know what it takes to simply cancel another guy's "check". Military and para-military need these skills, but the average person on the street doesn't have a real use for it.

The reason that I go down this list that we all know that marketing of this or that activity is always geared towards representing a particular enterprise as being much closer to lethal force than it is, because the average Joe likes the idea of being powerful--- or at least being perceived as powerful. This is the image most folks are chasing when they sign-up at their local school. The teacher knows it. The student knows it. WE all know it. And if the teacher starts actually requiring people to train in a manner that might prepare them to use lethal or maiming force, that school is simply not going to last very long. While there are historic references to the lethal nature of MA training in the past, nobody in their right mind is going to make promotions based on whether or not one guy incapacitates another. Hell, you can't even get people to abide by competition-based promotions as in the early days of Kendo, Judo and Kyokushin Karate.

Just life being life.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 9:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure! do you want to have your butt kicked?
    I love a good beating.

Actually we have already been through this around page 12-14. Now we're trying to get beyond if you don't mind.

Youtube: compare sipalki vs. sippalki.
    I do mind. The only thing I see on pages 12-14 is a discussion of terms and who knows who and from when. And then some videos posted by Swallow which don't really help the argument of combat usefulness.

Glad2bhere, you gave me a list of why someone would want to study arts. That's great. That doesn't tell me anything about how these arts have been applied and where, and to what success. I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to tell me with it, as it doesn't answer my question.
Page 1 of 20 1 234511 ... LastLast