Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 10:57am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    are you confusing the terms TMA (traditional martial arts) and CMA (chinese martial arts) here?

the way you reference BJJ, Judo and TKD make me think you meant to say TMA.

edit: we were posting at the same time, i now understand what you were trying to say.
    Yep...matter of fact, everytime I saw "CMA" on Bullshido I thought it stood for Commercial Martial Arts.

My previously stupid point was that I never saw San Shou in TMA schools...95% of the time (at least) it's usually point fighting. San Shou is a badass, no doubt.

Off topic, I don't like the term TMA either. Strip mall Karate is hardly "traditional". If anything Judo and Muay Thai are more traditional. ****, even BJJ is more traditional than schools like that, but that's been said 1000 times and doesn't need to be said anymore.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 11:00am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's actually pretty funny. I'll never think of CMA the same way when I type.

Most of us dislike TMA ourselves. That is why we tend ot say JMA (japanese), KMA (korean) CMA (chinese), FMA (Filipino) to give a specific meaning.

Sanshou is still rare and probably will always be that way. People still think of the philosophy behind Martial Arts and tend not to care about the fighting.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 1/14/2008 11:04am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 11:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington
    D'oh! Funny stuff.

You don't think BJJ is a "commercial" martial art, btw? Its schools are generally expensive, it contains a number of trade marks and brand names, has books and seminars, and practitioners founded a famous PPV event as an extended advertisement for the style, to great positive effect.

What's not commercial about it?
    Oh BJJ is becoming hugely commercial, no doubt. God when "Redbelt" hits the movie theaters, BJJ will be as commercial as Karate was in the 80's.

The thing that makes it less commercial is the way some (and I would think most but I can't qualify this) BJJ schools are run:

1) You pay by the month...no contracts
    2) If you pay a year up front there's a cost savings
    3) There are no "Black Belt Clubs" no "SWAT Teams" no schemes to get you to pay more money to be in "advanced training"

Just to be clear, I don't really despise SOME of those things for little kids. I have a 12 year old daughter and there is no way in hell I could have EVER broached the topic of Judo or BJJ with her until she had accomplished something in her current Karate school. She's very happy and seems to be at least interested in what I'm doing (BJJ). Before her being part of a "Black Belt Club" I wouldn't have been able to pay her to be interested in that stuff. Now, I firmly believe I have a shot of getting her in a BJJ club by the time she's 15/16.

Plus, she's at least exercising.

So in a way I'm definitely pro TMA schools for kids, if not for anything but a gateway into other arts after the fact.

For me personally, I'm very happy with BJJ and plain old boxing.

Christ I'm long winded...in short, making money in and of itself is NOT bad. God knows I don't want to see my BJJ school close! So some commercial appeal is not always a bad thing.
    Last edited by HongKongFukYu; 1/14/2008 11:12am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 11:11am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFukYu
    Oh BJJ is hugely commercial, no doubt. God when "Redbelt" hits the movie theaters, BJJ will be as commercial as Karate was in the 80's.

The thing that makes it less commercial is the way some (and I would think most but I can't qualify this) BJJ schools are run:

1) You pay by the month...no contracts
    2) If you pay a year up front there's a cost savings
    Wow. Do you live in America. I have only found One school in my area that doesn't have a contract.

Most of the people here talk about the contracts their BJJ schools have. So, your area must be in the minority or a new school.

The Cost saving is inherent in the Mcdojo schools also. Yes, some BJJ schools have high prices to.
    3) There are no "Black Belt Clubs" no "SWAT Teams" no schemes to get you to pay more money to be in "advanced training"
    I agree they aren't marketed this way. They do offer privates which I could argue are similar to advanced training. Except you get what you pay for unlike most MCDojo schemes.

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFukYu
    Oh BJJ is hugely commercial, no doubt. God when "Redbelt" hits the movie theaters, BJJ will be as commercial as Karate was in the 80's.

Christ I'm long winded...in short, making money in and of itself is NOT bad. God knows I don't want to see my BJJ school close! So some commercial appeal is not always a bad thing.
    Indeed. At the risk of even further topic drift, it is all a matter of perspective. When I think of CMAs, I think of training in a public park or some peasant's field, or the YMCA when the weather dictates. Belts! Uniforms! Pads made out of something other than grass and oxen-****! Woohoo, now that's teh fanceh to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 11:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Wow. Do you live in America. I have only found One school in my area that doesn't have a contract.

Most of the people here talk about the contracts their BJJ schools have. So, your area must be in the minority or a new school.

The Cost saving is inherent in the Mcdojo schools also. Yes, some BJJ schools have high prices to.
    I agree they aren't marketed this way. They do offer privates which I could argue are similar to advanced training. Except you get what you pay for unlike most MCDojo schemes.
    Yes I live in America and I know THREE BJJ schools in a 20 mile radius:

1) a TMA Karate school that just brought in a very legit BJJ black belt instructor. You can do a month at a time for $150.00, 3 months for less than that (I think $135.00) 6 months for less than that (with a free Gi) and a year for $110.00

2) An MMA gym specializing in no-Gi BJJ taught by a brown belt for 100 bucks a month flat.

3) A really solid BJJ school owned and taught by a Carlos Machado 2nd degree black belt with some MMA (not much) for $150.00 a month unless you pay the year off up front. No contracts.

To be fair, the first one DOES have contracts but they aren't forced on you. You can pay by the month or sign up for a year. I guess I meant to say no forced contracts or something to that effect.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678