230782 Bullies, 5002 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 17 of 17
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Plasma is online now
    Plasma's Avatar

    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,099

    Posted On:
    1/12/2008 2:25am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dachande71787
    Yea, it jus in my religion you respect everyone with any form of courtesy (handshake, salute etc.) EXCEPT bowing. bowing is reserved for god. So i cant bow to anyone or anything (bowing to shrines like they do in some kung fu schools in completely forbidden) and I should tell everyone not to bow to me - however if they insist on bowing to me thatz fine because i need to respect their beliefs and ways. (Basically nothing deserves that courtesy/respect..yea i kno..itz harsh, but i am willing to salute or shake hands...LOL)

    But what if i talk to the sensai b4 hand...My TKD teacher back in the day didnt care. He allowed me not to bow, But that was a 'korean' art. The classical 'japanese' sword art teachers I've talk to say, "I gotta bow," so I just don't go to their class.

    but oh well...I'll just E-mail all the judo instructors and ask them myself. THANKS guys

    Thats only true for idiots that don't understand their own religion. Bowing as part of worship is completely different. You do understand Western culture also has non-religious bowing. Next time you go to a play look at the actors at the end during the curtain call. Then come back and tell me what they did.

    My favorite was I had a student that wouldn't meditate because his priest told him meditating let demons in.
  2. Fitz is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    875

    Posted On:
    1/12/2008 9:36am


     Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you don't mind me asking, what religion is it that you are adhering to?
  3. dachande71787 is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    71

    Posted On:
    1/12/2008 12:45pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NYC style

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    Thats only true for idiots that don't understand their own religion. Bowing as part of worship is completely different. You do understand Western culture also has non-religious bowing. Next time you go to a play look at the actors at the end during the curtain call. Then come back and tell me what they did.

    My favorite was I had a student that wouldn't meditate because his priest told him meditating let demons in.

    If bowing is mandatory, then it is the instructor's choice if he or she does not want to accomodate me or wants to accomodate me. It is the instructor's school and i will have to respect his/her descision.

    now my question to you is why are you making MY problem a bigger deal than even I am?



    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    If you don't mind me asking, what religion is it that you are adhering to?
    Umm this was a thread to ask bout judo schools in NYC with a sub-question if bowing is mandatory (which I shoulda never asked ehre and instead asked the actual instructors in the schools). I do not want to get in trouble with Admins for going off topic.


    So getting back on track if you all can just tell me what the good judo schools are in NYC that will be appreciated.

    Thank YOU
    Last edited by dachande71787; 1/12/2008 1:25pm at .
  4. Fitz is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    875

    Posted On:
    1/12/2008 2:57pm


     Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dachande71787
    Umm this was a thread to ask bout judo schools in NYC with a sub-question if bowing is mandatory (which I shoulda never asked ehre and instead asked the actual instructors in the schools). I do not want to get in trouble with Admins for going off topic.
    Hey, you started the thread and brought up the topic of your religious requirements in the course of the discussion. What your religion is and how best to address your concerns is very much on topic.
  5. Mas is offline
    Mas's Avatar

    Antiquated

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    856

    Posted On:
    1/12/2008 3:11pm


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dachande71787
    If bowing is mandatory, then it is the instructor's choice if he or she does not want to accomodate me or wants to accomodate me. It is the instructor's school and i will have to respect his/her descision.

    now my question to you is why are you making MY problem a bigger deal than even I am?
    Bowing is mandatory in the sport of Judo, if you do not bow you get Hansokumake (forfeit, possible expulsion from tournament) from many shidos (minor infraction of rules).

    Bowing in the Japanese tradition is just a way to show mutual respect, very similar to a handshake. I'm curious now as well, what or where in your religion are you forbidden to show respect to a peer?

  6. dachande71787 is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    71

    Posted On:
    1/12/2008 7:04pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NYC style

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fitz
    Hey, you started the thread and brought up the topic of your religious requirements in the course of the discussion. What your religion is and how best to address your concerns is very much on topic.
    Yea i did but it was just asking if it was goin to be a prbolem which apparently it will...but since u asked, (and as long as i dont get in trouble by any admins for talking religion,
    I am a Muslim.) ALso how to address my concerns is not by calling me an idiot for being religious which plasma did. Here in NYC we have a whole bunch of different types of people, from different religious backgrounds, sexual orientation, race, etc. and they have all different concerns, and we dont call them idiots for w/e reason. we take part in constructive dialogue, not insults.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mas
    Bowing in the Japanese tradition is just a way to show mutual respect, very similar to a handshake. I'm curious now as well, what or where in your religion are you forbidden to show respect to a peer?

    i am not forbidden to show respect. I can shake hands..salute..or any other form of respect. Just not lower my eyes/bow.

    Other schools have let me pass on the bowing thing, but they were korean schools. however japanese sword school did not let me pass so i jus did not jion the school. I just wanted to know if Judo instructors were as strict as kendo instructors. (which was stupid becuase I could of just asked the judo instructors directly, which I did last night by E-mail.)
  7. Tom Kagan is offline
    Tom Kagan's Avatar

    Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Posts
    5,602

    Posted On:
    1/13/2008 4:44pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a difference between "bowing" and "bowing down". If you are allowed to salute in any manner, you are already allowed to perform a gesture which has the exact same intent and purpose as "bowing down". However, "bowing" is not the same thing. Many Muslims compete in Judo and bow to an equal degree as their opponent - as required by the rules of Judo Shiai. Talk to your Sheik further.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

    "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

    "Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

    My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.