Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 12:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NYC style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

need to find a good judo school in NYC

First i would like to APOLOGIZE if this is in the wrong forum. I figured since its styles forum and im looking for a japanese style (judo) it will go here.

Okay now to business, I'm looking for a Judo school. However most of the judo schools i've seen only teach throwing (standup/clinch work). I would like to see some submission (i believe the term is kosen/newaza) judo stuff also. Basically I want a Judo class that teach me all aspects of Judo because I do not have the $$ to take Judo and then cross train in BJJ (which someone told me is basically submission judo). Also i will settle for a good jujutsu school in NYC that isnt all traditional and more judo like. (I've seen Jujutsu vids on youtube..ANd someone explained to me "good jujutsu" schools are jus liek judo school but with "old school judo rules" cuz "modern judo" rules limit you way to mch to a point where modern "mma tourney's allow more judo than judo tourney's do" - sorry if that doesnt make sense).

So yea, the boroughs I'm interested in taking these classes are in Manhattan or Queens and Staten Island. but brooklyn schools will be cool too, plz dont giveme info on Bronx schools.
    And the judo school doesnt necessarily need any affliation to the USJF or IJF or anything. it jus has to be good judo.

so any suggestions?

THANK YOU

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 3:20pm

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dachande71787
    First i would like to APOLOGIZE if this is in the wrong forum. I figured since its styles forum and im looking for a japanese style (judo) it will go here.

Okay now to business, I'm looking for a Judo school. However most of the judo schools i've seen only teach throwing (standup/clinch work). I would like to see some submission (i believe the term is kosen/newaza) judo stuff also. Basically I want a Judo class that teach me all aspects of Judo because I do not have the $$ to take Judo and then cross train in BJJ (which someone told me is basically submission judo). Also i will settle for a good jujutsu school in NYC that isnt all traditional and more judo like. (I've seen Jujutsu vids on youtube..ANd someone explained to me "good jujutsu" schools are jus liek judo school but with "old school judo rules" cuz "modern judo" rules limit you way to mch to a point where modern "mma tourney's allow more judo than judo tourney's do" - sorry if that doesnt make sense).

So yea, the boroughs I'm interested in taking these classes are in Manhattan or Queens and Staten Island. but brooklyn schools will be cool too, plz dont giveme info on Bronx schools.
    And the judo school doesnt necessarily need any affliation to the USJF or IJF or anything. it jus has to be good judo.

so any suggestions?

THANK YOU
    I don't know what Judo schools you've been looking at that do zero ground work. Most Judo schools are between 20-50% newaza.

Anyways, this link will give you a fair amount of Judo schools in the NYC area (http://www.hudsonjudo.org/ny.html). If you want more Judo info go to http://judoforum.com/ and ask there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 3:39pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiNnyX4
    I don't know what Judo schools you've been looking at that do zero ground work. Most Judo schools are between 20-50% newaza.
    And NYC has a number of newaza enthusiasts...Higashi Sensei...Oishi Sensei...Shiina Sensei...

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can personally vouch for the Oishi Judo Club and NY Combat Sambo.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 4:13pm

Style: Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Combat Judo Academy
    14 Central Avenue
    Massapequa, NY 11758

For Information:
    COMBATJUDO@gmail.com

For Website:
    http://www.combatjudo.us

We combined the following three disciplines into all of our techniques.
    Traditional Judo, BJJ, and Wrestling into a Judo Hybrid. Plus our rates for all the classes are very very reasonable. Checkout the Website or Contact us.

Our Club is right off the LIRR Massapequa Train Station and very accessible from Manhattan, Brooklyn, or Queens.

Our Schedule:
    BJJ: Mon, Wed 8 to 10pm
    Judo: Tue, Thu 8 to 10pm, Sat 12 to 2pm.

Hope to see you there, either way Good Luck with your training and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Train Hard, Stay Safe,
    Good Luck

Combat Judo Academy
    Last edited by Mdrnsamurai; 1/11/2008 4:16pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 5:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiNnyX4
    What I wrote is all SECOND HAND VERBAL knowledge so forgive me if I'm wrong. I am not very educated in which MA teaches what.

One mroe question. Other japanese arts (specifically kendo/kenjutsu) make a big deal out of bowing and traditional buddism stuff. My religion does not allow me to bow to anyone or anything. My question is are Judo teachers strict about traditional practices, like iado and kendo and some other traditional arts such as bbt, or are they more like high school coaches who dont care and jus teach u to win?

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 6:04pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tradition varies from club to club. The no bowing issue will probably be a problem though. In my club, we are not exactly what most people would be called traditional, but we do bow. Bowing is just a form of greeting, show of respect, or a heads-up that I am about to throw you. If you were to translate it to words, a bow could mean "Hey, good to see/meet you.", "Thanks for training.", or "I'm about to throw you, so be alert."

Bowing is not seen as some kind of subservient thing. It is a show of respect amongst equals. I don't really see how this could be a problem with most religions. And if it is a problem, someone should speak to the religion's leaders and explain the issue. I just don't see how a respectful greeting to equals could be a problem, and this is how we see bowing at our club.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 9:21pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, it jus in my religion you respect everyone with any form of courtesy (handshake, salute etc.) EXCEPT bowing. bowing is reserved for god. So i cant bow to anyone or anything (bowing to shrines like they do in some kung fu schools in completely forbidden) and I should tell everyone not to bow to me - however if they insist on bowing to me thatz fine because i need to respect their beliefs and ways. (Basically nothing deserves that courtesy/respect..yea i kno..itz harsh, but i am willing to salute or shake hands...LOL)

But what if i talk to the sensai b4 hand...My TKD teacher back in the day didnt care. He allowed me not to bow, But that was a 'korean' art. The classical 'japanese' sword art teachers I've talk to say, "I gotta bow," so I just don't go to their class.

but oh well...I'll just E-mail all the judo instructors and ask them myself. THANKS guys
    Last edited by dachande71787; 1/11/2008 9:32pm at .

Posted On:
    1/12/2008 1:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simple solution: Don't be religious.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2008 2:12am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or I can just ask the instructors to make an exception (my tkd teacher did)? Or train in any other art (plenty of other stuff out there, could always go back to wrestling)?
    Furthermore i didnt ask what I should do (about the bowing), i asked if it was going to be problem so I can solve it myself the way I want to, but thank you for your input anyways. you are very kind sir.
    :)
    Last edited by dachande71787; 1/12/2008 2:30am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast