Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 10:54am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The body of "Yan Lei"

Maybe you heard of Yan Lei before.

He is a kungfu practitioner but really not like others.He has the body of a vert tough kick boxer and his kungfu is not like that on films or BS (like stupid jumps,chi strikes etc.)

In the combat magazine (July 2007) (you can download it from http://rapidshare.com/files/79252144..._July_2007.rar )
    he says he never does weight training.He says that it slows people and he does punching,kicking,squats and etc.

What I want to ask is, is it really possible to have a body like that without having weight training.Or is he naturally gifted?

Actually practicing with weights is very boring for me but I thought it was the only way to be fit.
    I prefer doing 100 punches to 8x3 bench presses.It is more fun I think :D

I would be really happy if someone enlightens me on this.

With all respect...

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 6:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, Kali Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go to http://bodyweightculture.com/

has just about every non weighted excercise you can do. A lot of the guys on there use some weights in addition to bodyweight excercises. Some things are just hard to replace without weights (deadlift for instance). Nonetheless, they have a lot of good ideas, check it out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 6:41pm

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup I sent nearly the same message to that forum too thank you. :)

the site looks crazy :D

But to my opinion , because of being a crazy-idea-workout site they will all encourage me like "yes of course its possible try this" etc.

I still want to hear opinions of people from this site to see what is BS and what is not :)

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 6:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, Kali Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very understandable. I have seen that question posted there many times in the last few weeks and almost all the responses are very realistic. Many of the high posters there do lift weights and attribute at least some of their gains to lifting weights. You can definately get big from bodyweight excercises, but there are limits also.

One other thing: it depends where you draw the line between lifting weights and bodyweight excercises. For instance, is doing pullups or dips with weight counted as lifting weight or bodyweight? A little of both I think. Really, there's no need to be exclusive in what type of excercises you do just as there's no reason to think that one MA is supreme to all others. Keeping your muscles guessing is always a good way to get a good workout.

:)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 7:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Euro Kickboxing, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing is shaolin monks devote their lives entirely to what they do. Because of that even if their training methods aren't the most efficient they can still be effective.

Even if you hate weight training, in my opinion you should still do it 1-2 times a week along with your bodyweight/other training that you do. It also depends on how fit you are already. For instance can you do pull-ups? plyo push-ups? jump rope? double unders? one leg squats? hand stand push ups? How do you plan on exercising your shoulders and traps without weights if you cant do HSPUs?

I'm not a big fan of lifting weights either but incorporating it into your training will help you get the results you seek faster.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/12/2008 4:23pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its genes. Some people don't have to lift weights to maintain a good shape. Almost any vigorous exercise will work.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/12/2008 5:25pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Its genes. Some people don't have to lift weights to maintain a good shape. Almost any vigorous exercise will work.
    I agree. People thought I played football for years (until I got fat). When people see my pictures they can't believe, all I did was swim competitively for almost 15 years.

Yes, I did push ups, sit ups and that ilk but, no weights.