Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 1:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as defining "shots to the head" anything that cuases brain trauma i.e. impact trauma that cuases brain tissue to impact against skull. Im not trying to wuss out on the pain (im all for it actually) but I already took a life's worth of brain trauma, and dont want to go back to having head aches and blured vision every few days.
    If you've had serious head trauma, then no instructor should think you're wussing out in not wanting to do heavy contact sparring. If that's their attitude, then they're not worth training with. A good instructor should be able to work around that and still give you some realistic skills.

One thing to consider if you want to develop weapons skill is sparring where you just target the opponent's weapon hand or free hand. You can go as hard as you want and not risk any injury to the head. At the same time you'll be working an important weapon skill. Any good FMA teacher should be able to help you with this kind of sparring. If you really own that skillset, then you have a big part of the game for weapon work.

This kind of limited sparring combined with good drilling and basics should give you some useful skills. If you are going to spar go with solid headgear like the WEKAF helmet and light sticks. The fencing helmets are not really intended to take the impact of the stick and you take a heavier shot in a fencing helmet than a WEKAF helmet.

I don't know of any FMA instructors in Kansas. Your best bet is to keep looking on the internet. Try some of the FMA forums because someone might know a group that trains out of a garage. Good luck

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 11:31am

Style: Eskrima/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a small school in Wichita, Kansas. I used to be stationed at Ft Riley and it is about a 2 hours drive.

We teach CTS; it is a tactical system based on a lot of the teachings of Doce Pares and Pekiti Tirsia. My instructor is a Mataas Na Guro in Pekiti and ranked directly under Cacoy Canete in Doce Pares.

All of that aside...the proof or validity is in the training. If you want to do some knife work shoot me an email or a PM. I could get some guys in for the weekend if you can only make it down to train then.

Come try a free hour or two on me.

Hope this helps! And if you are up on Custer Hill stay safe! I have not ran the loop or the golf course for years.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2011 12:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dumas View Post
    I have a small school in Wichita, Kansas. I used to be stationed at Ft Riley and it is about a 2 hours drive.

We teach CTS; it is a tactical system based on a lot of the teachings of Doce Pares and Pekiti Tirsia. My instructor is a Mataas Na Guro in Pekiti and ranked directly under Cacoy Canete in Doce Pares.

All of that aside...the proof or validity is in the training. If you want to do some knife work shoot me an email or a PM. I could get some guys in for the weekend if you can only make it down to train then.

Come try a free hour or two on me.

Hope this helps! And if you are up on Custer Hill stay safe! I have not ran the loop or the golf course for years.
    Are you still active? I am new to Kansas and Wichita. Well if the man only wants to drill I more than willing. Email me tim_schow@yahoo.com

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/09/2011 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance View Post
    WEKAF Helmets have a ton of padding and you don't feel jack squat unless you get a nice hard whack over the ear guard. in which case it just jars or shocks you.
    I did a good deal of sparring and even a few Dog Brothers matches with a fencing mask before I ever tried WEKAF helmets. I was shocked at how well they protect the head, since I was used to head strikes in a fencing mask, which are both loud and painful.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2011 2:36am

Style: Limalama

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
    I'm in the Kansas city area, not Manhattan/Ft Riley. As far as training limitation I cant take any shots to the head for a while, very frustrating. Ive searched for the Dog Brothers affiliates (they wear helmets) and cant find them. Ill look for modern arnis

Thanks
    If by "shots" you mean punches, I would definately not be looking at a full contact fma such as dog brothers stuff, a rattan stick is going to do more damage than a gloved fist despite having a fencing helmit on.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/10/2011 10:52am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    If by "shots" you mean punches, I would definately not be looking at a full contact fma such as dog brothers stuff, a rattan stick is going to do more damage than a gloved fist despite having a fencing helmit on.
    Yeah, but Dog Brothers type sparring is less common than WEKAF style sparring, which protects the head far better than a fencing mask.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12