Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 8:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knife training in Kansas

I'm new here, just back from Iraq and I am looking for some training with a knife. I wont be able to take to many shots to the head for a while (if ever) so I am looking for something I do can do until Im back in game.

Thanks

Vinny:qtank:

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 3:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vinny,
    You are probably loking around in the Manhattan area. There used to be a Hop-Ki-Do studio downtown, but the guy got cought abusing children. Now there is a Combative Sports Center in Manhattan. They teach BJJ, Judo. It's under Gracie Barra Miami. There is also a Tae-Kwon-Do studio. If you don't need Manhattan area, maybe I could point you to some where else.
    The most important thing is you let your instructor know what you feel you can and can not do. Take it slow, there are a lot of ways you still need to heal.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 3:48am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Manhattan?

He said Kansas in the title of this thread.

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 7:48am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve, Manhattan Kansas. It's the town where Kansas State University is. Not that most people know about it. But there it is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 9:18am

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it a big town?
    Have you looked at the Pekiti Tirsia / Modern Arnis / Doce Pares / Dog Brothers
    websites to see if there are any instructors near you?

Silat is also a good option too.

If not try looking for a JKD Concepts school. they should have some good FMA.

Stay the hell away from KMA/JMA they usually have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to weapons training unless they supplemented it with something else.

Posted On:
    1/12/2008 8:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in the Kansas city area, not Manhattan/Ft Riley. As far as training limitation I cant take any shots to the head for a while, very frustrating. Ive searched for the Dog Brothers affiliates (they wear helmets) and cant find them. Ill look for modern arnis

Thanks

Posted On:
    1/12/2008 12:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't trained in the KC area. I'm sure there are others here who have. Sorry, I couldn't be more of a help.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    1/12/2008 10:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vintovka
    I'm in the Kansas city area, not Manhattan/Ft Riley. As far as training limitation I cant take any shots to the head for a while, very frustrating. Ive searched for the Dog Brothers affiliates (they wear helmets) and cant find them. Ill look for modern arnis

Thanks
    Hey vintovka,

Technically, the fencing masks aren't helmets, the backside is completely open. And I've taken a shot across the temple that dropped me, through a 3-weapons mask (the heaviest ones). For your safety, please don't think the masks eliminate the danger of head shots. Learn to protect the head, regardless of where/with whom you study.

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 12:56am

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vintovka

Thanks
    Define shots to the head?

Try a Doce Pares school. WEKAF sparring sounds up your alley if your trying to avoid head injury... Dog Brothers = Higher Conciousness through harder contact for a reason. I don't know a whole lot of modern arnis schools that spar regularly.

WEKAF Helmets have a ton of padding and you don't feel jack squat unless you get a nice hard whack over the ear guard. in which case it just jars or shocks you.

Or go with padded sticks or just work on drills and stuff until your well enough to bop/bang it out.

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 11:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog
    Hey vintovka,

Technically, the fencing masks aren't helmets, the backside is completely open. And I've taken a shot across the temple that dropped me, through a 3-weapons mask (the heaviest ones). For your safety, please don't think the masks eliminate the danger of head shots. Learn to protect the head, regardless of where/with whom you study.

Aloha, Poi
    rodger, Im not ready to take another head shot just yet, nut shot, face shot, arm and throat shot yes, but no more trauma to the brain for a bit.

As far as defining "shots to the head" anything that cuases brain trauma i.e. impact trauma that cuases brain tissue to impact against skull. Im not trying to wuss out on the pain (im all for it actually) but I already took a life's worth of brain trauma, and dont want to go back to having head aches and blured vision every few days.

I need to learn to use a knife (beyond jamming it through someone) because I may not ever be able to train full contact again. Its a strange situation but I need to be able to fight without getting hit a lot in training, and I hate kata.

Vin

Thanks
    Last edited by vintovka; 1/13/2008 11:49am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast