222497 Bullies, 4153 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 1:28pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am scared of ART!

Over the last few months, I've been developing problems with my calves (and no, I am not talking baby cows). I used to be able to skip for the boxing warm up for a least three rounds before I gave up for cardio reasons, now my calves fatigue out and get very painful much earlier than that. It's gotten so bad I can only skip for about a minute and then I have to stop and stretch against the wall. I can also feel a lumpy texture in my lower calves and they are tight pretty much all of the time, which restricts the range of motion of my ankles and can make it painful to go down the stairs. So, I am finally taking my husband's advice and seeing a sports therapist tomorrow.

Thing is, I am terrified of Active Release Therapy. My husband has told me how painful it is as they basically tear scar tissue that's binding your muscles, and honestly, he's pretty much too thick to feel pain. I, on the other hand, am a total wimp about pain (I took ibuprofen before getting my tatoo, the artist laughed at me).

So, has anyone had ART and lived to tell the tale? Does it hurt like they say it does? The receptionist at the therapy clinic said 'yes, but it's a good pain'. Riiight. Most of all, does it work? Is there anything I should do beforehand (I'm thinking ibuprofen and scotch, but that's me).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 3:19am

Style: WHKD & Doce Pares

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tore the inner calf muscle about 15 years ago and they did this to keep scar tissue from building while it healed. I had it done 3 times per week for 2 months. It hurt like hell for about the first 3-5 minutes every single session. The PT that worked on me would apply ice prior to "attacking" the scar tissue with her evil boney elbow. It was very painful but it worked very well. The muscle was fine in a couple months but my achilles tendon grew to about 3 times its normal diameter and stayed swollen for well over a year. (caused by the tear not the therapy)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 4:36am

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best bet is to try not to be scared of pain. Fear bad health more than you fear pain. The root of this is the dilemma of suffering versus life. Like, would you want to live forever if it meant being in pain, or do you want to just end it?

That's basically what it is. You suffer the pain of therapy, but it is necessary for your health improvements, for giving your activeness life.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 9:26am

Style: Wing Chun; Modern Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure, but I seem to know ART under the name of 'myofascial release'. And yes, myofascial release can hurt like hell (I say this from both the perspectives of a patient and trainee in physical therapy), but a good practitioner will be doing their best to make sure that it is not greatly uncomfortable.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 9:42am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pain in the short term beats the hell out of chronic pain every time you want to train. when had this done, I'd just imagine how great it feels after the session is over... that and I would think about the swim team girls in their skimpy suits next to me.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 10:18am

Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboy
    that and I would think about the swim team girls in their skimpy suits next to me.
    Ummmm, somehow I don't think this will work for me. But hey, maybe the chiro will be cute...

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tore several muscles in my back about 3 years ago (jeez, time goes by quickly), and had to do myofascial release (or ART) to help heal some of the scar tissue, increase blood flow, and reduce muscle tightness. They worked on 14 points in my back that was in constant pain throughout the day. He would kneed (sp?) the points with either his thumbs or elbow, going back and forth untill it was no longer painfull, then he would go deeper untill the initial pain was reduced by 50 - 75%. It was painfull at times, however it's a "good pain" in that as the session goes on, the pain tends to decrease.

My advice to you is to get is to focus on your breathing and your body during the process. Focus on taking slow, deep breaths, and work on relaxing your calves each time you exhale. The pain should start to be more bearable as you keep breathing and focusing on relaxing. Talk to your therapist and let him know if the pain is unbearable, he should be able to lighten it up alittle bit till you get accustomed too it.

Don't worry too much, you'll be feeling a lot better after a few sessions. Think of it as a time to get some body work done and get in touch with your body

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroChick
    Does it hurt like they say it does?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroChick
    Most of all, does it work?
    Yes. The results are immediate. Three sessions did more to unlock my fucked up shoulder than 6 months of the prior physical therapy.

Just so you know, "ART" is a trademark. Neuromuscular Reeducation (NMR), myofascial release, Rolfing, etc. are pretty similar.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 1/11/2008 2:22pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 2:55pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know 'bout no stinking ART, but myofascial release massages are the only type of massage I bother with due to old injuries. They do more for me than going to chiropractor or the doctor.

Sports massage therapists. Get to know one.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 1:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, that sucked, but it wasn't as bad as I was fearing. I did get ART on my calves and yes, it hurt, but never beyond my limits. I got some acupuncture too (first time) which was cool. And yes, I've noticed an improvement already - today is the first day in months that I've been able to go down stairs without leaning on the handrails. I have another session scheduled this week, and we'll see how things progress from there.

Thanks for the input, guys!