Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 2:41pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    Shooting someone with a machinegun is not very good Aikido.

Or maybe we finally found the real Aikido

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 3:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think if we can what our martial art includes and doesn't include this freely, then I'd like to suggest BJJ training also includes the necessary macroeconomic framework to properly budget a war in addition to legal ownership of algebra, Arabic numerals, and several methods for removing cataracts.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 3:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this topic touches on a much bigger topic of discussion. A funny thing I have noticed is that most really famous martial artists have almost no proof of them ever fighting anyone. Bruce lee never fought in tounaments, nor did Funicoshi, Jigaro Kano, or Ueshiba. Fame as a martial artist rarely comes from winning, except maybe in the case of the Gracey family.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 3:43pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MixedMetalArms
    I think this topic touches on a much bigger topic of discussion. A funny thing I have noticed is that most really famous martial artists have almost no proof of them ever fighting anyone. Bruce lee never fought in tounaments, nor did Funicoshi, Jigaro Kano, or Ueshiba. Fame as a martial artist rarely comes from winning, except maybe in the case of the Gracey family.
    Or Kano, Or Mas Oyama, but in general you have a point.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 4:18pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

There a lot of evidence of Kano fighting.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 4:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That may be the case, but in judo, Kano is not said to have won street fights or been fighting multiple opponents. He was good at standing randori (and bad at ground work) and is said to have defeated his collueges in randori with his new throws.
    I think that Aikido emphasizes the "superhuman powers" of Ueshiba in order to disguise the lack of fighting in the art itself. And worse: maybe Ueshiba wasn't such a great fighter himself either?:eusa_thin

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 5:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    Or Kano, Or Mas Oyama, but in general you have a point.
    I put kano on my list. Oyama fought all the freeking time i think. Rememebr the whole "100 man kumite" thing

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 5:22pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I put kano on my list. Oyama fought all the freeking time i think. Rememebr the whole "100 man kumite" thing
    I meant Kano doesn't belong on your list. He belongs on the list of exceptions. In his case it was more that his students were dominant fighters, but there is plenty of evidence of him competing.

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 6:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikido Bunny
    DCS, which are the reliable sources telling of Ueshiba fights?
    For instance, one of his challengers (Saburo Wakuta, aka Tenryu, Sumo champion) wrote himself:

I dissolved the Kansai Sumo Association in 1937 and in January of 1938 I went to Manchuria as a physical education instructor. In the spring of 1939 in an effort to spread Japanese martial arts in Manchuria too, we invited Japanese teachers to the country and arranged to have high local officials observe their demonstrations. The arts demonstrated were Kendo, Judo, Kyudo and Aikido. Since the dojo had not yet been completed, we asked the participants to give demonstrations in the dojo of the Chuo Bank.

Ueshiba Sensei brought Mr. (Noriaki) Inoue with him. After they showed some techniques, Ueshiba Sensei said: “You are probably thinking that we cannot possibly do these techniques without some sort of collusion between us. Since you are all martial arts practitioners, if there is a man among you, come and test this old man.” However, no one stepped forward. At 35 I was the youngest among them. I had recently arrived in Manchuria and several government officials were observing the demonstration. I thought that I should test my own ability and said, “Yes, I will try”. Ueshiba Sensei replied: “You are Mr. Tenryu, aren’t you? You too are probably imagining that an old man like me won’t be able to throw you very well. However, budo is much more than what you think it is. He offered his left hand saying it was weaker than his right and continued: “You must be quite strong physically. I am not putting strength into my arm so you can do anything you want with it. Try!”

I thought that this old man was speaking nonsense and slapped his hand down as I grabbed it. But the moment I touched him I was startled. I felt as if I had taken hold of an iron bar. Of course, I knew very well from my experience in Sumo that it would be useless to struggle against him. I immediately knew I had been defeated. However, I couldn’t just leave things like that and attempted to twist his arm up and out. He didn’t move an inch. I tried again with both hands using all my might. But he used my strength against me and I fell down.
    On another ocassion, Tenryu wrote:

I thought to myself, “This old man isn’t much of anything.” As you know he is a small-built person. However, as soon as I casually took hold of his arm. I could sense from my experience in Sumo that this man was really something. It felt as if I had grabbed an iron bar. I wanted to acknowledge defeat right away, despite the fact that everybody was watching. Then Sensei said, “You go ahead and do anything you want with my hand. You can twist it, push it or wrench it. I am not putting any strength in it.” So I again went to grab it with all my might. Sensei then instantaneously evaded and before I realized it I said, “I’m beaten. Till now I had harbored a little doubt about your ability but your kokyu and the power you just showed have made me realize everything. Please allow me to become your student.’ Sensei then replied, ‘I appreciate a person like you asking in such a frank way. I will allow you to be my student.
    Various sources, including people who were there confirm this encounter. For instance Shigenobu Okumura, who was in Manchuria studying at Kenkoku University stated in an interview: "'Eventually, though, Tenryu started becoming a little too full of himself, so Ueshiba Sensei called him out. Tenryu really went after him, but before he could even engage, Ueshiba Sensei had already evaded him and applied a technique. I was there and saw the encounter with my own eyes."
    Last edited by DCS; 1/13/2008 6:29pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 6:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    Various sources, including people who were there confirm this encounter. For instance Shigenobu Okumura, who was in Manchuria studying at Kenkoku University stated in an interview: "'Eventually, though, Tenryu started becoming a little too full of himself, so Ueshiba Sensei called him out. Tenryu really went after him, but before he could even engage, Ueshiba Sensei had already evaded him and applied a technique. I was there and saw the encounter with my own eyes."
    Thanks, DCS! I've read that Tenryu joined Ueshiba to train aikido after this event. But he only stayed three months. Is there any explanation why? After a superhuman display of power like this, one would think that Tenryu would be more interested.

P.S. Where are the quotes from?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast