Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2008 4:43pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don "Jive Turkey" Gwinn
    Hmm. Well, you know, Grandmaster Parham of COMBA-TAI (The Grand Struggle) did once claim that he taught Melvin a better way to punch to the body that produced a dramatic effect on opponents. Actually one of the followers noticed a similarity and Parham acknowledged that he'd taught it to Guillard.
    Parham is a karate guy from way back, and Comba-Tai used to be called "Comba-Tai Kenpo," so it all sort of fits, if you squint.

I know it is useless of me to ask this, but here goes.

I think it is fair for me to request that anyone not familiar with Kempo Comba-Tai please reframe from talking about it. If your comment concerning Karate means that Grandmaster Parhamís approach to martial arts is not confined to limits, I would say you are on the right track. Although as usual, I think in your insecurity about your own novice abilities you are trying to put people and art forms down for no good reason. If Parham indeed studied Comba-TaióIím just guessing-- heís more than as you say, ďkarate guy.Ē But donít believe our claims, perhaps you can use some of your exstensive six month BJJ skills and martial art knowledge to prove my claims is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Don "Jive Turkey" Gwinn
    Comba-Tai used to be called "Comba-Tai Kenpo,"
    It seems no claim youíve ever made against Comba-Tai has been accurate! That is why you were asked not to defend it, not to talk about it and definitely do not use your adolescent skills to prove it. We think you are better at putting arts and people down than anything else. Don, please, stick with what you do best, it makes us all feel a HELL of a lot better when INTERNET MARTIAL ARTIST stay with their strengths! However, you did make one thought provoking claim and that was Comba-Tai is Afro-Centric. The interesting thing is, I actually believe you are disturbed enough to believe this is a put down! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrocentrism

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2008 4:59pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Melvin Gulliard, is a phenomenal athlete, with the right coach he could be unbeatable. He is only using 20% of his ability. If he settled down on his punches and on his Newaza, well he would be unstoppable. But I understand why some would hate him here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lALc5ARwes

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/06/2008 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFukYu
    Same thing with Sherk and the (comparitively) small amount of Deca in his system.
    To my understanding, this argument stems from a typo on wikipedia and that Sherk's numbers were actually way off the charts.

edit: can't find an article I found really breaking this down but to my recollection, elite female athletes may produce around 1ng/ml of the metabolite deca produces and men around half that. Thus, sherk's 12 is 20 times what you'd expect from an elite athlete.
    Last edited by UpaLumpa; 2/06/2008 5:27pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2008 11:15pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.irishwhipfighting.com/200...interview.html

BZ: I recently read that you got your BJJ blue belt under Ricco Rodriguez. What has that experience -- working with a former champion – been like?

MG: It’s good, man. I’ve been focusing on my weaknesses and obviously my weak point is my jiu-jitsu. I got caught in silly submissions before, but now I’m the one putting people in them. I really want to be a well-rounded fighter and I’m putting myself to the test to see if I can roll with some of the best. I’m going to be doing some submission and grappling tournaments too, to keep my skills sharp.

Apparently he is getting that ground training.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 1:52am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's... so good to hear that he's putting people in silly submissions.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 7:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melkolmr
    http://www.irishwhipfighting.com/200...interview.html

BZ: I recently read that you got your BJJ blue belt under Ricco Rodriguez. What has that experience -- working with a former champion Ė been like?

Apparently he is getting that ground training.
    And now we know who's supplying his cocaine as well!

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 9:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't believe I actually came across this thread kinda late in the game (I guess). Interesting about the Ricco Rodriguez thing cause I was just watching him a few days ago on Celebrity Rehab. Also, about his Jiu-Jitsu (grappling for all the ones who hate that Jiu-Jitsu is pretty much another generic term for ground fighting) comments, I've always found them and the guys who make them vary curious. To me, if you don't like fighting on the ground and dealing with subs and all the stuff that comes with that, to include getting caught in "silly" submissions then why the hell aren't you doing kickboxing!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 4:39pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    I can't believe I actually came across this thread kinda late in the game (I guess). Interesting about the Ricco Rodriguez thing cause I was just watching him a few days ago on Celebrity Rehab. Also, about his Jiu-Jitsu (grappling for all the ones who hate that Jiu-Jitsu is pretty much another generic term for ground fighting) comments, I've always found them and the guys who make them vary curious. To me, if you don't like fighting on the ground and dealing with subs and all the stuff that comes with that, to include getting caught in "silly" submissions then why the hell aren't you doing kickboxing!
    Maybe because there's no money in kickboxing?

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's plenty of money in boxing; if he doesn't want to get submitted he can always go...

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...9531&cat=boxer

...get KOed in the first round.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 1:42am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahuyuddha
    Maybe because there's no money in kickboxing?
    Not here in the US, but in other places, it's big. Also there's boxing as mentioned already, or he can apply his wrestling experience on the "professional" circuit...lol! Hell, if it's all about the money then pro-wrestling is the way to go, he certainly has the "character" for it. Of course there isn't much money for in the beginning. Then again, wrestling still pulls bigger crowds then MMA which means a larger pool of groupie tang.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789