Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 2:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Strength percentiles?

Is there any data on average strength? Wondering what'd be the strength levels for someone in the top 10th percentile for example?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd imagine it would depend on so many factors that it isn't even worth calculating.

For example, a strong, but small woman can easily squat double her bodyweight, whereas some big guy like in the Strong Man competitions have a lot harder time squatting double their weight, since those guys weigh like 300lbs each. However, they are stronger in absolute terms, so they can lift more than the woman can.

So which strength are you referring to?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 5:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Absolute strength. Found some average numbers that apparently come from Men's Health surveys, which in turn draw from studies of some sort. Can't find any references to the studies so not taking them very seriously.

AVERAGE MAN (spectrum) :

* height = 5'8 - 5'10
    * weight = 160 - 180 lbs.
    * bench press (1RM) = 135 - 185 lbs.
    * deadlift (1RM) = 185 - 235 lbs.
    * squat (1RM) = 185 - 235 lbs.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 9:04pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by angry welshman
    Is there any data on average strength? Wondering what'd be the strength levels for someone in the top 10th percentile for example?
    Dude, what the hell?

Exactly 8 days ago, fatherdog gave you an answer, a link to weightlifting standards for average strenght for the main lifts, broken down by age and gender:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...2&postcount=28

And three hours later, I gave you, not one, but two links on ideal strenght percentile relationships between lifts performed by an athlete.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...3&postcount=33

You answer is there. All you have to do is read it.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 1/09/2008 9:06pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 5:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, that was stupid of me.