Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2008 4:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hi there GS
    a mate told me to join his MMA class, bcs they did a lot of bjj and muay, but atm he has a slipped disc and I didnt have time xD

Well IMO the Aikido techs can be used in that situation of groundfighting, but....did you find Suwari Waza from your normal training "useful"?

I'll explain, 2 of my mates can't do suwari propperly. They injured their knees doing it and now, one of them can display like 5 min of suwari and then he must stop, is painful for him.

The other one... has to use surgery in the knee and now he canīt do suwari, nor walking without problems.

Infidel

Posted On:
    1/12/2008 1:17pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xlins

Well IMO the Aikido techs can be used in that situation of groundfighting, but....did you find Suwari Waza from your normal training "useful"?
    I was more comfotable I think but I'd owe that to the other dudes probably never being in that position. The minute w started they kinda half stood up and came at me where as I stayed lower, I found it was easier to grab them and move them.

Once we were locked up or whatever you call it I don't think it really made a difference.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 5:44pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my brief study of Aikido, I did find I got a decent introduction to body mechanics. It was more concepts that would augment another martial art than techniques that would actually work in a fight. I did meet a few people who studied Aikido and were scrappers. Back then, I assumed they could fight because they studied Aikido. Maybe they were just scrappers.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 9:09am

Style: Judo + sports ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido is a complement to other MAs, but not much use in its own. I'm sure there are aikido techniques that can be useful to most grapplers or subwrestlers.

However, training aikido means doing a lot of things outside practising and applying techniques. Many of those things are what many people (yes, me too) find uninteresting, irrelevant, or downright silly. Which is exactly why I don't know when I'll train aikido again.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 10:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took two more Karate classes after I started BJJ at my current gym. I realize thats not Akido, but meh.

One of the guys asked if I always smiled before and after I get tapped. I guess I am just having fun, even when I am getting my ass kicked.

Welcome to the club GuiltySpark. I am three months in and addicted.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234