Posted On:
    1/16/2008 8:16pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    'I'll make'
    And if anyone dares suggest that same-sex couples are emancipated from oppression...
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 8:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    I always imagined DAYoung looked like his avatar.
    I shaved.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 8:18pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    And if anyone dares suggest that same-sex couples are emancipated from oppression...

I'm the boss of fighting,she can be the boss of....house cleaning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 8:24pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhauk87
    I do the punch pull thing for my makiwara only.. I don't do that with 16 oz gloves on at muay thai.. I also don't pull my makiwara punches back immediately because I'm trying to let the force of my strike return to my body..
    Consistency is something you should strive for.

From what I see of your makiwara work Tang Soo Do doesn't have effective punches...or it's you.

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 8:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm the boss of fighting, she can be the boss of....house cleaning.
    That can be the title of your contribution to my rapping thread.

MC AnnaT: terminatin' suckers like a Cyberdyne hybrid.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did Karate from '89 to '94. My kicks were relatively fast, accurate and strong, but: 1. not necessarily by MT standards; and 2. not any more.

I think the hips are a problem, too.

Yes, the makiwara is a pain - it really stops me committing, and limits my strikes. As you've no doubt seen, I've a thread on outdoors kick bags.

I'm wearing jeans a loose blue shirt now. Is that better?
    For anyone that doesn't have a heavy bag... shadow box. The makiwara thing really seems to have little/nothing to do with heavy bag training. Also as far as straight up technique training goes, it seems to me that shadow boxing will be more beneficial anyway. Hitting something with no give is just going to put you in the habit of not following through with your techniques.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhauk87
    you're a funny guy

I thought you said you used to use a makiwara? Well.. I didnt use my right punch because It's got a nasty, deep scab atm.. I know my left chambered is kind of *****... I've got a good explanation for not using my bag.. it's shitty and I can't use footwork too well right now because of a previous bilateral tibia fracture I'm recovering from.. I can't even use my front stance with a straight back leg because of all the atrophy..

I basicaly just went to my makiwara to generate as much power as I could and record it..
    So basically you posted a video of you doing some totally unrelated nonsense with the idea that if anyone tried telling you what you were doing wrong you'd post a bunch of excuses about being injured?

Tell me exactly, why did you bother posting this crap? I have to admit, I am still not entirely convinced your posts on this thread aren't trolling and I'm very tempted to move them to strikeistan's version of trollshido aka the karate forums.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:22pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sadly, I wasnt being funny, there was an actual debate in my mind as to whether or not someone was trolling my thread. Take it as you may. I'd take it as a reason to drop tang soo do.

That being said it's a terrible habit to get into to leave your arm extended. You're putting more push then pop into your strike. There's no need to try and push through the target. You should strike, deliver all your energy and withdraw your strike quickly. Also you're leaning way to far forward in an attempt to push even harder.

Perfect advise - I had the same habit (I also did TSD) - then I joined a boxing gym and watched as the instructors laughed at me pushing the heavy bag and getting exhausted very quickly. I learned to break that habit (when it comes to bags); however - it still sticks with me from time to time while sparring.

Listen to her, it perfect advise, you're doing the same thing I did with the same reasoning. She's not being mean, like I said I did the same thing.
    I do find it a bit odd that once you felt the truth behind MT that you kept really anything from TSD.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK. Here's my kicks video. I only have a makiwara at the moment, so I'm not kicking too hard.

As for the rest - I have no excuses.

Pros

1. I'm actually hitting things (while nursing my neck to health).

Cons

1. Foot stays in the air.

2. Hands aren't up properly.

3. Mechanical.

4. Slow and telegraphed.

5. Typo: 'pile' instead of 'pine' (hemorrhoid parapraxis).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-pzXx4QyGE
    Ok this is going to be a little redundant if you read the other critique I posted but whatever.

Step out at past your target at a 45 degree angle as you trow your kick. This will open up your hips and give you room to follow trough on the kick.

Turn your hip past your target. Doing this will allow you to throw the weight of your body into the kick rather than just your leg.

Try and make all the little motions in your kick into one continuous motion, from the step to returning your foot to the ground.

Also if you're kicking something that you don't want to kick hard but you don't want to **** up your technique, tone down the speed and merely connect your shin to the target and follow through with your hips and push off. This allows you to practice the technique on something hard without busting your leg.

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    For anyone that doesn't have a heavy bag... shadow box. The makiwara thing really seems to have little/nothing to do with heavy bag training. Also as far as straight up technique training goes, it seems to me that shadow boxing will be more beneficial anyway. Hitting something with no give is just going to put you in the habit of not following through with your techniques.
    I'm sure you're right, technically (i.e. in terms of technique).

But sometimes you just need to hit stuff, and I don't have anywhere to put a heavy bag (yet).

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast