Sponsored Links Spacer Image

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just uploaded this one of me practicing my t3h suXx0r back kicks on a padded pillar.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[yt]3bnl0nGlEBw

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonafairiphile
    Go for it.
    OK. I'll get to it in the next few days or so.

The quality will be crap (lo-res digital camera).

Now you post on my Sociocide rapping thread.
    Last edited by DAYoung; 1/15/2008 5:36pm at .
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 10:44pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TheMightyMcClaw, I have many tips for you.

1) Keep your knee down. When your knee comes up you are doing a side kick not a back kick. It gets really easy to block.

2) Pull your arms in. Think about Olympic divers when they want to spin they pull their arms in tight.

3) Cut your hair. That braid is flying out and slowing down your spin...

4) Look OVER your shoulder. You should look over the same shoulder you are kicking with just like you are looking at someone who is following you. Looking around your shoulder will move your body out of alignment

5) Finish your turn. This may be because you were kicking a pole but after you kick finsih your turn and land back in a fighting stance. Reversing your turn after you land the kcik will get you hit and take power away.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 12:07am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HeraldOfTheFrog
    This isn't a bag video...it's me doing a bunch of basic MT drills with my roommate holding pads for me. I edited it together to show my friends and family what the heck I mean when I say I've taken up "Muay Thai."

I've only been at it for a few months, but I wouldn't mind getting some feedback from the Strikeistanians. I've already noted that "Corner Man" drill being discussed would help me lose some of that flinch reflex when I block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLntlhN82Z4

Starting with your kicks...

1. When stepping for the kick you are currently stepping forward. You want to step PAST your opponent at a 45 degree angle. This both sets up your feet to give you adequate room to turn your hips so you can drive through with the kick, and also keeps you from stepping straight into your opponents fist.

2. As mentioned earlier you want to drive through with your kick. If you're stepping out you should be turning your hips well past your target (as in the side of your pelvis should be pointing past your target)so that when you kick, the force of the kick isn't at it's max until well after your leg makes contact. Like Annatrocity mentioned in her post, this should entail the shoulder of the side you're kicking from also turning past your target.

3. The switch kick is more or less the same idea. Instead of hopping foreward as you're doing, you want to plant that switched foot past your opponent off at an angle. Since you're still getting the hang of throwing the switch kick, I recommend stepping forward rather than doing the actual "switch". It's more important right now that you get the idea of foot placement down than making that fancy switch step (which even for an experienced fighter can be tricky to throw without being overly telegraphed).

4. The way you're throwing the double kick is a total cardio kickboxing thing. Don't do it unless your instructor is specifically telling you to for whatever reason. If you're going to throw multiple kicks, bring your leg back for every kick and make it count, or at the very least, throw the first one as a faint and bring your leg back for the second kick.

Punches...

Ok so there's a little too much here for me to really want to get into it all but some basic things...

1. Posture posture posture. When you throw anything you want to make sure to stay in a solid, balanced stance at all times. I try to deviate as little as possible from my basic stance when throwing anything. As you're throwing you have a tendency to dive into your punches. What you want is for your feet to move you around while keeping your posture intact and your torso upright. You don't want your shoulders to move past your hips or you're going to be off balance. This screws up both your power generation and mobility.

2. Don't forget your feet. If your feet aren't moving while your punches are being thrown you are wrong. When you throw the cross, your rear foot should be turning in with your hips. When you throw the jab, you should be pushing off the rear foot and slightly lifting the lead foot and bringing it forward. When you throw the hook your feet should end up turning so that your toes are pointing almost behind you. The turning of your feet should occur naturally if you are properly rotating your hips.

As for your uppercuts... Waaayyy too exaggerated. Uppercuts should be tight and never stray too far from your own chin. Turn your shoulder to cover your chin, then fire the uppercut with a quick turn of the hips. Bending at the knees is good, but you don't want to crouch way down and throw a street fighter style uppercut. That's about the most telegraphed move I've ever seen. No offense :5headache

Knees: You want to be kneeing IN, not UP. Your friend isn't quite holding the pads right so it's contributing to this of course. You want to bring your knee up, then drive it forward so you're hitting with the front of your knee rather than the top.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:31am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well umm I have a video of me practising at home.

But the fact is my feet cant bee seen (only above the hip).And this is only the simplest of problems I also don't have a sandbag in home so I just punch the wall with the gloves.

So I can only strike straight punches and there are no kicks.

But since there are lots of proffessionals around here it must not be hard to find out my mistakes and criticize me.

here u go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hURjIReRKeo
    (I was going to delete the video since I get enough critics.And I think I got.So I deleted the video cuz dont want to share much on youtube.I hope I dont act like a bitch.Thanx for your mercy :D )

By the way it is normal if it sucks because my original style was shotokan (1st dan) (hehe what a nice style isnt it) so I always tried to improve myself on my own after seeing the awful truths.Oh I have 1 month kickboxing experience too lol :D
    Last edited by Necroyunus; 1/16/2008 11:09am at .

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop hitting the wall immediately.

In the first 7 seconds I can see several bad habits it is teaching you. The worst of which is arm punching.

On the bright side you may have discovered why Wing Chun is so bad. Perhaps hitting stationary objects always causes you to arm punch and replace power with speed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Stop hitting the wall immediately.

In the first 7 seconds I can see several bad habits it is teaching you. The worst of which is arm punching.

On the bright side you may have discovered why Wing Chun is so bad. Perhaps hitting stationary objects always causes you to arm punch and replace power with speed.
    Ok I understand the point.Thanx.

But damn I cant afford a bag.Do you know any realistic solutions that I can use??
    Last edited by Necroyunus; 1/16/2008 10:14am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 10:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXacreD
    Without bitching at you about punching walls

First thing you need to do is: CALM DOWN
    -Slow your **** down so you actually know what you're doing and leave yourself time to at least turn your shoulders and hips into each punch.
    -After your first punch (which is OK in my mind, though you're still pulling it back), you are leaned forward and touching the wall with your fists. If you were punching properly from the right distance to the wall, you would have made a lot more noise and possibly some cracks in the wall.
    -Don't lean forward.
    -Stop making excuses for yourself; you could have posted a shadowboxing clip. And you could have used 3 different kicks in this situation if you really wanted to: the teep, sidekick, and back kick.
    -Get a heavy bag or at least tie some pillows to a pole if you want a creative solution.
    -Aim to punch THROUGH your target (this is why we don't punch walls, unless you're really pissed off and/or can get away with punching holes in the walls)
    Ok ok I got the point.Thanx.(By the way the walls back is filled.So can go it as hard as I can.)

Just the uni ends and I get a job , the first thing will be buying a heavy bag.Thanx again

(Yes I have a gym.But since I gave up karate and started judo, there are no bags or such there.I was using the gloves at my past gym)
    Last edited by Necroyunus; 1/16/2008 10:42am at .

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 10:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok I looked it up at Amazon and I guess I see your problem shipping to Istanbul is pretty freaking expensive.

Soooo...
    If you really can't find a heavy bag in a local store there is a way to make one. You need to find a heavy canvas bag. ideally it will be cylinder shaped. Now you need a bunch of rags or laundry that no one will miss and a second bag. fill the second bag with dry sand or seed or ome heavy but relatively fluid material. then wrap it in the rags and or laundry until it fits tightly inside the big bag. now close the big bag and wrap it with Duct tape. Keep it tight in the middle to reduce sagging. Now find some rope and a safe way to hang it from a tree branch or something.
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 1/16/2008 10:57am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 10:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah man thats right :(

And the fact is...life is a little bit tougher in Turkey(personal income I mean) and I still live with my family.I just cant afford it right now.

But maybe later.I better focus on grappling right now.and do a little bit shadow boxing.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast