Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 3:42pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You already made fun of yourself a lot but you also leave you shots out there too long especially your jab. Get that hand back!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 7:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    danno, good hand speed and straight punching but your kicks need more hip. Get off your heel a little more.

Actually it looks like you are only losing hip when you kick in combination. Your solo kicks look pretty solid.
    yeah, after one kick i almost look like i'm going to stumble. i did feel awkward when throwing them, a bit stiff in the hips. it's been 6 months since i trained MMA, over a year since i've done MT - so i'm assuming it's just rust and i pray i didn't look like that before. sure didn't feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Also, steadying the bag is a pet peeve of mine. You should strive to adjust the strength and timing of your shots to stop the bag from swinging with strikes alone. That may be difficult in your situation because you don't have 360 degrees of space around your bag.
    now that i think about it, it's kind of pointless!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2008 7:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This isn't a bag video...it's me doing a bunch of basic MT drills with my roommate holding pads for me. I edited it together to show my friends and family what the heck I mean when I say I've taken up "Muay Thai."

I've only been at it for a few months, but I wouldn't mind getting some feedback from the Strikeistanians. I've already noted that "Corner Man" drill being discussed would help me lose some of that flinch reflex when I block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLntlhN82Z4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2008 10:37pm

Style: karate, Ju-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Herald of the frog,

Your technique for someone who's only been at it for a few months looks pretty good.

As was mentioned previously, you take a step before every strike you make, it really telegraphs your intentions.

Also, you looking really robotic when doing you're drills. I don't mean robotic as in stiff, i mean as in your rythym. You strike, back up and strike again at a consistent rate. When i work focus mitts, i have my training partner flash them at inconsistent intervals, and we move around a lot. It better simulates fighting in my opinion.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 7:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you both for the feedback. Those are good bad habits to get rid of.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 3:26am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno
    so i've noticed that no one here is hardcore enough to post a video.

just the other day i asked my girlfriend to record me cos i haven't trained for a while and i was worried that i might be a bit rusty. and i was, especially with kicks to the point of feeling awkward. after hitting the bag again a little later i was feeling somewhat better. but i won't say any more, over to you AnnaT.
    I think it would serve you well to pick your jab up some, you're punching at shoulder level also when you jab you should step with your left foot forward about 2 inches and drop into it for power. As is you're kind of arm punching with it. Also you dont turn your forward foot when you throw the left hook so that's mostly an armpunch as well as it limits the amount of hip and shoulder rotation.

Speaking of hip rotation you'd probably do well to try and make your hip/shoulder rotation more smoothly connected to your cross. Right now they look a little out of sync and you're not turning your rear foot very much on a lot of your rights.

I find that the easiest way to fix this is to pretend like your shoulder and hip are connected and you have to move your hip to put your shoulder into your strikes. this will also force you to turn your right foot (which you should be pushing off of when you strike).

Work on timing your punch so that it connects just as your hip/shoulder reach the apex of their rotation as a unit. Also the retraction of your punch will be sped up by making sure to snap your hips back into place. That way your arm isnt doing all the work of retracting itself.

White shark already covered the kicking thing. Turn your hip past the target and it will help.

PS: Get a new bag.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 3:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll get to the rest of you mugs later.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 7:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ta. overall, i'd describe the recording of that video as just "awkward".

that bag wasn't the best. it's owned by my girlfriends younger brother who is 12. he's a bit shorter than me, so the bag isn't at a good height. i was punching lower than i would have liked to, the very top of it was like hitting a pillow.

ta again, i'm a bit rusty and need this kind of advice. like, i know i'm supposed to turn my left foot with the hook, but even when i looked at the video before it didn't register.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kat, do you mind if I just post me kicking?

I'd like some feedback on the mechanics of the kick (and I'm not up to bagwork anyway).
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 5:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go for it.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast