Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 5:47am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You will post your bag videos here

And I will tell you what you're fucking up. Lose the ego and do it. If you listen to me I bet you'll see improvement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 12:38am

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would videos of shadowboxing be allowed too?

I currently don't have access to any sort of training bag, but I would like some pointers from other people if possible.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 2:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go for it but keep in mind that I am a boxer/kickboxer and will critique accordingly.

If someone from some other style posts a video of them self doing something I feel isn't very good based on my background I will say so and I don't want to hear any back talk about how "monkey with an std" is a legitimate technique even if it does involve standing on one leg while holding your crotch with both hands

Oh Yeh, and I want to see total circular movement, don't feel like youneed to stand and move 90% to the camera the whole time. while I obviously need to see what you're doing most of the time I feel that the mistake a lot of people make is that they dont circle around the bag, they simply attack it from about the same angle every time.

Same thing goes for shadowboxing.

Shadowboxing will be a bit harder to critique though. Mostly it's a matter of how smooth and in control does this person look because doing something in shadowboxing is a little different then doing it with intent to hit.
    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 1/10/2008 2:59am at .

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 4:37am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I had a video camera. I've been tentatively kicking my makiwara (shut up), and I'd be happy to accept any criticism you'd proffer.

I was watching this short video on Thai kicks, and I admit that I don't quite understand how they work. The movement of the hips and arms makes perfect sense, but it looks to me like the kicking leg is stopping short. Perhaps it's 'kicking through', but it looks like it needs more extension.

Anyway, suffice it to say that I'd be happy to accept all the helpful scorn you could generate. If I can get a vid done, I'll post it for your amusement.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    I wish I had a video camera. I've been tentatively kicking my makiwara (shut up), and I'd be happy to accept any criticism you'd proffer.

I was watching this short video on Thai kicks, and I admit that I don't quite understand how they work. The movement of the hips and arms makes perfect sense, but it looks to me like the kicking leg is stopping short. Perhaps it's 'kicking through', but it looks like it needs more extension.

Anyway, suffice it to say that I'd be happy to accept all the helpful scorn you could generate. If I can get a vid done, I'll post it for your amusement.

Are you referring to the straightening of the leg? If you throw the kick in the air that straightening doesn't happen until well after the target. All of the follow through is done through the hips, not the leg itself, and when kicking the bag you end up rebounding off the bag before your leg ends up straightening out.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    Are you referring to the straightening of the leg? If you throw the kick in the air that straightening doesn't happen until well after the target. All of the follow through is done through the hips, not the leg itself, and when kicking the bag you end up rebounding off the bag before your leg ends up straightening out.
    Yes, that's what I meant.

Thanks.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 6:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so i've noticed that no one here is hardcore enough to post a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNWTAWCSPuA

just the other day i asked my girlfriend to record me cos i haven't trained for a while and i was worried that i might be a bit rusty. and i was, especially with kicks to the point of feeling awkward. after hitting the bag again a little later i was feeling somewhat better. but i won't say any more, over to you AnnaT.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 3:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll critique when I get back, I'm going out of town for a couple days.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 11:35am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OT posts deleted. Post video or critique only. Whining about your camera will be deleted.

To follow my own rule:
    danno, good hand speed and straight punching but your kicks need more hip. Get off your heel a little more.

Actually it looks like you are only losing hip when you kick in combination. Your solo kicks look pretty solid.

Also, steadying the bag is a pet peeve of mine. You should strive to adjust the strength and timing of your shots to stop the bag from swinging with strikes alone. That may be difficult in your situation because you don't have 360 degrees of space around your bag.
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 1/11/2008 11:40am at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 1:22pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll take advantage of the opportunity.

-I drop my hands when punching
    -A lot of times, I let my jab drop instead of pulling it straight back.
    -I need to turn into back arm strikes more.
    -Lots of goofy panantukan type stuff.
    -No kicking (I really dislike kicking that bag) and no circling (staying off the grass).
Page 1 of 15 1 234511 ... LastLast