Posted On:
    1/09/2008 5:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Traditional Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Professor Trevor Roberts

Hi,

Does any one know anything about this guy? He is part of http://www.academyofcombat.com/ with what seems like an extensive background in lots of different styles -from boxing to Sambo to grappling. I have trained with him once and he was excellent - he kicked the **** out of my instructor who in no way would have been compliant as he likes to know things are going to work. The reason im sceptical is this 'professor' title - where and how did he achieve this? The seminar i did with him although was good seemed to be limited to what looked like streetfighting and judo - in his defence time constraints probably didnt help him.

Any comments appreciated

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 8:49am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crainium_trauma
    Hi,

Does any one know anything about this guy? He is part of http://www.academyofcombat.com/ with what seems like an extensive background in lots of different styles -from boxing to Sambo to grappling. I have trained with him once and he was excellent - he kicked the **** out of my instructor who in no way would have been compliant as he likes to know things are going to work. The reason im sceptical is this 'professor' title - where and how did he achieve this? The seminar i did with him although was good seemed to be limited to what looked like streetfighting and judo - in his defence time constraints probably didnt help him.

Any comments appreciated
    "Professor," as a title, is usually just an honorific implying instructorship. In the Martial Arts, a number of Western teachers will use the title in place of Eastern terms like Sensei or Sifu. It's not really all that suspicious.

--Joe

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 9:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agree with Kung-Fu Joe. FWIW, a number of the top Trad JJ practitioners in the UK are termed Professor owing to their (usually) 40+ years of training and exploring and developing the Art into what it has become today.

Trevor Roberts has been name-checked in Martial Arts Illustrated by other senior instructors so I would see that as an endorsement of his knowledge and skills (even allowing to Time to slow your physical abilities, the knowledge is still there) and Cranium vouches his own instructor as stating Roberts as "excellent".

I'm not going to bite....I'm just offering an opinion. I sometimes think people want to start the "hare of rumour" just to see how far it can run.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 9:29am

Style: Full Contact Ju Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crainium...his email is on the website, maybe you could email him and ask him.

If you missed it this is his email trevor@academyofcombat.com

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 11:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cheers for the replys,

Wasnt really trying to catch him out or bad mouth him just making sure I wasnt being conned as it has in the past when I have gone to classes thinking the instructors were good and they turned out to be full of ****(example - wing chun instructor told me about his tremendous lineage back to yip man and blah blah blah plus they didnt do any ground work because 'fights never go to the ground.' So obviously after one visit to a jujitsu class i got raped!).

now from your positive reply, ill look forward to his next seminar in March!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 11:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crainium,

Out of interest who do you train with and/or what style/system do you do, I couldnt find much info on your profile.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 5:40am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train with an off shoot of the miyabi ju jitsu academy (traditional japanese ju jitsu not brazilian). My sensi is a 5th Dan recognised by NAKMAS in the UK. Probably should explain as well that on acheiving a few of his dan grade he had to write a syllabus which he then had to demonstrate and explain to a panel of martial artists 2 grades high than himself.

Unlike most martial arts classes I ve been to change is not something that is looked upon with disgust! For instance part of my next grading was to perform attacks from your back on the ground. I couldnt perform the move they wanted slickly enough to be comfortable with it so i asked if i could just put a triangle choke on i was greeted with 'no problem'.

To give a balanced view in the lower gradings everything is compliant partner technique which probably doesnt help advance peoples techniques but does build confidence so I can see the advantage .However as you reach the higher gradings(Green and above) the compliance just disappears and you pretty much get smacked in the face if you dont perform it correctly.

From some of the threads on the site I feel I should mention that 'aliveness' is part of the class/gradings - from random attacks to multiple attackers all at full speed. I shold also mention that black belts can only be graded after at least three years training and if you have spent 20 hours(i think) teaching the class. The black belts have to expand their knowledge by attending course/seminars (2 a year per year of training) so they are not just ju jistu centred. These course are usually weapons/grappling based.

Im currently a blue belt and will be hopefully grading for my purple in April.

I also have a little bit experience (but not loads) in:

- Wing Chun(could be amazing if the instructors werent up their own backside)
    -Aikido (Again had positives right up until the point where the instructor would say 'Grab my wrist' or the classic 'If there is no grab, there is no aikido.'
    - Kali
    - JKD
    - Savate (this was only couple of lessons though but quite enjoyed it)

Currently looking for a Muay Thai class to improve my standup and a TKD class so I can do a little bit competing (I am a firefighter and the fire bridgades all over the UK hold yearly competitions in TKD and Judo).

If there are any more questions about my ju jitsu class or anything else Ill answer as best I can!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 8:52am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understood the term 'Professor' to mean that the individual had been given official permission (from whatever organization or individual is in authority for the art) to start their own school, as opposed to just being a black belt who went off and started teaching. There are tons of BJJ instructors teaching in our area but only one uses the title Professor.

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 9:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting read Cranium so thanks for sharing. The mention of Green-Blue-Purple suggests its comparable to BJJA GB syllabi, check any Jikishin club www.jikishin.com for comparator.

FWIW, in terms of BJJA GB (your NAKMAS affiliation will differ yet it's likely comparable) any group joining has to submit a full syllabus for scrutiny before being Accepted into the BJJA GB. Techniques will be examined from point of view of effectiveness (Do they work?); its implicit Principle (the idea behing the technique) and lnsurance (yes, really, hence the change from 'live' knives to wooden to rubber tantos).

Committing to the Attack is essential to execute the Technique (so borrowing the energy) but a reluctance to do so is not good. You can fool yourself and I have looked questioningly at a husband and wife pair on Blue Belt grading and had to seek the 4th Dan to check. Personally I would have failed them - still I never saw them at Purple so perhaps they reached their ceiling. For me, all gradings (and Training) were full bore and I got the bruises to prove it.

1st Dan is a big achievement (if only psychologically) but only represents knowledge of the basics. At 2nd-5th Dan, the student takes more responsiblity to develop their own knowledge (and discover their personal style) hence he/she will have to develop their own modules to demonstrate their understanding/competence. These are marked and are part of the grading. (After all in Life, when starting as Baby, you eventually leave home and find your own space).

The other feature of progression is recognising how little you know. This can be a stimulus to developing your percieved weaknesses hence many JJ types explore Ground-fighting, Sparring, Judo, other Weapons systems. It also stops you from getting complacent.

JJ is perfectly suitable for Self Defence and provided it has a structured syllabus with the usual safeguards as Insurance, Qualified Instructors, Governing Body accountability, CRB checks, you got a good chance of making progrees. Learning to Fight is, of course, different.

Good Luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 10:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info Crainium, good of you to indulge my curiosity.