Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 5:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kobayashi shorin ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

karate club at my school?

So i started karate a couple of weeks ago and met a freind from school there, were discussing a karate club after the wrestlers get done so we have a room to practice in.
    It would just be a couple times a week where wed stretch, meditate, work on the class of the weeks lesson and spare.
    It seems like a good idea but i wanted to ask if you guys thought it'd be a bad idea to let other kids in who are really interested in karate but dont take lesson. Is it a bad idea to start teaching other people this early? Does anyone else have a karate club at school or anything?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 5:50pm

Style: BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long has the other kid been learning karate?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 9:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kobayashi shorin ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he started a week earlier than me but the sensai brought us back to eachothers level just so itd be easier for us, so weve both been in shorin ryu for about a month

i think it would be a good idea to go over kata with eachother and practice our basiscs, but there is the possibility to develop bad teqhnique if we practice by our selves which might be worse than just waiting the next 5 days

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 11:17pm

Style: BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't do it not unless you had at the very least a first dan in the club with you. You need a qualified instructor to correct your errors so that they don't turn into bad habits. Right now you have very little experience with it. Youíre not going to learn it in a few months. Just review what you learned at home after class. What you should do is arrive at class early and review your forms with a black belt or upper rank. Most black belts love to help beginners in the class.

Itís a terrible idea to let kids who don't know karate join your club unless you have an instructor there to help teach. You will just pass on your bad habits.

There is a very big possibility that your school won't even let you start a club up. When I was in high school I tried to start up my own club with a few other black belts. The school wouldn't let us start it up because it was a liability issue. They said that it would have to be considered a sport to be covered by insurance and that we would have to compete against other school. Unfortunately, there were no other schools in the area with karate at them. They would not allow us to just sign a waiver saying that if we were injured the school was not at fault.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/08/2008 1:58am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mantis42
    So i started karate a couple of weeks ago and met a freind from school there, were discussing a karate club after the wrestlers get done so we have a room to practice in.
    It would just be a couple times a week where wed stretch, meditate, work on the class of the weeks lesson and spare.
    It seems like a good idea but i wanted to ask if you guys thought it'd be a bad idea to let other kids in who are really interested in karate but dont take lesson. Is it a bad idea to start teaching other people this early? Does anyone else have a karate club at school or anything?

No. its a terrible idea. You don't even have the basics down yourself after a few weeks.

Ask one of the upper ranks in your club to supervise.