Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 5:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA and TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Basic mount question.

In class we were practicing groundwork. One time when I mounted somebody they were able to turn to the side so my submission was inneffective. what creates a really strong mount?

sorry but I'm new at this.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 5:15pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So he gave you his back?, thats just as good really. Get those hooks in and get a RNC or collar choke going. Or dont even bother going for the back, if his just on his side then his got one arm pinned and 1 arm loose, go for the armbar.

Unless you have a burning hatred for your sparring partner and you want to ground and pound.

Relavent tips = good posture and a stable base with your legs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 5:41pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically when you've mounted someone and they turn to their side (but aren't quite giving you their back), you want to bring your knee to the back of their head and you want your other foot flat (the heel of this foot will be up against his chest)

We call that position side mount in my gym (opposed to what most people call side mount -- we call cross side). anyways from side mount you have really powerful options in a kimura and an armbar, as well as some good collar chokes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 5:44pm

Style: Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Strong Mount consists of the following, Knees closer to your opponents armpits then his or her Hips , A Solid Squeeze with the Legs on the Torso, and most important Control Your Opponents Head by bringing it off the Mat. If your Opponent chooses to turn onto his or her Side take the Straight Arm Bar (Ude Hishigi Juji Gatame) or if they turn on there belly Take the Rear Naked Choke (Hadaka Jime).

Train Hard, Stay Safe,
    Good Luck

Combat Judo Academy

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanosuke92
    In class we were practicing groundwork. One time when I mounted somebody they were able to turn to the side so my submission was inneffective. what creates a really strong mount?

sorry but I'm new at this.
    If turning to the side defuses the sub you were working on, try something else.

More generally, the biggest problem I've seen people have with mount is that they treat it as a static position. It is not. When you're in mount you need to be actively working and addressing your opponents movements.

If your opponent is turning and you don't want them to, cross face them and grapevine their legs. Or, switch to an s-mount. If they're working an upa escape, move up into their armpits. Etc.

Even on top, you ought to be moving. If you stay still, you'll get beat.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 5:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdrnsamurai
    A Strong Mount consists of the following, Knees closer to your opponents armpits then his or her Hips , A Solid Squeeze with the Legs on the Torso,
    The point here is that you generally don't want your weight directly over your opponent's hips. That is where they will have the most strength to move you. However, this is not an absolute. Sometimes it is good to slide back, matching their hips, and grapevine their legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdrnsamurai
    and most important Control Your Opponents Head by bringing it off the Maty

Despite the odd capitalization, this is a very good point. I steer people with their heads a lot.

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 6:24pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    More generally, the biggest problem I've seen people have with mount is that they treat it as a static position. It is not. When you're in mount you need to be actively working and addressing your opponents movements.
    Amen to that. Don't just camp out in mount. It's not as stable a hold down position as some others. Attack, adjust, attack, adjust from mount. If he's up on his side, that arm bar should be gift wrapped for you.

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 6:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA and TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all your tips everyone.