Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 7:47pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buy yourself a good jumprope. It's an easy winter workout that you can do while watching TV in most rooms. Add in some burpees, and you've got no excuse not to get a good workout all withing the comforts of your house for free.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 10:15pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the help and advice everyone. I'll add in the mountain climbers/burpees and try to do some resistance training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 1:28am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do this sort of thing every day at wrestling practice.

Reading the beginning of this thread, I actually thought to myself, "What about mountain climbers and burpees?" Other good ideas are: fast lunges, lying flat on your back and holding your feet 6 inches off the ground (later referred to as "six inches," bicycle crunches, jump rope, holding puhsups four inches off the ground (later referred to as "four inches"), randoman (crouching, jumping high up and bringing your knees to your chest, then repeat) and oh so many more. I can't even name all that I know of, imagine how many I don't know of!

Take this from someone who does tons of this kind of cardio every day, in addition to a heavy workout:

Vary up your routine!

Even just a little bit, it helps. Macho said this, too. Here, let me give you an example:

6 30 second periods, repeated 3-5 times w/ two min rests in between, of:
    Day one: Jumping jacks, burpees, squat thrust, fast lunges, mountain climbers, squat thrust
    Day two: Hindu squats, bicycle crunches, six inches, jump rope, push ups, leg lifts
    Day three: Burpees, fast lunges, push ups, bicycle crunches, four inches, six inches

It's really completely senseless and random. Just do something different every day. Get a repertoire of 15 or so in-place cardio exercises. Here's an idea: Focus on a different body part every day. Or, if you prefer the more random route, you can put them all in a hat and draw six before doing your workout. Even better, don't necessarily have 6 30 second periods every day. One day, try 3 one minute periods, then the next day try doing three straight minutes of one thing, then the second, then the third and so on. The possibilities are endless, and it keeps it interesting. Try new stuff, see how it works. Keep varying your routine! Really, you don't even need a format, just keep to 18-30 minutes of good stationary cardio. Hell, here's an idea (I've done this once, it was a lot of fun), and excuse me if I'm giving too many "ideas," I'm just excited: find a local park that has little exercise stations and use those. I did it around Jamaica Pond, I jogged a while, station, jog, station, jog, station, and soon I finished the lap around (only one lap, it was a big pond).

Another thing: shorten your breaks a little. If you break for two minutes, you'll get cold, and be completely unprepared for the next one. You'll actually find that it becomes easier when you shorten your breaks. I typically do four one-minute periods, with 5-10 seconds between each period, and about a fourty-five second break in between set of four periods. We do this 3-5 times at the beginning of practice and/or twice at the end, with this exact kind of stationary cardio. And that's during a very heavy workout.

More advice: If you absolutely abhorre a certain workout, and either you work less hard as a result or it's just not that intense cardio in the first place (my "four inches" thing is a good example: great for arm strength, not so much for cardio, and it sucks balls) then cut it out! You have the ability to do that, and you should! There's no sense in doing something if it's actually making you lazy! And if something is too easy, like jumping jacks or frankensteins, then cut it out! It doesn't help you if you're not sweating and your heart isn't pumping.

Something to think about: Try wearing heavier clothing, especially if you're taking long breaks. I find that when I work out in a hoody and sweatpants, I don't get cold during breaks (for obvious reasons) and it allows me to work harder. That's more of a tip and trick, not an important aspect. If you start getting into your workouts, and you realize that you're getting cold during breaks but you don't want to shorten them, try wearing something slightly heavier than shorts and a shirt. This sounds much more attractive to a wrestler than somebody just trying to lead a healthy lifestyle (See thread titled: "Holy Hell, I need to cut waterweight"), but it's something you should always keep as an option.

More advice: Don't drink too much water during breaks. It makes you lazy. By not having a coach who can yell at you, you have certain advantages and disadvantages. A disadvantage is that if you get lazy, you stay lazy until you realize it. Drinking too much water during breaks or shortly before working out will make you lazy. Drink as much as you want after cardio, but wait 'till then.

Important points (tl;dr): Vary up your routine (read that section, it's important), shorten your breaks, don't do stuff you hate or that isn't helping you, and don't take too much water during breaks. If you read or skim the whole thing, you'll also find some other nice tips.

By the way, I think in the off-season, I'm gonna try doing exactly what I recommended to keep up good cardio.

Hope you take my advice, and hope you enjoy it! And good luck on cutting that weight and living healthier.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 1:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to add to my "focus on a different body part every day" idea:

What I was thinking was that on a day where you don't have training, you can use that day to work cardio and strength. Let's say I don't have practice on Mondays. So on Mondays, I have a routine that looks more like one of these:

Quads: 30 seconds of: Squat thrusts, lower-case-b, free squats, fast lunges, level-changes

Core: 60 seconds of: Bicycle crunches, randomans, six inches,

(Workouts are repeated 3-5 times)

Trust me, this will get that muscle group tired. I'd say you could do groups that are more broad, like legs and upper body (though those are too broad...).

That's just to add a little bit of clarity. This is a good thing to do one a week or every other week. Don't do it on days when you have practice; you won't be able to get much practicing done if the muscle group is as tired as it should be. It's a good way to incorporate strength training into cardio.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 1:49am

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks again for all your advice.

I got to do the warm up today do I made everyone do this routine:
    30 sec Squat thrust - 30 sec rest
    30 sec jumping jacks - 30 sec rest
    30 sec push ups - 30 sec rest
    30 sec crunches- 30 sec rest
    30 sec mountain climbers - 30 sec rest
    30 sec burpee - 30 sec rest
    30 sec hindu squat - 2 min rest

Repeat twice

I also had the heat in there cranked way up to about 90, this wasn't so much as intended but an after affect of us being in the same area as the yoga class. I'd have tried to get more cycles in but we had some very very new people tonight and even what we did was too hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 2:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustardo
    Thanks again for all your advice.

I got to do the warm up today do I made everyone do this routine:
    30 sec Squat thrust - 30 sec rest
    30 sec jumping jacks - 30 sec rest
    30 sec push ups - 30 sec rest
    30 sec crunches- 30 sec rest
    30 sec mountain climbers - 30 sec rest
    30 sec burpee - 30 sec rest
    30 sec hindu squat - 2 min rest

Repeat twice
    You're welcome. I actually had a lot of fun writing all that. I just hope someone reads it...

That actually sounds like a pretty nice workout. Talk to your instructor, maybe you can conduct more workouts in the future to help with your personal cardio?

Flyweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's what we did on Monday for more ideas

* 10 minute run (varying as we go - forward, backward, sideways, knees up, heels up, in/out, etc)
    * 10 burpees, 20 mountain climbers, 20 crunches or triangles - repeated 3 times with no rest
    * shrimps across the gym twice
    * shoot lunges across the gym twice (one for each side)
    * forward bear walk across the gym
    * backward bear walk across the gym
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123