Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 4:23pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Money
    Is riding a bike to your classes an option? Also, when you were running before, was that before you took up yoga and/or bjj?

The loss of weight + the increase in core strength you had from the two might make worth giving it another (tentative) shot.
    No I can't ride a bike there because it's 10 a pretty direct 10 mile highway route. By bike it'd be much much longer, and it's snowy/icy. Yeah I tried running after doing bjj for 6 months and yoga for 2 and hurt myself. That day it hurt slightly and it got to the point where I was out of training for 2 weeks. My instructor suggested that it probably wasn't the best idea and to stick to lower impact cardio.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 4:35pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Swimming sounds like it would be perfect. Whole body and very little impact on the joints. Good for strengthening your back as well.

Weak

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 4:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A guy who doesn't lift weights? Take Emevas' advice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 4:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadonblade
    Swimming sounds like it would be perfect. Whole body and very little impact on the joints. Good for strengthening your back as well.
    You know, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Maybe I'll rejoin my college gym since it's only 285/year for alumni. I'm a pretty damn good swimmer too, even though I never swim anymore.

THANKS FOR 8 AM SWIMMING LESSONS EVERY SATURDAY MORNING DURING MY ENTIRE CHILDHOOD MOM! (i.e. get the hell out of the house). Oh well at least I won't drown.

I'm interested in hearing more about the weight routine(s) people would suggest.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 4:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustardo
    You know, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Maybe I'll rejoin my college gym since it's only 285/year for alumni. I'm a pretty damn good swimmer too, even though I never swim anymore.

THANKS FOR 8 AM SWIMMING LESSONS EVERY SATURDAY MORNING DURING MY ENTIRE CHILDHOOD MOM! (i.e. get the hell out of the house). Oh well at least I won't drown.

I'm interested in hearing more about the weight routine(s) people would suggest.
    Swimmings great, doesnt really get talked alot about though for training purposes. I dont know why :angry4:

I like to swim a length as fast as I can, then take a leisurely backstroke back and then repeat untill I feel getting out of the pool is gonna be a problem. Or theres just doggy paddle which can cane. Or even just treading water for 10 minutes.

Ooh and you should add/replace with burpies to your cycle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 4:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadonblade
    Swimmings great, doesnt really get talked alot about though for training purposes. I dont know why :angry4:

I like to swim a length as fast as I can, then take a leisurely backstroke back and then repeat untill I feel getting out of the pool is gonna be a problem. Or theres just doggy paddle which can cane. Or even just treading water for 10 minutes.

Ooh and you should add/replace with burpies to your cycle.
    I can still swim really well, I just for some reason never think of it because I don't enjoy it all that much. I used to compete on the swim team when I was younger and I've taken "life-guard" classes etc

What exactly are burpies? Aren't they a squat thrust where you just jump up at the end or am I mistaken?

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 5:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Burpies seem to the best thing you can do with your bodyweight (or so some lead me to believe). Squat down, kick legs out so you are in the push up position, kick legs back in so you are in a crouching position with hands on floor, jump as high as you can and repeat. Some like to add a push up in there. You wouldnt think they would be so good but they really do seem very good. Lots of extra info can be found on the net.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 5:09pm

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get the ROM machine

www.fastexercize.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 6:02pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, refocus on your diet. I'm willing to bet there are some changes you can make there that are fairly minor in nature.

Most weight loss plateau's that are seen in consistent dieters are the result of the body making an adjustment to its metabolism. New stimulus will change it.

Most weight loss plateau's in inconsistent dieters are a result of incosistent dieters. If you don't know everything you will eat the day before you do it, and don't know everything you ate two days ago via a written log chances are in the mid 90% range that you are an inconsistent dieter.

My guess is you made a lot of changes to your dieter by cleaning up its quality and adding activity. Now that you have plateaued, its time to start planning and documenting everything you are eating and compare it to how many calories you burn.

www.caloriesperhour.com will help you do both. Also, there is a good template in Access 2007 for nutrition.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 6:24pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****, I wrote a long post and this piece of **** IE blew up on me.

Anyways, Bustardo, I'm with Emevas in that you should try to do some weight-lifting. Resistance training may be the key for you since 1) you seem to be paying attention to your meals, and 2) you are already beating the **** out of your body with cardio.

If you have space, get a barbell and 100 to 200lbs in plates. If that's not an option, get some adjustable dumbbells and enough plates to change it's load from 100 to 10lbs. You don't need a pair for each weight - you can work out unilaterally on almost everything (deadlifts, gobblet squats, presses, etc.)

And even if having weights is not practical, you can get a set of iron woody bands and/or two sets of flat bands from Sports Authority. I have a bunch of those at home and at work - they are pretty handy:

I think you are on the right track in that you are trying to implement intervals in your workout. But I feel you need to add resistance training to it to get the desired effects. One starting point could be the following "emergency" workout.

http://www.bunklers.com/Emergency_Workout.html

Emergency Workout

When I'm in a time crunch and I can't make it to the gym or if I'm travelling.... I grab my dumbbells ( the ones I have at at the bottom of this page, they are adjustable and I love them) and pull out this home workout I found in a magazine...

Sometimes I may change up some of the exercises, do it differently, and make it up as I go, but I use the basic structure and I think it's a great workout.

( I found this in a magazine called "Weight Training for Women, Aug. 2004)

40-minute cardio combo program
    Perform this cardio combos in order. Start with a 5 minutre warm-up.

Combo #1
    3 minutes run in place high knees
    1 minute lateral raise
    1 minute alternating lunge
    1 minute incline push up

Combo #2
    3 minutes jumping jacks
    1 minute overhead triceps extension
    1 minute step ups
    1 minute incline push up

Combo #3
    3 minutes jump rope ( if you don't have a jump rope just pretend)
    1 minute bent over dumbbell row
    1 minute squat
    1 minute overhead shoulder press

Combo #4
    3 minutes side to side hop
    1 minute front raise
    1 minute bench dip
    1 minute calf raise

6 minutes abdominal crunch

5 minute cool down and stretch

For your warm up and cool down, do whatever type of cardio you can, walk.. run... treadmill, stationary bike, go up and down some stairs.. it doesn't matter, just get moving.

Don't knock it off because it came from a women's weight training magazine. Some of them are much better than the **** we get in so-called "men's health" and bodybuilding magazines.

The only changed I'd made to it at the start of each combo. I follow each 3-minute "cardio" section with one set of mountain climbers (as fast as possible) to failure, followed by 1-minute rest (strict) and then followed by the rest of the combo.

BTW, the clip below gives very simple examples of burpees and mountain climbers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V1abr2epSw

As the author suggests, you can change the exercises and still use the same structure. I would follow that up if heavy weight lifting is not an option for you at this time.

Oh, and btw, your avatar creeps me up man.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast