C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 1:29pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Teach MA to aggressive, stupid pr*cks?

I just can't help it, it's a pretty old topic but...

Watching the "Football hooligans international" show on Discovery channel (http://www.discoverytv.com/emea/foot...ernational.htm), Moscow episode, where this one hooligan was shown training boxing (claims to be an amateur fighter with "strong punches" although it didn't look like that), another girl hooligan claiming past kickboxing experience and talking openly about using it to beat people up in the streets/stadiums - made me think about the good old:

why does anybody teach an aggressive, stupid prick any MA at all?

Yeah, you're right, you can't instill good manners, empathy or just simple sense into somebody who didn't pick it up at home.

But still, every MA teacher/trainer/coach has the possibility to NOT teach a person that is open about the motivation and (mis)use of what he/she's taught: to start fights with anybody for whatever reason.

This guy I saw (and many others) had no problem going on camera with it. That means he must have been talking about it in the gym, it must have been visible.
    The person that teaches such assholes is responsible for whatever actions they take to a great extent.

Or?

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 1:41pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally wouldn't want to teach aggressive people. I probably wouldn't know they are aggressive until something happens. I think installing some discipline into them may help them some, but their instructor could also quite aggressive. For example look at the Karate Kid. John Krease played an aggressive instructor who in turn had aggressive students because he drilled that mind set into them.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 1:43pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's akin to saying that sporting goods stores shouldn't sell firearms to mean people. WTF dude. It's a business, you train the people who pay you. If they are dicks in class they generally get smashed until they aren't dicks any more and the problem solves itself.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 1:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chances are the people in the documentary did just enough MA training to feel tough but not actually develop any real skill.

Or else they would be venting there aggression through MA competition (which is why I like to do MA)

They probably didn't have the real fortitude to stick with any real hard training and it's why they act like they do in mobs

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 1:47pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They CAN do something though.

Unlike i sports good store, martial arts teachers can do all sorts of things.

My sensei signs people up for two month contracts in the beginning so he can see what kind of person he is teaching. Obviously, not entirely fail safe, but still better then nothing. Atleast it's an attempt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 1:49pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they train to compete, the aggressives usually do well, no? You've got to be somewhat aggressive to fight at all. Now being a prick on the other hand.... You usually have to hide and watch to see that behaviour. A lot of assholes don't act up in front of teachers/authorities, the smarter ones anyway.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 1:53pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The really fucked up scary psycho paedophiles are the worst. They look like you and me, you don't realize you're teaching them the d34dly until they've butchered your granny.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 2:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what you're saying is that we shouldn't teach martial arts (ie: the art of hurting/maiming/injuring/kiling people) to people who intend to use them?

We could just teach them Wing Tsun, so that they can't possibly hurt anyone =P
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 2:14pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    So what you're saying is that we shouldn't teach martial arts (ie: the art of hurting/maiming/injuring/kiling people) to people who intend to use them?

We could just teach them Wing Tsun, so that they can't possibly hurt anyone =P
    They could hurt them selves.

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 2:30pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about teaching them Aikido? Then they could run around in large groups yelling stuff like: “Grab my wrist you stupid twinkie! Yeah, I didn’t think so!”, doing compliant drills on each other and acting Steven Segalish.

BTW, what is a large group of Aikidoka called? There was a thread on that about a year ago but I don’t remember.
Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast