Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 6:21am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anti-depressants and unwanted weight-gain

So....I'm a woman, firstly to counteract any confusion.

I've recently (a month ago) been started on some anti-depressants called Cipralex (shelf name) aka Escitalopram.

in the past month i've ballooned both due to the medication and the christmas period eating and training break.

i really want to know, what is the factor in anti-depressants that makes me put on weight and is there some kind of suppliment that i can take that will reduce my appetite or weight gain?

alternatively, should i quit the meds and do more endorphin boosting exercise?

or can someone recommend a fat converting suppliment that will help me shed it or convert it to muscle?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 7:27am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PM incoming. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 7:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thankyou :) see reply

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 8:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrael

I've recently (a month ago) been started on some anti-depressants called Cipralex (shelf name) aka Escitalopram.

in the past month i've ballooned both due to the medication and the christmas period eating and training break.

i really want to know, what is the factor in anti-depressants that makes me put on weight and is there some kind of suppliment that i can take that will reduce my appetite or weight gain?

or can someone recommend a fat converting suppliment that will help me shed it or convert it to muscle?

I though anti-depressants made your metabolism slow down. I know some meds do that for me, mainly allergy medicine and antibotic medicine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 9:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah that makes sense :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 9:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah that makes sense :)
    That's just me personally, I know meds do different things for different people. My mother for example is not able to take Sudafed becuase it keeps her at night. Allergy meds make me like a zombie with the exception that I do not moan and eat people's flesh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 9:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    co-dydramol does that to me in a pleasant way.
    i drool and my head kinda props on my shoulder. i possibly moan too.

i also drop short of eating flesh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 9:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    co-dydramol does that to me in a pleasant way.
    i drool and my head kinda props on my shoulder. i possibly moan too.

i also drop short of eating flesh.
    I more of less get very tired and my though process comes very close to just shutting down. Right now I feel like falling asleep and thought processs is fairly limited.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 10:22am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello, the mechanism of weight gain is pretty simple and predictable:

1) They may increase or decrease basal metabolic rate without changing caloric intake.
    2) They may affect hormonal changes and increase appetite.

http://www.netnutritionist.com/fa12.htm

Note that the effects of item 2 may for a long period of time after discontinuing the drug.

As far as quitting cold turkey, that's a risky proposition, and you really need to consider why you went on these drugs in the first place. They are not candy and should never be taken lightly, despite the fact that many doctors and patients do take them way too lightly.

As far as converting fat to muscle, fat is fat, muscle is muscle. One does not convert to the other.

If you want to get off these drugs, you should work with your doctor and tell him/her that. Work to reduce stress, get more sleep, and exercise.

On a happier note (regarding exercise):

"
    "The important conclusion is that the effectiveness of exercise seems to persist over time, and that patients who respond well to exercise and maintain their exercise have a much smaller risk of relapsing.

We found that there was an inverse relationship between exercise and the risk of relapsing the more one exercised, the less likely one would see their depressive symptoms return. For each 50-minute increment of exercise, there was an accompanying 50 percent reduction in relapse risk. Findings from these studies indicate that a modest exercise program is an effective and robust treatment for patients with major depression. And if these motivated patients continue with the exercise, they have a much better chance of not seeing their depression return."
    Good luck.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 1:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to take cipralex until one day I decided to goto muay thai. I think all I needed was exercise and less booze all along.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast