Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 11:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the context of both my and jnp's comments:

A buddy of mine, getting his brown this weekend, frequently says something to the effect of: "if you're flat on your back, you're losing".

Whether you're working guard, halfguard, defending from under side, kos, whatever; this advice is important.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 11:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    While anyone can on occasion get caught, if you're continually getting choked out by people in your guard you need to (a) stop lying on your back with your legs locked and do something and (b) learn to defend chokes.
    Nah. Typically they just pass my guard, mount me and then proceed choke me out.

Really, I was just surprised by how weak my defense was against this type of attack. it's something I don't see that often in our beginners class as most of us go as we are told (first position, then submission). As I couldn't figure out anything definitive from the few times we drilled it (ie. I let him put his forearm under my chin and we proceeded from there) except for sweeps I thought I'd ask for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    If he does get the first arm under your neck, get your hips are out to the same side as the elbow that's under your chin. Then cup his elbow with your palm and push/slide it away from the side your hips are on (edit: Forgot to add you have to do this rather quickly. Don't lay there fumbling for his elbow, it'll never work that way). This works especially well if he's bringing most of his weight to bear on his forearm. Try to sweep him or take his back as his elbow hits the mat.
    Thanks, I'll try this out next time. I guess this can be combined to an arm triangle attempt too?

Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    "if you're flat on your back, you're losing".
    I hear you. Passivity, or rather, lack of decisiveness and aggression is a real problem for me along with my piss poor gripfighting ability.
    Last edited by hpr; 1/07/2008 12:07pm at .
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 12:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've got to remember that The Rules are designed for fighting a skilled grappler; as such while it may be great to say "You can't choke someone from in their guard", this should really be qualified as "You can't choke somone from in their guard unless you're a lot better than them, and even then it's probably not a good idea."

I got caught with this a lot at a tournament I went to when I had only been training 3 months, fighting a lot of TMA crapplers; no one at gracie barra tried to choke me from in my guard so ironically I was quite vulnerable to it because I didn't know what to do.

As always, ask your coach what to do then drill the technique statically and in sparring until you've got it integrated. Then you can get to the point where if someone who doesn't know much tries to choke you in your guard you can make fake choking noises so they really over-commit at which point you armbar sweep them for big laffs.
    Last edited by Das Moose; 1/07/2008 12:06pm at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 2:25pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr
    Thanks, I'll try this out next time. I guess this can be combined to an arm triangle attempt too?
    Yes, but you don't need to be trying fancy subs while in the guard. Work on fundamental sweeps, escapes and subs for a year or three. Then try the fancy stuff.

Do not succumb to the Eddie Bravo fanboy factor. That is, working on low percentage, esoteric moves before you bother mastering the basics. Walk first, then run.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 3:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Yes, but you don't need to be trying fancy subs while in the guard. Work on fundamental sweeps, escapes and subs for a year or three. Then try the fancy stuff.

Do not succumb to the Eddie Bravo fanboy factor. That is, working on low percentage, esoteric moves before you bother mastering the basics. Walk first, then run.
    Well, that's what I've been doing so far, so seems that I've been on the right track from the start. Yay. Arm triangle from guard was mentioned in this thread and sounded like a cool way to surprise someone.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    Pushing away just makes an ezekiel worse.
    i wasn't suggesting he wait till the choke was fully locked in. it seems that he can see it coming to some extent, so pushing away will disrupt the submission before it's too late. may also leave him in a better position for an armbar (if i'm understanding his explanation properly).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12