Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 10:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ITF TKD / MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mdf2
    Traditional savate training raises one arm behind their head to provide balance for the same reason.
    Very tru, Savate kicking is sooo fucked tho, they have kicks where they keep their leg straight the whole time too lol, the "purring kick" makes no sense to me....wtf is someone doing kicking like a goose-stepping nazi?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 10:55pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They kick with boots on. That changes the entire fucking equation.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 11:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hips are a main point of balance, if you dont counterbalance with that hand youll lose all your power or just fall over.
    I don't. Granted I'm not a mauy thai expert, but I seem to kick ok and I keep my hands by my face. It did take me many years of practice for it to become natural though. Originally I dropped my hand like everyone else.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 11:54pm

Style: San Shou, Kickboxing MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If anyone cares the video posted by airman kai is a San Shou match.

It was in the World Championships where my trainer was at. In the red ( got KTFO) was IRELAND , came in hands low rocky-esque. brawler( think the fighting Irish).. fight shoulda stop LONG time ago... people were almost sad for watching a brutal beat down.

Other side , in black, was Switerland... highly techniqual, picked him apart, that was the finish of the brutality.

In San Shou we are taught to not drop our hands... although it happens naturally ... we work on generating power with our it, then if you feel comfortable you add it in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 5:19pm

Style: BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keeping my arm up comes natural to me when I kick. Should I learn to drop it?

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 6:52pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer506
    Keeping my arm up comes natural to me when I kick. Should I learn to drop it?
    Well, if you're still using chambered kicks (ala TKD), it doesn't matter that much. But if you're trying to learn how to throw a thai kick with all of your weight behind it, it helps.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 10:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    I don't. Granted I'm not a mauy thai expert,

Yeah, you're right about that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 11:11pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not just the counterbalance, it also increases angular momentum wich increases the power behind the Thai kicks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2008 5:12pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been told by my current MT instructor that it adds power, but I'm not so sure. I've seen some decent TKD practitioners who can kick hard as hell, and they, like myself, were taught NOT to drop the back hand, because it leaves you more open.

But, aside from the counter-balance thing, doesn't torque have something to do with it also? I thought there was some principle in physics concerning torque and how if one force torques in one direction, it makes the torque in the opposite direction stronger or something. :sleepy1:

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    1/08/2008 5:24pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent
    But, aside from the counter-balance thing, doesn't torque have something to do with it also? I thought there was some principle in physics concerning torque and how if one force torques in one direction, it makes the torque in the opposite direction stronger or something. :sleepy1:
    There is a Law of Conservation of Angular Momentum. If you sit on a well-oiled spinning office chair, stick your arm out, and swing it to your right, your entire body will swing (slightly) to the left. The net angular momentum of the entire system (0) is preserved; since some of the system gains angular momentum, the rest of the system must experience a net gain in equal but opposite angular momentum. The farther you stick your hand out, the more you will notice this effect.

I thought aloud about this over in this thread of mine a while back.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast