Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weight management aside, why are you only watching people at your weight class? You can learn from GSP or BJ Penn regardless of what weight you fight at.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 4:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Study Genki Sudo and try and do everything that he does.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SunTzu
    Weight management aside, why are you only watching people at your weight class? You can learn from GSP or BJ Penn regardless of what weight you fight at.
    Actually, I go the opposite and say watching professionals as an amatuer (or just a hobbyist) is usually a bad idea just because pros tend to be incredibly talented along with very skilled, something most folks tend to lack, and trying to emulate them is pointless. But I say this as a bitter man with no coordination who sucks at both fighting and every other sport endeavor I've ever had.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 6:09pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Actually, I go the opposite and say watching professionals as an amatuer (or just a hobbyist) is usually a bad idea just because pros tend to be incredibly talented along with very skilled, something most folks tend to lack, and trying to emulate them is pointless. But I say this as a bitter man with no coordination who sucks at both fighting and every other sport endeavor I've ever had.
    I'd say that's true to a large extent. Trying to imitate techniques executed by people with the coordination and attributes acheived through years of experience particular to those people is a recipe for disaster. However I think you can gain valuable information on how they think, and how they use the skills they have to deal with the opponent. Also you can judge a little bit the effectiveness of various training styles and other elements of preparation.

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 6:16pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't look at techniques per say but cage management, positioning, how they attack their opponents weaknesses, how they hide theirs, etc.

Heel Hook Hunter

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 6:42pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your teacher has a stupid idea. If you want to be like GSP or BJ Penn, go to a Judo or BJJ school and start there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 7:53pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, I think you misunderstand me a little. I never said I could be anywhere NEAR as good as GSP. I just cited him as an example for someone who's about my height who's also at 170 pounds. And man, easy? Jesus, I get beat pretty bad almost every time I step up to spar. I feel like its impossible for me to go far at all with this stuff, let alone match someone like GSP. There's a reason why they're the professionals and we're not -- I'd think that to be common sense. Of course, I thank you for your suggestion. It'd have helped if I were deluded into thinking I was a martial arts prodigy or something. Fortunately, I've had that thrown out of me a while ago. Nothing's as humbling as trying your very best and realizing that you've still got a long, long way to go. That's fine of course, but I'd like to look for professionals in the field in addition to doing my own training. Not because it'll be easy to emulate or anything, just because they've got a lot of experience and finesse that I lack completely. By looking at them, I think I can learn at least something. I don't want to 'become' that fighter or anything like that, but there's reasons why they're up there, you know? Maybe I can get something by watching how they move, how they react, how they break down their opponent...

I also don't get how one would bulk up by watching MMA... I do plan to work out, y'know. Unless of course you're being sarcastic, which is a possibility.

However, the majority of the suggestions seem to point out that I should be losing weight instead of gaining it... I'll ask around a bit more, but if more people suggest that, then I suppose I'll do that instead of bulking to 170 lbs.

If that's the case, what are some good lightweight fighters I should be looking for in addition to my search for welterweights?

Sorry if I came off as a bit rude with this post. Thank you all for your suggestions!

PS - Plasma, I hope you understand a bit better now that I've gone a bit more in depth with what I'm trying to get out of this.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The majority of suggestions don't suggest losing weight instead of gaining it. Again, you're confusing walk around weight with fight weight. Bulking up to 170 is fine, you just need to cut down to 155 come fight night.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 8:05pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh... I see. O_o; I'm not very experienced with all this stuff. Could you tell me why I shouldn't just stay at a certain weight?

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 8:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gallantknight
    Oh... I see. O_o; I'm not very experienced with all this stuff. Could you tell me why I shouldn't just stay at a certain weight?
    Because, if you are fighting someone in the 155 weight class, they are likely to have cut down from 175 or so. You will be 155, they will have 20 pounds on you. That's enough to put you at a serious disadvantage.

If your coach doesn't know this, you should be moving the **** on.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast