NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 11:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikW View Post
    Jesus Tap Dancing Christ Steve, it is about time.

Good review and thanks......but weapons? a 4. Do you actually teach people how to use that giant hammer and cycle?

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 1:39am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by unbreakablekid9 View Post
    im 14 years old

am i allowed to join? what are the age ranges?
    im not looking for competing in competitions . im looking for practice in punching kicking etc. also the all around workouts .
    can sum1 reply and fill me in with information.

thank you.
    Give me a ring. we don't usually take under 18, but I have made rare exceptions depending on the person.

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 7:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NYCS

This is a great school that I attend myself. SamboSteve, Reily, Tyga, and Massa are phennomenal instructors. Looking forward to learning more.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    9/30/2009 12:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My second review of New York Combat Sambo(NYCS)...

Well since my last time training at NYCS Steve changed location, the school is now on 36th two blocks from the north entrance of Penn Station (thus it is really easy to get there!).

I have to admit that due to the short time of my stay in NYC I could not take full advantage of all the classes offered, I honestly regret that. I did not take any striking class, thus I will keep the rating from my last stay! (Note that steve has since added a striking coach!) Same goes for the weapons instruction...

The classes I did take were take downs, leg locks and regular grappling/sambo. The warm up is the regular, running, rolls, some conditioning etc. After this it depends on the class.

Take down class felt a bit like a Judo class, drilling similar throws from the same set up. I liked the little twists that sambo has to offer here (having a bit of a background in BJJ and Judo it is always nice to see a new approach). And Steve is watching over it and will tell you where your throw is lacking and why. After the drilling we went on to some sparring, where the goal was to throw to position, constant attacks. Steve gave me some good pointers I will hopefully implement in my game in the future.

The grappling classes focus around one position (for instance side control or kesa gatami) and you will play the position from bottom and top with different goals, working techniques counters, counter counters etc. Usually you will spar after that from that position and later free. Here steve will be watching as well and help out and give you advice where needed. Once more I come to appreciate the "different" approach of sambo to positions. Class gave me a hole now appreciation for kesa gatami from top and some new tools to fight off from the bottom of kesa and side control.

The leg lock class is focused on, who would have though, leg locks!:psyduck: During this class some of my misconceptions of the ankle lock were cleared up (well BJJ and Luta Livre are not as good when it comes to leg attacks). And I will feed from the techniques and details I learned here for long. Like in all the other classes the focus was on one position and the options around it. Later we did some free rolling.

The way steve and reilly are teaching/approaching subjects I've come to like as well as the format of the advanced class, which is quite unique (I haven't seen something like it so far and I think I can honestly say I trained in quite a few places). The people are friendly and make the training a great experience.

I have to take away a little bit from space and equpiment (the mat is top though, so are the padded walls) since there is not much there, a throwing&grappling dummy, a big heavy bag(laying on the flow though) a few medicine balls and mits are all there is. Unfortunately they don't have the cage any more...
    A big plus on cleanliness mats get cleaned after each individual class.

Over all I enjoyed the training, though it was way to short but that was my fault (or luck from a personal, non sports perspective). In a city with that much BJJ New York Combat Sambo has something unique to offer that goes beyond supplementing your training. And that is not only leg locks but a whole different approach to take downs and positions you think you are familiar with wrapped in a training concept that will make the things you learned stick. I left to Brazil with a lot of new tools I hopefully will be able to successfully implement into my training here in Brazil and later on.

Thank you again Steve and Reilly as well as all the great people of New York Combat Sambo, I am looking forward to come back one day and venture further in the land of leg attacks...
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 10:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the review!
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    11/29/2009 1:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As of December 1, 2009 we are expanding our space. This will be a much needed increase in size which will allow us construction of a better waiting area, changing rooms, and warm up area.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    3/23/2010 1:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In January 2010, we expanded yet again! New waiting room, changing room, etc. We took over the space next to us and went through the wall :)

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 2:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    9/04/2010 12:03pm