Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 12:42am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by recourse
    I don't think it did. Funny I just PM'd sambosteve to find out.

You in Dallas?
    Yup. North Dallas. How about you?

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 11:17am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The people that were to arrange it dropped the ball. But we are looking to do our annual training camp there if we can find a suitable location. Any help would be appreciated.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve
    The people that were to arrange it dropped the ball. But we are looking to do our annual training camp there if we can find a suitable location. Any help would be appreciated.
    What are your requirements?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 10:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    20-30 people, 4 days availability (pretty much all day), in-house or good local room and board, local to airport or travel.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 11:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Long overdue review

This is a long long long overdue gym review/adventure thingy. I have a terrible memory and recently Blisterstarr and Murderethic brought up that we had forgotten to put up a review for SamboSteve's school back in December of last year. So that kinda makes us a buncha douches. For that I apologize to the Steve of Sambo profusely. We aren't complete assholes, just very forgetful. This also my first gym review so I'm sorry if I screw it up a bit. Now on to the review.

Blisterstarr, Murderethic and myself were incredibly fortunate to be able to attend Steve's school in NYC last December. We all live in Kentucky and are generally quite broke. The closest gym is 4 Seasons (known for Junie Browning), and that's an hour away. Gas prices are stupid so we end up training with each other, rather than make the drive to get maybe an hour's worth of instruction. So yeah. To drive from KY to NYC is a big damn deal for us. But an opportunity arose when a friend of ours there invited us to crash at his place. We had no other choice but to go in debt to do it and come back with bruises. I still have a cup bruise where I was accidentally kneed in the balls while working techniques. No joke. I swear it on my life. (I'll take pics if it'll get you hot) Finals had just ended and we were all shades of stressed out about money and time but we managed to get everything rolling and had enough people to split costs. So we drove to NYC and that is where this adventure takes place.

When we got to meet Steve for the first time I was fairly surprised. He seemed very unassuming and soft spoken. Business up front with a certain kindness in the back. Like a mullet that can knee-bar you. I was expecting him to exude supreme badass. I imagined when Steve would choke a man, his dead ancestors would tap. But really. Super nice person and very personable. He's also not one to be trifled with. Don't **** with Steve. He'll pull your head off. I felt immediately at home once we started working techniques. I don't have to detail how crazy skilled Steve is. You all know this. But for those who may question his teaching ability (psh yeah right), he's the single best teacher I have ever encountered. You might think I'm just saying that due to my limited experience but I truly mean it. I wanted to stay in NYC and just train. No money, or job. Find a place to stay and train. My whole life I've wanted to do nothing more than be a successful artist and make toys one day. This was the first time ever I said "**** toys, I wanna do Sambo." That's a big deal.

The techniques he covered I would guess were quite basic for sambo, but was pretty advanced for me. I got my first taste of throws and a proper way to do leg locks. I learned how to really do an armbar and how to escape. I won't lie. I sucked on the ground (still do if you ask me) and working with Steve really helped me understand being on the ground and fighting for position and submission. All of Steve's students were awesome too. I worked with monster named Phoenix who was as soft spoken as he was crazy strong and explosive. I held pads on the ground for a guy named Max. His punches could've crushed my brain had he missed. There was a tall guy named Baptiste who was incredibly nice and patient with my clumsy attempts at technique. And then of course there was Serg. Serg is just awesome. We were honored to be invited to watch his Instructor test. He's a phenomenal person, both on and off the mat. After the testing we were allowed to tag along with Steve, Serg and a few of his other students to a yuppie bar down the road. While there Blisterstarr was accosted by a drunk, demanding he take his drink. Both Blister and I are non-drinkers. Steve saw this and took one look at the man. Lightning shot from his eyes and the drunk retreated. Very epic.

The last day of the test/ bar trip/ steve jedi power manifestation was the last day we were able to attend. On friday both Blisterstarr and Murderethic became sick and half-way to the gym decided that it'd be better to bail rather than make everyone else sick.

Overall I rate SamboSteve as an awesome instructor. He was very concise. If more information was needed then he was more than happy to break it down further or give you examples of where/when the technique might be used. After teaching us a specific technique, he allowed us to roll with other students and test out what we've learned. This was really helpful. At the end of each class we had a round table style meeting where we could talk out what we've learned or ask for more clarification. This is a good example of how personable and professional Steve is. His experience really shines in everything he does.

As of right now, Blisterstarr, Murderethic and myself are planning to return to NYC to help our friend pack up and move back to Kentucky. This will be in August. We haven't discussed this with Steve yet because we really don't know how many people are going. A lot of our friends here want to experience Steve's excellent instruction first hand.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 2:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the review! Of course you guys re welcome to come back!

P.S. I don't have a mullet!! LOL (but I did in High School)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 2:49pm

Style: Catch as Catch Can

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, us being from KY and driving to NYCS to train was a freaking blast for us. I had been a fan of Steve after seeing him on youtube about a year or more prier. I showed my friend of Steve’s awesomeness and would always tell them when I taped them out with New York Combat Sambo’s techniques of the week. So talking them into going to New York train to train at New York Combat Sambo with me was a breeze.

So what did we find when we got there? All the guys were very nice, very professional and showed us lots of respect. Much more than we expected, I mean come on, were from Kentucky lol. When it was training time everyone got mega focused (just like it should be). I’ve never seen a class full of so many students serious about studying their art. By “so many”, I mean all of them.

Sombo is not all leg locks and shorts for those of you that don’t know. We worked Ground Striking to grappling drill, throwing foot work, gi gripping vrs throws, movement, leg locks & defense, armbars & defense. That’s just off the top of my head. We missed the striking class so… I can only go only comment on the ground striking drills and what I seen during the sparing from the students.

For the first time ever, I “got” throws. Not that I’m an expert now or anything, but with Steve’s instruction It all made sense to me. For the first time ever I threw someone who wasn’t a feather weight. I also got the chance to learn lots of neat little leglock tricks that tightened up my leglock game.

As Sharkbait said getting to see (the other)Serj test for instructor was a honor. It was a great chance for us to see what Sambo system had to offer, in a test full of aliveness. A move set demonstration proving he knew the material and a hard sparing test (5 or 6 rounds I think it was), with a fresh opponent every round. Swinging eskrimas at Serj’s head full speed … that all I got to say. Steve ain't givin' away no belts, son! Serj got a black belt as a symbol of being an instructor in America, unless Steve has changed things he does no in house ranking other than instructor.

We only wish we could have trained more or stayed another week (or two, or four). We are looking forward to going back for more training and seeing the new place. As well as meeting the new instructors.

As I said to Steve in an email…
    “There is a huge difference between good teachers and great teachers. It’s the suddle little extra things in the instructions that allow you to understand the technique and use it properly. You and Serj both have that. It makes a world of difference in learning for me and creates a comfortable setting for learning, because it keeps the frustration low. ..” We were all very impressed with Steve’s teaching methods and abilities.

-Brandon
    P.S. Steve I demand Mullet pic!

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 12:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, I will scan my HS Graduation Yearbook pic...1986!

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 10:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im 14 years old

am i allowed to join? what are the age ranges?
    im not looking for competing in competitions . im looking for practice in punching kicking etc. also the all around workouts .
    can sum1 reply and fill me in with information.

thank you.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast