Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 10:32pm

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would love to give Sambo a try.. have to find a place in dallas now.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 6:19am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are no places in Dallas that I know of. But, I am discussing a seminar there with some folks as we speak...

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    9/28/2008 7:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, thank you Steve and your guys for having me over at your club, I enjoyed the training.

I was fortunate enough to be invited by SamboSteve to train with his MMA class this Saturday. (Squerlli was supposed to join too but that is a different story)
    The school is conveniently located in walking distance of Grand Central (or other hot spots around 42nd street). You take the elevator up to the 4th (I hope I remember that right) floor and you are welcomed at the counter. After signing the obligatory waiver I walked pass a small cage on the left and a gym space on the right into the locker room. It felt a little bit small but I am spoiled from Renzo and it is more than sufficient for the people training there so don't worry. They have the regular benches, lockers and two showers (if I recall that right). After getting changed I walked back pass the cage and the counter onto the mats. I would say the space is about 2 and a half judo ring sizes. With windows on the left and the cage plus 4 heavy bags on the right. I was warmly welcomed by the other students. Steve is a great instructor (more later) and a real nice guy, he borrowed me his MMA gloves since I didn't have any.

For the MMA class (I don't know if this is the regular training and Steve can tell you more about that):
    The Warm up consisted of running (while one of the guys had to push a small medicine ball in front and over the head for 5 laps) break falls (forward and backward) mixed up with jabs, cross, knees and sprawls. Then we formed a circle and passed two medicine balls from one side to the other, changing directions after one minute. For the last minute we added one more ball to spice things up and increase the intensity.
    The Class started with stations, Grappling was station one, Heavy bag work out (two and three) and working on the Judo dummy (four) we rotated the stations every 3 or 4 minutes (I am not sure) with breaks of 1 minute in between. (Gives you the feel for the intensity of a fight). Steve observed mainly the grappling, giving advices (again giving you that fight feel) but also had an eye on the guys working the other stations. After finishing the first round of the stations we dropped the heavy bags and switched from one grappling station to two and added punches. Also now we started with a take down of choice and it was ground from there on. For the dummy it was take down and GnP for 3 4 techniques and back up... Although I consider myself being in good shape (I train 3 sessions a day) I had to take it easy on the dummy since the ground is demanding, so you want to be in good shape in order to make it through the class. For the rest of the time Steve showed me (because I asked) several intros for an armbar from take down, how you still get the submission of the other one knows how to defend (nice defence, was new to me but simple and very effective) and the part that was completely new for me, how to fight off a leglog. After the class we cleaned the mats and back to the locker room.

I would like to explain my ratings so everybody can understand them and you don't get a wrong impression.
    First, I only took this one MMA class so a regular class might be different (again ask steve for details).

Aliveness: 9 obviously it was an MMA class and people know what they are doing (especially steve) and I think the videos and achievements of his students are proof of the type of training you can get there. I took one point because we didn't sparred from the stand up but I guess they usually do it since people wore shinguards.

Equipment: 8 (more towards a 9 but there are no half steps) A huge plus, they have a cage, a small one but a cage which is great. They have 4 heavy bags and other stuff. Plus you have a full equipped gym. I took away a little because of the size of the locker room, but again I feel spoiled.

Gym Size: 7 because for the 5 people we were it was enough space but it will quickly get packed with more students and you have to step on the mats in order to use the heavy bags.

Instructor/Student Ratio: 10 because 5 guys and one instructor is nice and it was a class. You can ask questions etc. nothing to take away here.

Atmosphere/Attitude: 10 points also because people were nice and friendly, no ego during the training but everybody was focused and keen on learning and giving their best. I enjoyed the training, what else can I say?

Striking Instruction: 7 because we did striking but no sets were given and I only recall steve correcting one guy on the heavy bag (And I know my hands were bad during the bag work). Again this might be different for the other classes.

Grappling Instruction: 9 (more towards a 10) Steve explains everything in great detail, with the pro and cons. I felt confident with the stuff he was showing and he was giving good coaching during the rolling. I don't give full points because I can't judge what he knows and not because he is beyond me but there might be some thing he does not know ;)

Weapons Instruction: 1 because we didn't train any weapon stuff and I didn't see any lying around, so I am "assuming" they don't have that much instruction. Ask Steve for details.

Over all it was great training at New York Combat Sambo and I enjoyed every minute of it. From what I have seen I can highly recommend this school...

Thanks again for having me at your school Steve!
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    9/29/2008 12:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by f4n4n
    First of all, thank you Steve and your guys for having me over at your club, I enjoyed the training.
    Thanks for the great time and review! We were very glad ot have you and meet another BS forum member!

For the MMA class (I don't know if this is the regular training and Steve can tell you more about that):
    The Warm up consisted of running (while one of the guys had to push a small medicine ball in front and over the head for 5 laps) break falls (forward and backward) mixed up with jabs, cross, knees and sprawls. Then we formed a circle and passed two medicine balls from one side to the other, changing directions after one minute. For the last minute we added one more ball to spice things up and increase the intensity.
    The Class started with stations, Grappling was station one, Heavy bag work out (two and three) and working on the Judo dummy (four) we rotated the stations every 3 or 4 minutes (I am not sure) with breaks of 1 minute in between. (Gives you the feel for the intensity of a fight). Steve observed mainly the grappling, giving advices (again giving you that fight feel) but also had an eye on the guys working the other stations. After finishing the first round of the stations we dropped the heavy bags and switched from one grappling station to two and added punches. Also now we started with a take down of choice and it was ground from there on. For the dummy it was take down and GnP for 3 4 techniques and back up... Although I consider myself being in good shape (I train 3 sessions a day) I had to take it easy on the dummy since the ground is demanding, so you want to be in good shape in order to make it through the class. For the rest of the time Steve showed me (because I asked) several intros for an armbar from take down, how you still get the submission of the other one knows how to defend (nice defence, was new to me but simple and very effective) and the part that was completely new for me, how to fight off a leglog. After the class we cleaned the mats and back to the locker room.
    The class was a bit different than usual, but generally the class does run in the basic format you describe. We had a small crew that day, a guest, and Jon had just fought the night before. So, I cut out the sparring mainly because it seemed the energy was low. I also added more instruction since you were with us and had questions. Generally the class runs mainly drills to follow up on the weeks classes. The Saturday MMA class works to help everyone put together what they learn during the week. It is a cardio intensive class as you say. We will often rally around a particular fighter as well (if one of the students has a fight coming up).

I would like to explain my ratings so everybody can understand them and you don't get a wrong impression.
    First, I only took this one MMA class so a regular class might be different (again ask steve for details).
    I will add my comments if needed...

Aliveness: 9 obviously it was an MMA class and people know what they are doing (especially steve) and I think the videos and achievements of his students are proof of the type of training you can get there. I took one point because we didn't sparred from the stand up but I guess they usually do it since people wore shinguards.
    Like I said, we usually do spar, but I cut it out that day.

Equipment: 8 (more towards a 9 but there are no half steps) A huge plus, they have a cage, a small one but a cage which is great. They have 4 heavy bags and other stuff. Plus you have a full equipped gym. I took away a little because of the size of the locker room, but again I feel spoiled.
    The cage is 20'. Also, since I rent from the gym to run my program, people should know that the gym is only available to my students if they purchase a gym membership.

Gym Size: 7 because for the 5 people we were it was enough space but it will quickly get packed with more students and you have to step on the mats in order to use the heavy bags.
    For grappling classes we take down the bags which gives a bit more room. But it can get crowded when the class goes beyond 12 people. Also, there are never grappling classes and striking classes run together (except when we do station work), so the bags being on the mats don't really get in the way too much.

Instructor/Student Ratio: 10 because 5 guys and one instructor is nice and it was a class. You can ask questions etc. nothing to take away here.
    I try to keep the class fairly individualized and pay attention to everyone who needs it.

Atmosphere/Attitude: 10 points also because people were nice and friendly, no ego during the training but everybody was focused and keen on learning and giving their best. I enjoyed the training, what else can I say?
    Thanks!

Striking Instruction: 7 because we did striking but no sets were given and I only recall steve correcting one guy on the heavy bag (And I know my hands were bad during the bag work). Again this might be different for the other classes.
    As I said, the saturday class is more of a drill class and less "instruction". So I let the folks work on the bags on their own. I coach the ground work or partner drills to keep an eye out for injuries, coach the guys in the live work, etc. But, we do have striking class during the week which is more "instructional". There is much more coaching on striking when we spar as well.

Grappling Instruction: 9 (more towards a 10) Steve explains everything in great detail, with the pro and cons. I felt confident with the stuff he was showing and he was giving good coaching during the rolling. I don't give full points because I can't judge what he knows and not because he is beyond me but there might be some thing he does not know ;)
    I certainly don't know everything...LOL.

Weapons Instruction: 1 because we didn't train any weapon stuff and I didn't see any lying around, so I am "assuming" they don't have that much instruction. Ask Steve for details.
    We do weapons on wednesday night. They are tucked away in the big black duffle bag.

Over all it was great training at New York Combat Sambo and I enjoyed every minute of it. From what I have seen I can highly recommend this school...
    Thanks again for having me at your school Steve!
    You are very welcome and you are welcome back anytime before you head back to Germany! Thanks again for all the feedback and comments!

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 2:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As of December 30, 2008 NYCS classes are on hold while we secure a new location for our club. We hope to re-open in january, 2009.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/10/2009 9:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We will be re-opening at our new location on Thursday, January 15th.
    225 west 36th street, 6th floor.

New expanded class schedule is listed here:
    www.nycombatsambo.com

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 2:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The coaching staff at our club includes:
    myself, Reilly Bodycomb (grappling coach), Tyga Maclin (wrestling coach), Peter Zaslow (boxing coach), and Miguel Rivera (Striking coach)

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    2/10/2009 11:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New gym phone number:
    917-617-5650

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 12:21am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve
    There are no places in Dallas that I know of. But, I am discussing a seminar there with some folks as we speak...
    Any update to this possible Dallas seminar? Don't tell me it already happened?!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 12:23am

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    Any update to this possible Dallas seminar? Don't tell me it already happened?!

I don't think it did. Funny I just PM'd sambosteve to find out.

You in Dallas?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast