Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 5:13pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkonguitar666 View Post
    I with everything you say here. I understand that the "shaolin influence" is very weak, its mostly all kempo from what I see, and for me a black belt in this system is only a start. I feel like I've learned a lot from my school, but I hope to move on soon and pick up a new system.

Thank you, with much respect
    Travis

"It is mostly Kempo?" I think not. I have observed SKK before and I feel insulted that youwould say it is mostly Kempo. It has a weak Kempo influence from my observations.

Travis, let us know where you are at and we will find you a place to train. As has been stated, it is time for you to move on.

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 8:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    "It is mostly Kempo?" I think not. I have observed SKK before and I feel insulted that youwould say it is mostly Kempo. It has a weak Kempo influence from my observations.

Travis, let us know where you are at and we will find you a place to train. As has been stated, it is time for you to move on.
    tsk tsk tsk it is a real test of character dealing with honestly and transparency isn't it? You are teaching this young man a horrible lesson behaving this way, on this thread or otherwise. you should be ashamed of yourself
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 10:22pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    tsk tsk tsk it is a real test of character dealing with honestly and transparency isn't it? You are teaching this young man a horrible lesson behaving this way, on this thread or otherwise. you should be ashamed of yourself

Yes and thank you for pointing that out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 9:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkonguitar666 View Post
    I absolutely understand that I'd get my ass handed to me by traditionalist black belts and kick boxers, but where on earth will a black belt attack me on the streets. I've developed techniques that will help defend me against strangers who don't know that I've studied for 8 years of kemp and 5 years of Jukado.
    "It's o.k. if I have bad training beacause everyone I encounter will have no training."

Wrong. This is a commom argument but it fails on two fronts. First, martial arts and combat sports are now common enough that it's entirely possible to be attacked on the street by a black belt, a varsity wrestler, a golden gloves boxer, etc. Second, your post implies that only well-trained opponents pose a threat. It seems you've never heard the adage "Professionals are predictable. It's amateurs who are dangerous". Go to youtube or liveleak and you'll find countless examples of "mere streetfighters" doing horrific damage to their fellow man, some of whom, based on the stances they take and/or the techniques they use, are trained, to at least dome degree.

If you like your school, by all means stick with it but your posts seem to recognize some shortcomings in your training. If that's the case you would be well-advised to move on sooner rather than later.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 9:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    "It's o.k. if I have bad training beacause everyone I encounter will have no training."

Wrong. This is a commom argument but it fails on two fronts. First, martial arts and combat sports are now common enough that it's entirely possible to be attacked on the street by a black belt, a varsity wrestler, a golden gloves boxer, etc. Second, your post implies that only well-trained opponents pose a threat. It seems you've never heard the adage "Professionals are predictable. It's amateurs who are dangerous". Go to youtube or liveleak and you'll find countless examples of "mere streetfighters" doing horrific damage to their fellow man, some of whom, based on the stances they take and/or the techniques they use, are trained, to at least dome degree.

If you like your school, by all means stick with it but your posts seem to recognize some shortcomings in your training. If that's the case you would be well-advised to move on sooner rather than later.
    So with all this "great info" everybody is giving out, what is the recomendation
    to this fine Lad?
    not everyone these days wants Crav Magna or BJJ . so for the full M.A. taining whats your choice?

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 12:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottrey1 View Post
    So with all this "great info" everybody is giving out, what is the recomendation
    to this fine Lad?
    not everyone these days wants Crav Magna or BJJ . so for the full M.A. taining whats your choice?
    IIF had a post that I think answers this quite well. I agree witrh his post 100%. to prphrase: "do what you like and don't try to justify it, just enjoy it."

At 17 this kid should not have to use his arts to confront dangerous street people.... And anyone who thinks a person just needs the right art to do so is delusional. No a little BJJ will not do any better against a very aggressive person who likes to hurt people.

People one of the great features of a civil society is that we generally allow people to escape from the life that is "nasty brutish and short."
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 1:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IIF had a post that I think answers this quite well. I agree witrh his post 100%. to prphrase: "do what you like and don't try to justify it, just enjoy it."

At 17 this kid should not have to use his arts to confront dangerous street people.... And anyone who thinks a person just needs the right art to do so is delusional. No a little BJJ will not do any better against a very aggressive person who likes to hurt people.

People one of the great features of a civil society is that we generally allow people to escape from the life that is "nasty brutish and short."
    ah alas,, someone who speaks wisdom. I feel that was a very good quote too!
    Thank you! I truly enjoy my style and know many other that enjoy their own styles with out belittling a soul looking to improve themselves. I hope he to continues with what he enjoys and brings all the positves with him as he continues.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 1:31pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I agree that he should do what he enjoys, but I also completely disagree with the second paragraph of your post. Styles, while not the end all and be all determinant, absolutely do make a difference when it comes to fighting. Although doing MT, or BJJ, or boxing etc certainly won't immediately make you a badass, they are a hell of a lot better set of tools to have then training in something with little to no "real world" applicability.

I sincerely hope that he never has to "confront dangerous street people" but that doesn't mean it's an impossibility either. In the event of that happening, I would sure as hell want "a little BJJ" more than a little Yellow Bamboo or McDojo TKD.

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 1:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iainkelt View Post
    I agree that he should do what he enjoys, but I also completely disagree with the second paragraph of your post. Styles, while not the end all and be all determinant, absolutely do make a difference when it comes to fighting. Although doing MT, or BJJ, or boxing etc certainly won't immediately make you a badass, they are a hell of a lot better set of tools to have then training in something with little to no "real world" applicability.

I sincerely hope that he never has to "confront dangerous street people" but that doesn't mean it's an impossibility either. In the event of that happening, I would sure as hell want "a little BJJ" more than a little Yellow Bamboo or McDojo TKD.
    I never said styles don't make a difference. I said that a fair amount of training in any art is not a substitute for being trained to deal with people who like to hurt others, I used BJJ as an example of that. Good training always makes a difference including what art one trains in, but there are no magic arts that instantly allow one the ability to deal with these situations.

The preparation for violence involves training to be outside your comfort zone, to be prepared for conflict on any level, grappling, weapons, multiple, etc. To learn how to equalize and control a situation that most people freeze up upon having to deal with.

No, whether intentional or not you are making this a point about styles. That is not my point at all. My point is that no person unless training for how to deal with violence OR .... haviong studied martial arts properly for that situation a few years or so (meaning probably on average bout 3-5) should not harber illusions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 2:03pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never said styles don't make a difference. I said that a fair amount of training in any art is not a substitute for being trained to deal with people who like to hurt others, I used BJJ as an example of that. Good training always makes a difference including what art one trains in, but there are no magic arts that instantly allow one the ability to deal with these situations.

The preparation for violence involves training to be outside your comfort zone, to be prepared for conflict on any level, grappling, weapons, multiple, etc. To learn how to equalize and control a situation that most people freeze up upon having to deal with.

No, whether intentional or not you are making this a point about styles. That is not my point at all. My point is that no person unless training for how to deal with violence OR .... haviong studied martial arts properly for that situation a few years or so (meaning probably on average bout 3-5) should not harber illusions.
    As stated previously, I agree that there are no magic tricks that "allow one the ability to deal with these situations" but I disagree that style vs style isn't inherently involved in your argument.

Some styles, including but not at all limited to BJJ, simply do a much better job preparing people for violent confrontations than others by the way that then tend to be trained. There are exceptions of course, but the live sparring/rolling found in styles like boxing/MT/BJJ/Judo/SAMBO etc are closer to real life street fights then spending an hour in a horse stance punching the air.

Obviously sparring isn't exactly the same as fighting, but being manhandled and put into very uncomfortable positions and learning how to fight through the fear/pain/exhaustion is highly beneficial mentally. It also helps to disabuse you of any notions of having "teh deadly skillz" when you are starting out, and makes you realize how badly outclassed you are by just about everyone in the gym and how little you really know. In my experience, those are the kind of lessons that tend to keep people from seeking out violence. Not always of course, but generally speaking.
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91516171819 20212223 ... LastLast