Posted On:1/25/2008 10:19am
sorry guys i just got called in to work on saturday...If you guys are sticking around in he evening I'll join you for drinks---cheers!
Posted On:1/25/2008 12:14pm
Style: Mixed Muay Thai
Just got back from the Dr's - apparently I got a nice bit of Staph infection in a cut over my eye, and since I don't really want to give it to any of you guys, it looks like I won't be training for a while. Sorry.
Posted On:1/25/2008 12:18pm
Have a question here: I don't have MMA gloves.. how do we treat those fighting w/ boxing gloves when taken down to the ground? We Can't strike w/ MMA gloves..I know I can't because I won't have enough control for those <10 ounce gloves. I'll try to bring some band-aids just in case of cuts.
Here's a list of the ufc rules btw: (from http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=LearnUFC.Rules if you're too lazy to scroll down lol) I put some comments on some points.
Weight classes: [Top]
Lightweight - over 145 lbs. to 155 lbs.
Welterweight - over 155 lbs. to 170 lbs.
Middleweight - over 170 lbs. to 185 lbs.
Light Heavyweight - over 185 lbs. to 205 lbs.
Heavyweight - over 205 lbs. to 265 lbs.
(We can totally disregard weight classes..we're not trying to kill ea. other are we?)
Bout duration: [Top]
All non-championship bouts shall be three rounds.
All championship bouts shall be five rounds.
Rounds will be five minutes in duration. <--We should warm up w/ 3 mins/round first
A one-minute rest period will occur between each round.
1. Butting with the head.
2. Eye gouging of any kind.
4. Hair pulling.
5. Fish hooking.
6. Groin attacks of any kind.
7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.
8. Small joint manipulation.
9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head.
10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
13. Grabbing the clavicle.
14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
21. Spitting at an opponent.
22. Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.
28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
30. Interference by the corner.
31. Throwing in the towel during competition.
+-->No knee strikes to the head? Might be too dangerous.
Ways To Win: [Top]
1. Submission by:
Physical tap out.
Verbal tap out.
2. Technical knockout by the referee stopping the contest.
3. Decision via the scorecards, including:
Unanimous decision [all judges pick the same fighter as the winner].
Split decision [One judge picks one fighter, the other two judges pick the other fighter].
Majority decision [two of three judges pick the same fighter as the winner].
4. Technical decision.
5. Technical draw.
8. No contest.
Posted On:1/25/2008 1:50pm
I could walk to the Langara Y if i wanted, it's that close to my house. However, i can't get the day off so it's a moot point.
Posted On:1/25/2008 2:47pm
So there's only 3 of us going to this. Might be more worth the trip if we can postpone it a week when more people are available.
Posted On:1/25/2008 2:51pm
Up to you guys, I'd prefer it now and next week and the week after that if possible lol
Posted On:1/25/2008 3:10pm
It would be cool if I had more time to commit to that, but as it is I have to budget. Fair play to all those guys who live in the area and can do it regularly. I'd just like to join in when more people are available and make it a bigger event, instead of regular training/sparring/rolling (which I already get). Throwdowns are kind of like the early UFCs. They're a forum for punks to bring what they have to the table, and then to address why it sucks.
Posted On:1/25/2008 3:53pm
So everyone agreed it's postponed to next week then? Gawd I just wanna reverse punch somebody already!!! lol
Posted On:1/25/2008 5:03pm
HEY!! I'll be in (North) Vancouver from the 26th to the 5th of Feb. We should get together while I'm in town! I'll bring my gear and everything.
"The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg
El Guapo says dance!
Posted On:1/25/2008 8:14pm
Next week we'll all meet up chaosexmachine! Can't believe there's not more people replying to this thread, considering how many people I see wearing Affliction, Tapout and other 'tough guy' shirts lol CMON PPL! FILL THOSE SHIRTS!
Articles and Reviews
Tools and Info