Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 3:18pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Elbow and blood - the winning combination

I live in Sacramento and the rain this morning was nuts - unfortunately for me, after a series of crap (power went out and alarm didn't go off) I got on my bike and rode to work - there was brush everywhere because it is POURING outside but I was find, I made a sharp left as I came closer to work going pretty damn fast (my fault - I was in a hurry) and my bike slipped, and me with it. My left arm broke my fall and I'm fine - but my left elbow (right above it) was bleeding quite a bit - super deep scratch. The bleeding is under control but I missed BJJ last night and need to go and on top of this I'm helping a friend train for a fight on Saturday. My question is...advice on anything I can do or buy or a means of patching up my arm/elbow to endure some BJJ and Muay Thai (not full contact sparring)?

Anything I can use for compression that won't cost me an arm and a leg that will assist me in not bleeding all over the matt?

Like I said, the bleeding is under control, but it was still very recent and training is in five hours.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bandage it up with lots of cotton wool underneath to soak it up if it does bleed. If your really keen, put non toxic glue over the wound. Note: this may be a bad idea.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 4:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is always safer to consult a health care professional than to listen to fucking idiots on the internet. At least where your personal well being is concerned.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 4:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glue I'll avoid. Cotton wool and lots of tape...sure.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 9:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stiches

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 9:20pm

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Londos
    Stiches

like The Question said, if it looks like it's going to tear open even if you pad it/tape it up, go to the doc. otherwise be smart and DON'T TRAIN. as soon as that thing rips open and starts bleeding, no one's going to want to train with you.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 9:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, MT Punching bag

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know if they are easily found but you could always get yourself some butterfly stitches. Those worked wounders for me when I gashed my thigh open (it was about a half inch deep but only just over 1/4in wide, but worked as an alternate to stitches) and then again temporarily when I broke my nose. It worked great, painless and it stuck on for days even in the wash. If its a deep or large cut though it may not work so well and it definetly wont do anything to minimize scarring. I dont know if they are readily available in drug stores though since I got them at the hospital both times, however I dont see why they wouldn't be.

Good luck

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 9:40pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best thing to do is refrain from training. Failing that, you guys know that superglue was originally developed to close up wounds on the battlefield right? That's what I use when I cut myself deeply at work.

Alternatively, liquid bandage can work. Buy it at a pharmacy, but that probably won't stand up to BJJ.

None of the other stuff posters mentioned will stand up to the sweat factor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2008 10:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys kick ass.

Thank you.

I ended up doing tape and gauze and it worked all right - I had considered liquid bandage on top of (technically below) all of this and will definitely give it a shot.

Butterfly stitches seem to be an option.

For the most part it just stings a bit at the moment - it's a few deep scratches in a very inconvenient area.