Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 3:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shock Doctor Gel Max Mouth Guard

I want to start off saying that this mouth guard has been the best I have ever used. Now my experience in the whole mouth guard game has been your garden variety that you can purchase from the dojo for 3 - 6 bucks. I purchased this mouth guard from a local sports shop while shopping for new shin guards, and have been thoroughly surprised by the quality and functionality of this particular product.

This mouth guard is your typical boil and bite construction making it easy and less messy to use then those make your own gel mouth guard kits. I found that as soon as I bit down into the gel of these mouth guard, it was soft and conformed to my teeth almost perfectly. After allowing it to cool further, I took the guard to my MMA class.

During my sparring session I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was as easy to breathe through as a double mouth guard. (the rubber on the guard is arched slightly to allow for breathing) As I clenched down on the guard I discovered that the notches in the back of the guard near the rear of the jaw pushed my bottom jaw forward and aligned my jaw perfectly.

The construction and durability of the product is great as reflected in the score. After several sparring sessions and one amateur fight it has held up and still offers the same protection from the first day I bought it.

Now for the Cons of this product.
    I have found that because it is a single I have had issues with my bottom lip getting cut up from my bottom snaggle teeth, and I did have to cut a small piece of plastic from the front of the guard because it was rubbing against the inside of the upper lip. I also wished it came with a case that I could keep the guard in.

PROS:
    Great Construction
    Ease of Use
    Boil and Bite method
    Easy to breathe through
    Durable
    Jaw aligning feature

Cons:
    Minor flaw in plastic
    no protection for bottom teeth

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 9:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the detailed review. What does this mouth guard retail for and where is it commonly sold?

Posted On:
    1/08/2008 1:10am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo
    Thanks for the detailed review. What does this mouth guard retail for and where is it commonly sold?
    Looks like it is sold on the internet for around $10. I'll let you explore the online search function to determine their website.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2008 7:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have found them at pretty much every sports outfitter in my area. (Southern Illinois) I have not seen them at walmart or the more common retail stores. They can be found online through Ringside, Combat Sports, Title ...etc.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2008 10:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good to know. Thanks for the review and thanks for the update.

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 6:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian JiuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I picked mine up from Modells for $11 or so about a month ago. I like it.

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 11:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    had bought this mouthpiece as well, great protection and was comfortable but if i got tagged the inside of my upper lip would get sliced over and over again due to that plastic sheild...i opted for the run of the mill shock doctor pro mouthguard. worked better for me.

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 9:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use this mouth guard and am very happy with it thus far, no problems. In regard to the case, I purchased one separately for a few bucks so I didn't mind it not coming with one.

Posted On:
    2/02/2008 11:57pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally love this mouth guard, so much so that I sell it to my students at cost. Oh, and it also comes with a dental warranty, IIRC.

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 8:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The shock doctor I've used. Primarily for skating after I saw a mate of mine bust out 3 teeth while doing a rail.

I've never taken heavy hits in it, in martial arts, but it's comfy as all hell, stays in place, molds nicely and my favorite part...comes with a warranty which insures your teeth for 350 a piece (total of 12k) if any are knocked out while wearing the guard.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast