Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 8:29am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is this right?

G'day,

This is my first post and so I'm sure I'll receive some sarcastic and/or smart-assed answers.. but here it is:

I was hoping I could get a definitive answer to this question that has been bothering me for quite a while.. I'm going for my 1st dan in Moo Duk Kwan in a couple of months and I have to do a break with a jump side kick. The thing is, I'm really not sure the way my instructor taught the technique is correct. I have great respect for him, but I've never seen the kick done his way.

I was taught that (if in a left foot forward guard) you should shoot up your right leg (rear) to get your height, then twist and do the kick off the left leg (front). Now when I try that it just feels wrong - it feels like I'm changing the direction of my momentum and, hence, losing power, and I also see it as wasting time when your right leg is already chambered.

Every other time I've seen this kick done I see the rear leg shot up for height, and then they turn and kick using that same leg, and when I do the kick like that I feel it is a lot more controlled and powerful, though my instructor won't let me do it like that for my grading. Has anyone ever seen it/been taught it the way my instructor teaches it? Is it just a stranger method of doing the kick or is it entirely wrong?

Does anyone else have any questionable techniques they were taught? Whether it be the technique itself or the method of performing the technique?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 10:43am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Snap-kicks will screw up your knees. Do not do them.

For your problem, practice the rear-leg side-kick. Even if your momentum is slowed down, the push can still be powerful.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 10:54am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Munkus,

I understand your description. I don't see any reason why you couldn't throw the kick this way,but I agree that you are robbing it of power but executing it in this manner. For the record I have never seen a jumping side kick thrown this way.
    Are you throwing this from a stationary position or from a running/jogging approach?

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 7:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you're doing a jumping side kick where you jump off one foot and kick with the other.

Don't you do jumping front snap kicks like this from time to time?

When you bring up the first leg for height, just don't throw that hip over like you would for a sidekick.

I would hope you're not assigned a standard jumping side kick for your 1st dan... even this variation on jumping side kick seems too easy for that rank.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 8:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    Are you throwing this from a stationary position or from a running/jogging approach?

We have to do it from a stationary position (which is kind of reasonable because our dojang has a low roof so adding that extra momentum may get you a little too high).

Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    Don't you do jumping front snap kicks like this from time to time?

Yes, though they feel a lot easier to do in this way; perhaps because you don't need to raise the kicking leg as high to chamber it when doing the jumping front snap kick.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    I would hope you're not assigned a standard jumping side kick for your 1st dan... even this variation on jumping side kick seems too easy for that rank.

Ha yeh i agree it would be too easy, but don't worry I don't JUST have the jumping side kick, I have to do all the breaks for my 1st Dan. I also have to do tiles, not sure how many though - the last one I saw had to do 7 so maybe I'll be in the same boat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 9:55pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Generally the kicking leg is the lift leg as well. Sometimes you use both legs for a straight up jump, but the weight transition and power will come from same-leg lift/kick.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/03/2008 9:35am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL
    Generally the kicking leg is the lift leg as well. Sometimes you use both legs for a straight up jump, but the weight transition and power will come from same-leg lift/kick.
    This is why asked if he was running or stationary. A double leg jump straight up sounds the way to go with this one.