Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 4:27pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    of course he knew. When you post words, out of context, with out any type of back up information, we question you.

When you become upset, because we want more proof, it shows a bias/vendetta.

Now, please provide proof of your allegations. Oh wait you still haven't outlined what you are trying to prove.

The only thing definitive, in all you words, is a semantics debate on whether or not he teaches JKD as defined by your perceptions.

According to his definition and the proof you provided, he doesn't teach an art the way you perceive.

Case Closed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 7:02pm

Style: WHKD & Doce Pares

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbox
    Found this on the Jerry Beasley web site:
    Timeline
    1995: Promoted to 8th dan JLAKS (also signed by Bill Wallace and presented with top-name martial arts personalities in attendance, including Gokor Chivichian) *** so he was actually promoted to 8th dan by both Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace****

1996: Heads college division at World Conference in Washington, D.C., with 108 countries represented. Promoted to Full Professor, Department of Excercise, Sport and Health Education, Radford University.

1997: Produces through Panther Video a tape series entitled JKD Scientific Street Fighting

1998: Featured on the cover of Black Belt magazine; promoted to 9th dan tae kwon do (World Headmasters Sokeship Renmei, Europe); JKD Hall of Fame (England)

1999: Receives 9th dan from Professor Wally Jay and Professor Michael DePasquale, Sr. (IFOJJ), with Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace (who received 10th dan) in attendance

2000: Receives U.S. patent and trademark for inventing the Road Rage Reducer "Polite-Lite", an inter-vehicular communication device. Publishes "The Jeet Kune Do Experience."

2000: Inducted into the Black Belt Magazine Hall of Fame as "Instructor of the Year."
    2001: Receives 8th dan and becomes president of American Moo Duk Kwan Council as designated inheritor of the system from first (1968) instructor, Grand Master Whitman Davis, 10th dan.

2002: Publishes "Mastering Karate" for Human Kinetics; Completes a 100k grant for the National Institute of Health on Road Rage

2003: Introduces first "mixed martial arts" national association (WFMMA) at Karate College.

2004: Poses for his second Black Belt Magazine cover.

2005: Special Guest Instructor for Black Belt Magazine Hall of Fame Reception and Seminars.

Here are some of the credentials listed for Dr.beasley. The actual diplomas from Joe lewis and the 9th dan presented and signed by Michael DePasquale sr (10th dan)and prof Wally Jay (10th dan) can be found at www.aikia.net.
    It only took two seconds to find that website Tonelock69 since they advertise in every issue of black belt magazine, with the images of the actual diplomas. The diploma from Dan Inosanto is on another page marked media ( who says dan inosanto does not teach jeet kune do?).
    Toneloc69, I can't find anything here that doesn't appear to be on the up and up. I think you have made a mistake, or did you know that before you made the thread?
    Kinda looks like "check & mate" Mr Loc.

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 2:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jerry Beasley

I attended RU and I am very familiar with Jerry Beasley. When he was just starting his martial arts curriculum in the mid and late 80's, I was there to witness and participate in it.

Some of his classes were useful and sometimes fun. The thing that made them less enjoyable were two things really: His enormous ego and his drive to come up with ways to make money on the side. In fact, he even had us participate in mock photo ops for his 'camps' and so forth.

I recall in PE classes he taught where he would go into great detail and brag about how he would just walk to his p.o. box and have checks waiting for him for his AIKIA organization.

Mind you, I am not one to go against making a dollar but, truth be told, some of the comments and concerns that were pointed out by others regarding him are indeed valid from my past experiences with him.

In the end, Jerry Beasley is a business man first, a martial artist second, and an instructor third.

Does all this make him a terrible man? No. Has time changed him? That is quite possible. I know it has certainly changed me. I like to think for the better. I hope it has in his case as well. But after taking a walk down memory lane here on this thread, I am not so sure.

'The only enemy a man must face in the end is himself'

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 7:50am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did not Joe Lewis who was promted to 10th dan in Kickboxing by Michael DePasquale Sr. and then later promoted Wallace and Beasly to 9th dan in AIKIA Organization...

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman View Post
    Did not Joe Lewis who was promted to 10th dan in Kickboxing by Michael DePasquale Sr. and then later promoted Wallace and Beasly to 9th dan in AIKIA Organization...
    This is an excellent start to what I am sure will be an informative sentence.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 12:07pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The forum here starts out with a letter from 1993 that actually did not hold up in public court when challenged in a suit, now blackdragon42 says he was a student close to 25 years ago and the professor may have mentioned off-hand something about making money in a PE class. Is this really that dramatic? Some professors might say the darndest things sometimes, but it doesn't mean they necessarily have an ego or are money-hungry. Next some guy will claim to have been his Sunday school teacher from the 1950’s and say Dr. Beasley was caught one time with his eyes open while the class was saying a prayer. Anyway, it's kind of a dead issue, and people evolve over time. From what's been out there Beasley's been researching various areas of martial arts for years, and JKD is just one of them. I think his contributions to the TKD and Karate communities. along with promoting many other martial arts, shows that he's good at what he does and has branched out alot since then.

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 12:12pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    This is an excellent start to what I am sure will be an informative sentence.
    The excellent point is that Beaseley is a 9th dan quack like the most of the organizational promoted Grand Masters. As for Joe Lewis, what the hell is a 10th dan in kickboxing. So I guess Mike Tyson is a 10th dan in boxing...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 12:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats what I was thinking when I read it......

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 12:51pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a nephew that goes to RU and took Dr. Beasley's class in Asian martial arts last spring. He said the guy is pushin 60 but looks really young and moves like he was twenty something. The last day of the class a guy challenged him to a push up contest. Dr. Beasley did 100 push ups in 1 minute. The entire class applauded. He must be in shape.
    Anyway I was told Dr. Beasley has retired and teaches like one two martial arts classes a year. He is now an administrator for the internship program for sport administration/fitness management etc.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman View Post
    The excellent point is that Beaseley is a 9th dan quack like the most of the organizational promoted Grand Masters. As for Joe Lewis, what the hell is a 10th dan in kickboxing. So I guess Mike Tyson is a 10th dan in boxing...
    I believe the rank is in "American Kickboxing", and yes, its BS. DePasqualle is a JJJ guy and is not an expert on Kickboxing. As to whether he is an expert on anything useful, I suspect Tony Fricklund would have a thing or two to say about that.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast