View Public Profile
    Send a private message to KeithAtTakadaDojo
    Find More Posts by KeithAtTakadaDojo
    Add KeithAtTakadaDojo to Your Buddy List

10-17-2002, 12:21 PM #7
    DJ Coldfusion
    Registered Member

KeithAtTakadaDojo,
    I know you asked JKDchick the question, but I had to put my foot into that one and answer the question.
    Joe Lewis is a great martial artist, no he's a fucking amazing martial artist. Jerry Beasley is a no talent hack and a sham of a martial artist who got a "doctorate" in physical education without ever producing a thesis (commonly, and properly, referred to as an EDD instead of PHD) or adding to the body of knowledge as a PHD candidate is generally expected to do . . . but he wants everone to call him "doctor" anyway.
    The fact remains that neither Joe LEwis or Jerry Beasley claimed any direct connection untill after Jerry's "falling out" with one of his instructors at his Karate College summer camp (which Renzo teaches at). The instructor in question is Mike Brewer who now teaches out of Colorado Springs Colorado and perhaps "falling out" is not the correct phrase to use but it seems appropriate since Brewer is a legitimate martial artist and certified JKD instructor who has won national level titles in Muay Thai as well as other legitimate accomplishments, unlike Beasley who saw a chance to cash in and decided he would become the JKD teacher.
    We are talking about the same Jerry Beasley who started his own Ninjitsu organization without ever having a single class, a single moment of instruction from anyone remotely associated with Ninjitsu (outside of watching "Nine Deaths of the Ninja") thirty seven times).
    We are talking about the same Jerry Beasley who claims JKD certification through Joe Lewis (whose JKD experience was limited to working out with Bruce Lee a few times), and while Lewis is incredible as a martial artist he isn't a JKD guy . . . and why would he want to be? Unless its to cash in, which it apparently is since he has always maintained his "stance" as a karate guy with pride untill we suddenly see Beasley hopping with excitement over the possibility of selling some tapes and other crap from another one of his illegitimate organizations.
    Joe Lewis is for real, Beasley is a clown.
    Here's something from an interview with Paul Vunak concerning Beasley and a few others:
    Quote:
    PFS: We’re going to name some names, and would like your frank opinion of these people.
    Jerry Peterson, Jerry Beasley, Matt Thornton, Ron Prather, Lamar Davis, Erik Paulson, Chris Clugston, Burton Richardson.
    First of all, I cannot answer that question because I object to the way it’s stated. I do not believe it is appropriate or respectful to clump Burt Richardson, Matt Thornton, and Erik Paulson in with the rest of those folks. Burt and I go back a long way, I believe him to be my friend, he’s always shown nothing but respect and admiration for Dan, and is a very good martial artist with lots to offer. I feel the same way about Matt Thornton. Matt is what I would call a distant cousin of ours – much like the Machados and the Gracies are cousins. Matt learned his JKD from Tom Cruse, who you all know is a student of mine. I respect Matt very much – he’s an excellent fighter, an excellent teacher, and I always recommend his tapes to everyone. And Erik Paulson – Hell, what can I say about Erik? He’s probably one of the coolest guys I’ve ever met in my life.

Beasley will never give more than a very basic smattering of JKD.
    I would personally attend a Joe Lewis seminar to see one of the greatest Karate fighters of the last half century, not for his "JKD".
    Their JKD is mostly Lewis' Karate (which is fairly dynamic) with a smattering of JKD phrases out of the Tao of JKD and an over abundance of Beasley attempting to exercise his educational credentials by quoting his own hack philosophical interpretations of Lee's writing (which hey, every PE coach -- which is functionally what his egree qualifies him to teach -- is up there on an intellectual level with Plato, Socrates, Kant and the boys . . . right?)
    As far as the link provided above . . . I'd rather learn from Beasley.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=698

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 10:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: No style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    However I have never taught an art or style and called it JKD nor have I ever owned a JKD school. I teach martial arts and work primarily with black belt instructors of karate, taekwondo and kickboxing. At one point in the 1990's I published many articles on JKD and became "labeled" as a JKD instructor. I have never been interested in limiting my instruction to JKD but was attracted to JKD because so much misinformation was available on the subject I found it interesting to solve the riddle of the way of no way..
    Jerry Beasley
    www.aikia.net

RU LINKS
    PHED Department Home
    Radford University Home page
    College of Education and Human Development About Radford University
    This concentration prepares men and women to teach physical education to young people in grades K through 12. Students in the teacher education program may earn a Bachelor of Science degree and a license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
    To be admitted to the Teacher Education Program, a student must meet all minimum requirements for admission (see Education and Human Development section in the undergraduate catalog). Graduates obtain positions as teachers of physical education, coaches of athletic teams, and directors of intramural activities. Men and women who enter this program, while not expected to be superior performers in all physical education activities, are expected to develop considerable skills and teaching abilities in several areas. A 2.5 grade point average is required for graduation.
    Requirements are organized into three sections:
    1. General Education Requirements
    2. Core Requirements
    3. Concentration Courses.
    All course requirements for students in this program are outlined below. Also, the following study options and minors are also outlined:

Majors are required to take the following courses and are advised to take them as part of their General Education requirements. 50 Hours TotalEngl 101. Intro. to Expository Writing.3Engl 102. Reading, Writing, & Research Skills. 3Humanities or other English course (s) (6 hours).6 Philosophy or Religion course.3COMM 114. Public Speaking.3Fine Arts courses (3 hours).3 International/cultural (3 hours).3 BIOL 101. Principles of Biology I.4CHEM 101. General Chemistry.4STAT 205. Business Statistics. Or STAT 208. Statistics for the Social Sciences. Or STAT 211. Statistics for the Biological and Health Sciences. 3Other mathematics course (3 hr)3HLTH 200. Wellness Lifestyles. 3History Course (s) (3 - 6 hours).3 - 6Psychology courses totaling 3 - 6 hours (PSYC 121. Intro. to Psychology required). 3 - 6Courses from two of the following areas (6-12 hours): Sociology, Economics, Political Science, Anthropology, Geography (not 100, 234, 235 or 303). 6 - 1225 HoursTotalBIOL 322. Anatomy and Physiology (6). or BIOL 310 & 311 (8)6 - 8PHED 210. Introduction to Teaching Physical and Health Education. 2 RCPT 317. Adventure Programming. 2 PHED 391. Exercise Science Foundations. 4 PHED 395. Motor Behavior Foundations. 4 HLTH 320. Health and Safety Foundations. 4 HLTH 465. Exercise, Performance and Nutrition. 3HLTH 423. School Health Instruction. 3 3PHED 200. Tennis/Gymnastics. 1 1PHED 265. Wellness and Safety Activities. 1PHED 294. Motor Development. 3PHED 295. Fitness and Sport Skill Evaluation. 2PHED 375. Materials and Methods in Physical Education. 3PHED 383. Games and Movement for Elementary Education. 2PHED 385. Physical Education for Exceptional Children. 3PHED 388. Coaching the Athlete. 3PHED 475. Measurement and Evaluation in Physical Education. 3Three semester hours to be chosen from:
    PHED 231. Theory and Practice (T&P) of Soccer. 1
    PHED 234. T&P of Basketball. 1
    PHED 235. T&P of Volleyball. 1 PHED 236. T&P of Track and Field. 1
    In addition to the Concentration Courses listed above, 18 additional hours of courses in the College of Education and Human Development are required for licensure to teach in the State of Virginia: EDUC 309. The school and the student.
    EDUC 420. Education in the United States.
    PHED/EDUC 453. Student Teaching: Grades K - 12. A student teaching experience in two clinical settings: one in an elementary school and the other in a middle school or a high school. Twenty­five hours of observation/participation are a prerequisite for admission to the Teacher Education Program, and must be completed prior to registration for PHED 375.

Physical education majors concentrating in teaching can receive an endorsement to teach health by taking the following 15 hours of course work:

HLTH 411. Principles of Accident Causation and Prevention. (3)
    HLTH 451. Drug Use and Abuse. (3)
    HLTH 452. Human Diseases. (3)
    HLTH 455. Family Life Education Teacher-Training. (3)
    HLTH 460. National / International Health. (3) Students should be aware of the large number of hours required to earn endorsement and should plan on it taking at least one additional semester.
    Driver's Education endorsement can be received upon completion of:
    HLTH 410. Driver Education Theory (3) and HLTH 412. Driver Education - Driver Task Analysis (3)
    (20 semester hours) Students may earn a minor in physical education by completing 20 semester hours in physical education classes; at least nine hours are required in theory (rather than in activity) classes. Students should consult with a physical education adviser in selecting classes. (11 semester hours) This option allows physical education majors and non­majors the opportunity to specialize in one area of sport. A statement of completion of the option is included in the student's file for prospective employers. Successful completion of this option enhances the employment chances of all teaching majors, not just those in physical education.

Required Courses
    PHED 322. Introduction to Athletic Injuries. (3)
    PHED 388. Coaching the Athlete. (3)
    PHED 400. Coaching Practicum. (2)
    PHED ___. (Activity Class in the Chosen Sport). (1)
    Two semester hours to be chosen from:
    PHED 231. Theory and Practice (T&P) of Soccer. (1)
    PHED 200. Tennis/Gymnastics. (1)
    PHED 234. T&P of Basketball. (1)
    PHED 235. T&P of Volleyball. (1) PHED 236. T&P of Track and Field. (1)
    (10 semester hours)
    The martial arts option is open to all Radford University students. Upon completion of the option students may receive a statement of completion in multi­cultural self defense. Students with prior martial arts training may also qualify for Martial Arts rank including the level of black belt.
    Students who become certified instructors may seek full or part­time employment with recreation departments, health clubs, or school systems, as well as personal trainer or security/body guard positions.
    Students who have achieved Martial Arts rank, especially the level of black belt, are qualified to manage professional karate schools. Members of the Radford University martial arts program have appeared in major martial arts journals. Radford's instructor training program is certified by AIKIA and is recognized at the national level.
    Required Courses 10
    Ten semester hours to be chosen from among:
    PHED 130. Karate. (1)
    PHED 131. Kobudo. (1)
    PHED 133. Kali. (1)
    PHED 134. Kung Fu. (1)
    PHED 135. Jeet Kune Do. (1)
    PHED 136. Tae Kwon Do. (1)
    PHED 137. Jiu Jitsu. (1)
    PHED 330. Advanced Karate. (1)
    PHED 361. The Martial Arts. (3) PHED 362. Principles of Self Defense. (3) Semester hours earned in the martial arts option may be counted toward a physical education minor. Students may further enhance the option by completing the commercial fitness concentration.
    Send Mail to:phed-web@runet.edu http://www.radford.edu/~phed-web/teaching.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 10:59am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JKDC vs OJKD...outdated riff

Nice investigation Japan Junckie,
    You quoted:
    "In 1998 Paula Pederson Inosanto along with fellow Gaithersburg, Maryland instructor Michael Krivka (Martial Arts Koncepts) were identified for publishing” false, damaging and libelous information” against participants in the “Original JKD” movement. The certificate was used to disprove their contention. A court date was never set. The results of the Michael Krivka/Paula Inosanto alliance continues to be a topic of many internet forums and chat rooms."

Seems like the JKDC gang were just trying to monolopize the art by leaking false info, ...sort of like the Hillary Clinton campaign, another woman who married into fame,. As long as tonelocO69 and other JKDC members continue to post this old libelous and now obviously false info the OJKD versus JKDC riff is still going strong. If you are going to claim someone had no training (Dr. Beasley obviously had the certificates to prove he trained in jeet kune do and kali) you should post your own diplomas first, er uh tonelocO69, so we can see if this is just a JKDC campaign leak of false info or you actually have a case. This thing has been played out on every forum but let's see if anything new pops up this time.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 11:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    04-11-2005, 11:07 PM
    Aikia vbmenu_register("postmenu_599590", true);

JKD Certification ...Dubious?

However I have never taught an art or style and called it JKD nor have I ever owned a JKD school. I teach martial arts and work primarily with black belt instructors of karate, taekwondo and kickboxing. At one point in the 1990's I published many articles on JKD and became "labeled" as a JKD instructor. I have never been interested in limiting my instruction to JKD but was attracted to JKD because so much misinformation was available on the subject I found it interesting to solve the riddle of the way of no way..
    Jerry Beasley
    www.aikia.net

PHED 137. Jiu Jitsu. (1)
    PHED 361. The Martial Arts. (3)
    PHED 362. Principles of Self Defense. (3) Semester hours earned in the martial arts option may be counted toward a physical education minor. Students may further enhance the option by completing the commercial fitness concentration.
    Send Mail to:phed-web@runet.edu
    Last edited by Toneloc069; 1/02/2008 11:11am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 11:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tonelocO69,
    Did you join just to post this info? Go to the current www.radford.edu site and you will discover that any and all "PHED" classes have been dropped and are no longer a valid reference. You need to update your info. According to the Radford site only classes with "ESHE" prefix are being taught. Of course you are referencing a 'koncepts'website with a letter dated 1993, so you need to check into the new century. Unless you are really the front for the JKDC campaign and your mission is to leak info, any info, false, whatever, old, that works, outdated...someone may beleive it right? toneloco69 going to have to call a very definate BULLSHIT on your thread.:new_popco

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 11:16am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    However I have never taught an art or style and called it JKD. - Jerry Beasley
    PHED 137. Jiu Jitsu. (1)
    PHED 361. The Martial Arts. (3)
    PHED 362. Principles of Self Defense. (3) Semester hours earned in the martial arts option may be counted toward a physical education minor. Students may further enhance the option by completing the commercial fitness concentration.
    Send Mail to:phed-web@runet.edu

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 2:07pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In 1998 Paula Pederson Inosanto along with fellow Gaithersburg, Maryland instructor Michael Krivka (Martial Arts Koncepts) were identified for publishing” false, damaging and libelous information” against participants in the “Original JKD” movement.
    "identified" is a wiggle word. The real question is whether Beasley sued them or not for defamation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 5:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JEET KUNE DO vs the JKD CONCEPT?

However I have never taught an art or style and called it JKD. - Jerry Beasley

Toneloco69, other than performing 'trollshitdo' on Dr.beasley what, may I ask is your point?
    This idea that someone called Mike krivka has a web site with an unplublished letter dated 1993 that bashes anyone that sides with Bruce Lee's "Original" jeet kune do including Wong, Lewis, Poteet, Davis, Dill and Beasley among others has been played out here and other forums. Beasley produced a certificat for 50+ hours of training in jeet kune do and kali signed, authorized and presented by Dan Inosanto.
    So obviously he did train with Inosanto and received a certificate from Inosanto. I would venture to state that you will not find another Inosanto certificate anywhere that states that the person received training in 'jeet kune do'. Keep in mind that almost everyone else can show only a certificate in something called the 'JKD Concept".
    If the idea is to say that Dr.Beasley is not certified in the JKD concept who cares? Dr.Beasley has on his site an authentic certificate indicating 50+ hours of training in JEET KUNE DO.If someone has 50+ hours training in JEET KUNE DO, what's to stop them from teaching what the know?
    You are playing on words here saying he is not certified in the JKD concep yet he is certified with 50+ hours in JEET KUNE DO.
    I don't know about you but I would take jeet kune do over the "JKD concept" any day!
    What is the JKD concept anyway? Is it an art? Did Bruce lee develop it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 8:33pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting discussion. What matters is if Beasley has the respect of several peers in the JKD community as to whether he is an authority on JKD and knows the subject or Bruce Lee. I would say judging on the amount of publications, interviews he's done, as well as his own training experiences, he knows quite a bit. I find it ironic that I actually am training under a Vunak guy right now who knows Mike Brewer and who in fact let me BORROW a Beasley book that he OWNS for reference info while I'm doing training towards my instructorship. Besides Joe Lewis, I think he has had the endorsement of Ted Wong, as well as other former students of Lee at varying times. And the funny thing is, this issue is kind of dead anyway. If you've been to any other JKD groups or trained with any Original students of Lee, you would see that there is a great deal of overlap between schools of thought. Bruce did teach different things to different people, but you can still see a core set of ideas that many of them have, including Joe Lewis. I've done workshops with Inosanto, Lewis, Bob Bremer, Beasley, a Paul Vunak guy, Tim Tackett, even met John McNabney (a Poteet guy), and I can say that they all do things of some kind that Bruce did and all have different areas of expertise. Yet, there is a core set of principles that they all maintain, though they establish themselves as being completely different. JKD is hard to define completely because the groups all have a different focus. Anyway, the issue is sparase compared to this new group arising called the Bruce Lee Foundation, which is gaining more prominence in the JKD community and is attempting to unite the Lee students to a degree. The factor will be, who will become the most important JKD group in the ensuing decades? That remains to be seen, but clearly, the persons on the advisory board represent a range of various JKD groups currently existing from all over the spectrum, including Ted Wong, Greglon Lee (James son), Andy Kimura, Diana Lee Inosanto, Tim Tackett, Bob Bremer, Shannon Lee (Bruce's daughter), etc. This is just one JKD group, as many have legitimate ones are out there with just as much prominence.

This silliness about who was certified and not certified to teach gets ridiculous after a certain point. Some people say that Lee only OFFICIALLY certified Inosanto, James Lee, and Taky Kimura, but apparently he didn't want anyone to call what he was teaching JKD. Now, giving authorization does not mean that the person has to have a piece of paper to teach. In fact, I have an old email from Jesse Glover, one of Bruce's first students back in Seattle, saying that he gave permission to Jesse to teach back in 1962, even before many of the more famous students met Bruce. Jesse told me that, like others have said, Bruce ordered his schools to be closed down I guess around 1970 and teach only small backyard groups. It doesn't matter anymore because the schools closed, ceasing to exist and produce a solid lineage. If the schools had continued, perhaps it would have been easier, but now we know Bruce is dead, and personally, Jesse even said that he felt people could teach whatever they want to teach. However, this is very true, and I've heard this from other students of Bruce, that Bruce said people could teach, but not call anything Jun Fan or Jeet Kune Do. Basically, he was concerned about who was teaching and had a reason to close his schools. So, he closed the schools, no one ever got authority to teach Jun Fan or Jeet Kune Do, and people could teach "stuff," but obviously no one was qualified to teach what Bruce felt was JKD. In fact, even if people claim to be teaching JKD, it's still not necessarily the same as Bruce's JKD because they are not Bruce Lee. It's their own interpretation of Bruce's art, yes, but it's still not "authentic" JKD because there is no authentic JKD, just the students' ideas about what JKD entails. This is defined simply as enhancing one's own personal JKD. The lineage certainly helps, but the issue is that there's no official governing body for JKD, unlike the Kukkiwon for WTF TKD in Korea or officially sanctioned Judo events by one of the main judo governing bodies. OK, people can teach unofficial JKD then, but since there's no official authority, no one can claim the mantle and Bruce is dead, the kwoons have closed, and the students had to disband and start practicing on their own. Hey, if your karate school goes out of business, it's up to you to continue your training, but find a way. You can claim to be teaching the "authentic JKD," but it's not like Bruce is going to rise from the grave and slap you on the head, saying "I told you not to call it JKD!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 9:02pm

Style: WHKD & Doce Pares

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I'm not the only one here who is wondering what your personal beef with Mr Beasley is.
    May be you don't have one but anytime someone joins and the first thing they do is attack someone else red flags go up for some of us.

Please explain your personal experience with Mr Beasley.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast