Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 10:53pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread bump:

I've been too busy to properly report on some of the stuff I've been building, specially on how to build a slam ball and a sandbag. So, for the time, I'm gonna keep it simple for the simplest things (that sounds like an oxymoron):

Home-made rings: Regarding the rings I started building here and finally installed here, they had a fatal flaw.

After a while of using them, the PVC tubing would give in right in the middle, losing it's circular shape. Surfing down the net I found that other people had the same problems using PCV pipes, and that they solved by filling the tubes with sand. The sand makes sure the tubes do not collapse and go flat under pressure.

So the first step was to apply glue with a glue gun on one end:

Then straighten the tube, fill it with sand and seal the othe end with glue. Once both ends are dry, bend it again until you get the shape you want:

Solid as a real ring! At least for a while. In the end, it didn't work as well as intended. So I'm forced to put some pool noodles on the rings when doing dips.

It's ok I guess, but this is the first experiment so far that didn't end up being as intended.

This is one of those cases where it's best just to fork the $70-90 bucks and get a pair of rings compared to the time and effort put on something that doesn't work as well as one hoped for. :tongue6:

It is still a workable solution, but some may prefer not to deal with the annoying details required to make it work.

Deadlift platform:

Reading an article in t-nation, I saw different commercial glute-ham raise stations, prices starting at $300. For me? No way Jose. Throw a dowel on the platform, secure it with a pair of clamps, put a rubber mat where your knees are, and voila, ham raise station, ghetto style:

-- EDIT --

FYI, this is a ham raise.

Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/19/2008 7:55pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    2/19/2008 8:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sandbag!!!

The next thing is a sandbag. I followed Ross Enamait's sandbag construction kit on how to build one with husky construction bags, but with a small twist to use less plastic bags.

First, you put enough sand in a husky bag to get a given weight (I used 15lbs), make a tight bundle, which you secure at one end with duct tape.

Next, you take that bundle and flip it inside the bag

Once you flip it, make sure you pull the ends of the bag until the initial bundle is tightly inside the bag. Next, you begin to wrap that bundle onto itself. Make sure that each fold is tightly packed.

Once done, fold the sides tightly and secure the resulting bundle with duct tape. You can see in the scale that it's about 15lbs.

Then add more duct tape accross the bundles. Use your judgment in how much you want to use (for me, more==better)

Then, I put the bundles in sea bags I bought in amazon for $15. Using two bags makes it a bitch to grip. So use one or two depending on what you want to train.

And that's the bag on the right size (next to some other crap I made) and three 15-pounder bundles in front of it. So far I can load that sandbag up to 150lbs at 15lbs increments. I want to make two 10-lbs bundles and more 15lbs ones to get up to 200lbs.

... coming up next... slam ball.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    2/19/2008 8:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I started building the slam ball following instructions from crossfit and Ross Enamait's work, but I didn't want to use their ideas for funnels as it took them too long to pour the sand.

First, I started using an empty bottle of saline solution. It worked well as first, but I got impatient. As I tried to increase the size of the hole using a hand file, I tore it bigger than planned. That pretty much screwed it for a slam ball. Eventually I filled it up to make it a 25-lbs medicine ball, so it wasn't that much of a loss.

So, I took another basketball, and I was careful in punching a hole in it. For a funnel, I decided to insert a baby drop dispenser. It is important to keep the needle in the ball to allow air to come out as you pour sand:

Then I put an empty bottle of saline solution I was using first (with its end cut off) inside the drop dispenser, and voila, I got a nice, efficient funnel. It took about 10 minutes to fill it up with sand.

You can see the sand quickly going inside the ball. It was kinda cool.

Later you use a tire patch kit to patch the whole, you let the thing dry, put another patch, and begin to tape the crap out of it with duct tape.

Does it work well?

I think so. I've been slamming the living crap out of it, and so far, it hasn't busted open. The trick is not to completely fill the ball. A basketball may take about 17lbs, maybe 18lbs, but that's it. You need to leave room to be filled up with air.

This is not a bouncing slam ball. If you slam it on concrete it will barely bounce. This is good since it avoids having that thing accidentally bouncing on your face and it forces you to pick it up off the ground.

I do most of my slamming indoors, and I'm a bit worried about the floor. So I slam it on a rubber mat under a piece of plywood. I've also tried two and three rubber mats. Three is great as you get it to bounce (just be careful as the bouncing is erratic and can bounce with force right into your face.)

I find this to be much better than sledge hammer workout. Or I should say that I like it better. I don't have to worry about switching sides, it works my forearms more and the downward pulling/throwing action in the trajectory it takes (right on front and above you) does an even work on your lats. Take a wide stance and contract the glutes as in a squat when doing this.

My home-made ring fiasco has been compensated by this puppy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t1FlMUS32A
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/19/2008 8:38pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2008 9:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, MT Punching bag

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank god you dont live in an upstairs apartment.
    Last edited by Leo11; 2/19/2008 9:42pm at .

Posted On:
    2/19/2008 10:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is always the parking lot ;)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2008 10:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, MT Punching bag

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats an option, although im at school so I dont have much of an option at all. Cant wait to try that at home on the new flooring though :)

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 9:23am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet gear, Macho. Aside: I'm looking into Ross's stuff, in what order would you recommend his books?
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 9:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually have both. I haven't finished reading both (I'm a very disorganized reader), but "Never Gymless" is about general strenght and conditioning about what things can be done for working at home and within budget or elaborate equipment whereas "Infinite Intensity" is more geared towards the combat athlete (and develop what he calls GPP, general physical preparedness). Both books have a 50-day program that can be taylored, cycled and recycled as needed.

Both programs used defined workouts by name (just as crossfit has Grace, France). That makes it easy to remember what workout name means what. My favorite (and the reason I did the slam ball) is a routine called 'Workout Capacity 101'. The following clip shows one round (ideally completed in 75 seconds, followed by a 45-second break). This is to be repeated 10 times for a total of 20 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjaTd_ZemkQ

Both books go well together. I haven't seen the DVD, and I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it yet (at least not until I've gone through the books.) I'd get both books, use "Infinite Conditioning" for MA conditioning and "Never Gymless" as a guide of things that can be done at home.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/20/2008 10:16am at . Reason: gah! typo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 11:21am

Style: BJJ-Caique, Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love the idea of these types of "real motion" excersices. I am lifting at the gym with a partner so I am mostly doing standard gym free weight routines. The partner is what makes me stick with it and so it is worth not doing exactly what I want to have the partner. If we ever stop working out together, I will change it up to this kind of stuff in a heartbeat.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/20/2008 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EM - That's awesome and I want one. So you went by weight, not volume, when pouring the sand to fill up the ball?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast