Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, El.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2008 12:01pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know how things are in Australia but here in the US yard/garage sales are great for finding work out equipment. People buy stuff especially around the first of the year and after a couple of weeks it all becomes very expensive dust collectors. You should be able to buy weights very cheap that way.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    1/28/2008 7:42pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by smillard
    I don't know how things are in Australia but here in the US yard/garage sales are great for finding work out equipment. People buy stuff especially around the first of the year and after a couple of weeks it all becomes very expensive dust collectors. You should be able to buy weights very cheap that way.
    The problem is just finding a yard sale. I blame tiny population.

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 9:01am

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by smillard
    I can't agree more with this. I got a pretty sweet set up for $100. There is no telling how much it originally cost. It is a huge piece with three stations (high pulley, low pully, bench press, military press, leg press). It is in my Laundry Room, which is perfect since it's only aparent use is to have clothes hanging on it.
    Real Join Date: Nov. 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    "Driving without blood is surprisingly difficult."

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    The pool noodle is slipped over the original plastic tube no glue just a tight fit. You can still see the grey tube in the center. That will keep the bolt from cutting up the pool noodle.

Edi: I just read what you said more carefully. the grip is designed to pivot freely on the bolt. That is why it has so much more wrist exercise than normal. you have to stabalize the whole thing. Doing these with your feet on a physio ball is next to impossible.
    Somehow I missed this one. Hmmmmm, I have to be careful myself with my right hand if I were to go for it that way. And now wonder why you find it hard to use it.

I was thinking more on the line of a solid, non-mobile grip as in the 'perfect push up' widget. I may actually build it your way, though.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 12:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    The problem is just finding a yard sale. I blame tiny population.
    That and people in the states are constantly looking for that silver bullet that will be the cure all for their weight loss, improved fitness or "the six pack abs".

Try gyms or other training facilities too, also as odd as it sounds if there are any buildings such as hotels that have gyms in them that are slated for demolition or renovation stop by and see if they are throwing the equipment away. I've set myself up a decent little gym with interlocking matts a stationary bike and treadmill from buildings I've been involved in demolition on. Sometimes you can slip someone at the site a few bucks to go through it.
    Also check schools, gyms or other places with training facilities and see if they are getting rid of any of their old equipment. Just because it isn't good for commercial use doesn't mean you couldn't get a couple years use out of it.

Or act like a REAL American and find a social or political cause, start a protest that degenerates into a riot and target the local sporting goods store during the ensueing looting.

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 12:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dooode!!! That's suggestion is horrific and wasteful!!!

You don't use a riot to get a bunch of dumbbells. You use it to get a mega-ass plasma and a home entertainment system!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2008 1:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's Australian, they have to start small, can't go for the whole enchelada at once. Spreading American democracy is a slow process.....stay the course my man, stay the course.

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 10:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thread bump:

I finally got the time to install the rings I made (previously discussed here).

Holy crap. I don't know what the **** is in the wood beam (adamantium maybe), but it took fucking forever to screw those things - killer shoulder workout. And this was after drilling a 9/36" hole for the screws to go in.

Anyway, this contraption seems rock solid. The rings are about waist level. A tad low, but that's good for my g/f to do assisted pull ups. Doing dips in these things is hard. Last time I did weighted dips on a station, I did like 10 reps with 95lbs on a dip belt. With these rings, it's a challenge to get 10 reps body weight. It requires a lot of stabilization == teh cool.

I did several tests last night and this thing is rock solid. I'm happy with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpzFmOTtnic

The other new thing I have is a pair of stackable lifting platforms made out of a 2"x12"x8' and a 2"x4"x8'. Each piece is basically a 2-foot long piece of wood, 12" width with one 1-ft long 2"x4" at each end. There are four of those.

You can stack them all four and make a deep thing for step ups. It's not good for jumping but that's ok.

The top 2 have 1x1 pieces on their ends to stop the barbell from rolling.

I wasn't designing them that way, but they ended up being perfect for me for floor push ups and rack pulls 2/3 up of my shins. Taylor made by accident. I drop stuff on them and so far seem capable of taking a beating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLlwMLBymaM

I'm going to build four more and figure out how to slide a "core", a pipe or something through them to stabilize them further. You can put them in, take them out, and stack them in a small corner without taking a lot of space.

The only caveat for anyone who wants to build them. Make sure you use a drill bit thick enough to go through them and use a clamp to inmobilize the thing. I couldn't find my clam, so I used my feet to hold them. Lo and behold, I moved a bit thus breaking one of my bits (crap!)

One more note. 2x12's are usually curved through their lenght, just a bit, but never perfectly flat. Use that to your advantage by placing the concave facing up. This acts as a cup to hold the blates IN the platform.

The only question I still have about this thing is whether to use an additional rubber mat under them to protect the floor during deadlifts. :icon_scra
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/01/2008 10:35am at .

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    2/02/2008 3:18am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just want to point out that working with a Swiss ball for balancing work is bloody difficult, especially for someone who hasn't tried it before. Standing on one would be a godly feat. Don't try it unless you're very sure you can do it, or you'll just fall on your head. Me, I thought I was clever just being able to kneel on it!

As for the 'finding weights' thing, I'm gonna head by the local what-is-effectively-a-pawn-shop-just-shinier and see what they've got. They tend to have stuff like bikes and I'd be very surprised if they didn't have some basic exercise gear. Will report back later in the week edit-style; might be a good way for would-be shoppers to get gear cheaply.

Edit: This thread should be sticky'd. DIY is awesome and I bet we'll get more than one patron asking about it.
    Last edited by socratic; 2/02/2008 3:34am at .
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast