Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 2:50pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No prob dude. If I'm not making a trip to Home Depot today, it will be tomorrow. I would use a jigsaw as you suggest only if there is a lot of material sticking out. Otherwise, I'd leave like that.

I was wondering if 1" PVC tubing is thick enough for stability/grip work. I would have preferred something between 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" for a better grip. Maybe I can tightly put the 1-incher inside a 1.5-incher or use an oak dowel... this is going to be interesting.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 3:04pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought I would like a thicker grip too but I had trouble finding a good grip material and then since the 1"pvc spins on the bolt I thought it would be good enough. I originally had my eye on 1.5" stock but wasn't sure how to go about building up the lag bolts. Any thicker bolts than what I have are hard to find and really expensive.

I actually found the original receipt. looks like my bolts are 1/2" x 8" and the pipe I used is actually 1/2" ID grey PVC conduit I think I found it in the electrical section. Know that I'm looking at it a section of white Pvc pipe in 1.5" would probably slide right over it with some tape or something in there.
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 1/06/2008 3:08pm at .

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 3:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmmm, funny. I've never check the PVC tubing in the electrical, only in the pumbling section. I just notice I keep saying "PVC pipe" for the crap I used, when the actual name is "PVC hose".

You beat me with the sliding pipes idea. The hoses I used for the rings are 1 1/4", with an inner diameter of 7/8" (22.225mm). The thickest PVC host that I've seen that would fit inside that one is a 3/4" (19.05mm). It may be possible to slide pipes of different dimensions until getting one with the appropriate outside diameter for gripping, and an inside diameter small enough for the bolts.

Check the plumbing section. The PVC hoses are flexible enough to be cut with ease with a sharp knife... and I'm thinking it should be possible to boil the crap out of them to temporarily expand their inner diameters if necessary.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 5:49pm

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mentioned using a tire in the prowler thread, but the idea of putting them inside the hollow of the tire rather than just on top is pretty cool, allows more variety so long as it stays there, which burkaing it does.

Posted On:
    1/08/2008 10:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 12:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    * bump! *

WhiteShark, I haven't built the thing yet, but went to check some crap on Home Depot and make some measurements. I think it might be possible to secure a 5/8" flex PVC tubing inside a thicker one using melted silicone (I need to get some goggles and a pair of gloves... just in case.) Or, use a 2" oak dovel drilled from the inside to have a 1/2" bolt as core.

Drilling the hole with accuracy would be a bitch on a dovel long enough to fit inside a 6" endcap. If we were to cut it in two sections, however, the drilling would be a lot easier on each section.

In the meantime, check this one out! Ross has this on his books/manuals. Should be pretty easy to build these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmPxIUt7AEw

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 12:07am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I already have a commercial ab wheel they are so cheap it is retarded to make one.

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 1:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The exception being that with a pair of hand-made ones, you can do a pec-fly with an abdominal at the same time as shown in the end of the clip ;)

I did that exercise once with two skateboards. The exercise itself was a bitch, but it more so with the boards since I couldn't grab them well - I had to put pressure on the boards with the open hands (which doesn't bode well with my tendonitis). I don't think that problem will happen with the DIY versions shown in the clip.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 1:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo Tum Pai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first let me say i've been training with tires for a little while now and have several sizes for what ever i'm gonna be doing. one average size, one of my old high performance, and some large truck tires, allows dif weights and sizes without the addition of weights. and having the dif sizes allows for more resistance, or less resistance. just something to think about.

i've got another really simple one for you, its for stretching, all you need is a rope or cord, and an eye bolt. you know one of the bolts with the loop on one end and the bolt part on the other. heres the build eye bolt into ceiling, rope thourgh eye bolt with a slip knot on on end. the rope should be long enough to reach the ground on both ends. to use it you put your foot in the loop made by the slip knot and useing the eye loop as a pully stretch your legs.

i find it makes it really easy to do some stretches that are a little harder without a training partner to help hold your leg up. and its expecially usefull after a good hard leg workout.

sorry for the lack of picture, hope my poor discription is good enough.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 1:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I already have a commercial ab wheel they are so cheap it is retarded to make one.
    I bought one at a garage sale for $3. Best place to pick them up.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast