Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2008 8:58am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, i picked up some old slings used for lifting plane wings from work, looped them around my chinup bar and ghetto'd up some handles out of rope, tape and garden hose. They work great.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 7:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll take some pictures tonight of my ghetto ghetto setup.

I also modified a thin barbell into a thicker one with the help of some metal pipe. I don't know why.

STILL TO MAKE:

Weights/barbell holding tree
    Bench preacher curl extension

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 8:34pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thickbars are the best thing you can do for your arms dude. I've actually found them to help me with my chronic tendonitis (in addition to working my hand extensors.)

It's funny you mentioned you just did a thickbar. I was fooling around yesterday with some 3/4" rope and voila, a 3.5" thickbar:

That's a 25lbs dumbbell, and the rope is looped around twice (if I loop it only once, I get a 2" thickbar). I tried to lift it with the 3.5" thickness cold turkey (like a tard), and man, that **** felt like a ton. I unrolled it to get the 2" thickness and it felt much better than using the pool noodles.

Once warmed up, I could use the 3.5" grip - still challenging at first, but good stuff. I think I'm going to adopt this approach. The grip feels much better, firmer.

I may try later to loop it one extra round, and that should give a 5" thickbar. I'm sure it'll be a bitch, even if it's only 25lbs.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 7:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well i took some pictures of my new setup.

It's not complete, still needs some painting, weights tree and preacher curl extension, but so far I'm quite pleased with it.

Spoiler:

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 8:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet setup dude! I dig the Jadah Pinkett Smith/Matrix poster on the wall :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 9:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks mate :)

yeah the girlfriend is a big matrix fan, and they make the room look less like some ghetto shed thing.

See what I did with the bar? its one of those thinner bars with the thread on the ends, and the section inbetween the collars wasn't quite long enough to give me adequate room when re-racking it, so I got some metal pipe and made it slightly longer than the collared section, jammed some thin wire into the space in the pipe as flux, and welded the **** out of it :) now it weighs 44lb!

Also, you can see the squat safety bars on the floor behind the cage, I might make some new ones because they are really ugly, but they helped me avoid being crushed last night so they might of earned their place.

Next im making a preacher curl add-on out of an old chair cushion and some left over metal :)

Do It For Nearly Free!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 6:41pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mean to necro an old thread, but....

Rhadi Ferguson has just come out with something called "The Power Sleeve" for gi grapplers to train with. It basically looks like a 5' or 10' foot long sleeve made of heavy canvas or judogi material (hard to tell with the pictures here: hatashitasports.com/product-details.php?CategoryID=70&Status=N&page=1) but it looks like one could easily replicate it with some heavy canvas.

Rhadi has a video showing some exercises
    YouTube - Build Great Forearm and Hand Strength with the Power Sleeves

They aren't listing a price yet, but it seems like one could make their own pretty easily for less than $15 and some sewing time. Or they could just use an old beat up gi. I think I'll go buy some heavy canvas this weekend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 11:52pm

Style: Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright this is simply amazing! Alright has anybody seen the resistance bands that JC and other people sell? I want to make some of those but I don't have any clue where to start except for the handles. Any help I can get would be awesome. Thank you.

Posted On:
    12/01/2008 7:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can start with bicycle tire tubings.

Obviously, you might have to cut them parallel to their lengths since those tubings are extremely harder to pull than a JC resistance band (but somewhat comparable to the #1 and #2 iron woody bands.)

Bungee cords can be another option, which you can find at most hardware/automotive stores

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910