Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 1:21pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yarennoka (spoilers)

I just watched this event, and I rather enjoyed it. Lots of big names and a few upsets. Of course, Fedor was supposed to be the main event, but until he decides to fight some real competition again, I could fucking care less. He seems to have caught a case of whatever it was that afflicted Roy Jones Jr. later in his career. You know, the thing where you seem to cherry pick opponents who won't be too much of a challenge. The only reason I watched that fight instead of fast forwarding through it was because of the off chance that Choi would catch Fedor with something and it would be the greatest upset in MMA history. But alas, My hopes were once again dashed. Enough babble for now. Here are the results:

Michael Russow vs. Roman Zentsov - Russow gets a big slam, and from the time it hit the ground he was working on that north-south choke. Eventually he got it and made pretty short work of Zentsov. By the way, who the **** is Mike Russow anyway?

Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Luiz Azeredo - Kawajiri owned Azeredo the entire match, mostly G&P in Azeredo's guard. Kawajiri takes the unanimous decision.

Murilo Bustamante vs. Makoto Takimoto - In one of the upsets of the night, Takimoto pulls out the split decision victory over Bustamante. Busta shows his always good groundwork, but Takimoto manages to escape every position. Takimoto dropped Busta with a shot in the second and maintained top control for the rest of the round, IMO, stealing the fight.

Gilbert Melendez vs. Mitsuhiro Ishida - Ishida puts on a fucking wrestling clinic. Melendez was taken down at will, slammed hard a couple of times, and completely controlled most of the fight. As Ishida was going for a RNC, Melendez stood up and spiked Ishida on his head. Later on Melendez landed a knee as Ishida shot in, and in the last minute or so, Melendez got in Ishida's guard and threw a flurry of (mostly ineffective) punches. Those were the only spots of the fight where I remember Melendez really doing anything offensive. Ishida hands Melendez his first loss via unanimous decision. After the fight, Melendez was clearly upset and blamed the loss on hometown judges. I disagree.

Kazuo Misaki vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama - Akiyama wins the award for oddest, most dramatic entrance of the night, but that's all he wins. The whole fight looked bizarre. I can't even really explain it. You just ahve to see it to know what I'm talking about. Towards the end of the first round, Misaki catches Akiyama with a right hand and drops him. As Akiyama was trying to get up kicked him in the face....hard, and that was it. Misaki then lectured Akiyama in the ring after the fight was over. It seemed really uncomfortable for everybody. Oh yeah, I have to say that I don't know if the win will hold up because Akiyama was clearly down when he was kicked in the face, and according to the modified unified rules under which they were fighting, kicks to the head of a downed opponent were prohibited. We'll see what happens.

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Hong Man Choi - Choi is huge, but that's about it. Fedor immediately goes for a takedown. Choi falls down on top of him and holds him there for a few seconds, throwing a couple of punches in the meantime. Fedor gets a deep armbar from guard, but somehow Choi escapes. They stand up, and the same scenario is replayed again, only this time Choi taps to the armbar. Congratulations Fedor. You beat a Tumor-riddled, 1-0 freakshow fighter. That should prove to everybody that you're still the #1 fighter in the world. Whatever.

Hayato Sakurai vs. Hidehiko Hasegawa - Sakurai by domination. He beat Hasegawa standing, in the clinch, and on the ground. However, he couldn't finish him. Color me shocked. Hayato's post fight interview back stage was great. He was more interested in fucking with the female translator than he was in the interview itself. I don't know what the **** he was talking about, but he kept saying champion. He's still one of my all time favorites.

Shinya Aoki vs. Jung Bu-Kyung - As always Aoki wore some fabulous long pants and went for lots of leg locks. For this being Bu-Kyung's first fight, especially against a fighter of Aoki's caliber , I was super impressed. He had Aoki in some deep armbars. Aoki though was as slick as ever and escaped every time. Aoki never could finish with his subs, but he was constantly going for something. He also had some pretty effective G&P. Aoki win via UD in another good fight.

Overall, it was a solid card. I was surprised at the number of decisions, but they weren't really boring or anything. The fucking commentators (Frank Trigg) talked over all the entrances and the opening ceremony, which kinda pissed me off, but whatever. It was cool to see something that looked so much like PrideFC, even down to Takada beating on a drum and that Banshee lady announcer.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 1:36pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could someone either post here or PM me a link to download or stream the Aoki fight? He's awesome.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 1:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the link to the Misaki/Akiyama fight. I'll see if I can find the other ones.

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 1:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Link To Fedor/Choi

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, I could transfer the whole event from my TiVo to my desktop and upload it somewhere. I just don't know if I want to go through the hassle. I'd have to install TiVo desktop and it's a fucking CPU hog. I'll see what I can do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 5:55pm

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The crowd went APESHIT after seeing Greasy Aki receive his comeuppance over the Sakuraba incident. I don't think I've ever seen people cheer that loudly.

Judging by the replay, Akiyama's legs went bent but in the upright position. He wasn't kneeled, just hunched over.
    Last edited by yodaman; 12/31/2007 6:00pm at .

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 6:27pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
    Of course, Fedor was supposed to be the main event, but until he decides to fight some real competition again, I could fucking care less. He seems to have caught a case of whatever it was that afflicted Roy Jones Jr. later in his career. You know, the thing where you seem to cherry pick opponents who won't be too much of a challenge.
    His opponent had to be from K1 for political reasons, and Choi was the only one who volunteered.

Kazuo Misaki vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama -Oh yeah, I have to say that I don't know if the win will hold up because Akiyama was clearly down when he was kicked in the face,
    http://img.waffleimages.com/cf0486b1...enoka-59-2.jpg

Both feet on the ground.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 6:36pm

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me try...

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 7:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah. I guess he was standing. My mistake. That makes me feel better about it. I was pulling for Misaki, but I feared the win was tainted. It made me feel a bit dirty inside.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 7:45pm

Style: mozambique drill

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What was with the hopping around in that fight?
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast