Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2003 8:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whether or not YOU use them for sport skills, RFD, or whatever....that's what they are supposed to do.

As for elevating one's heart rate, there are much more benign ways to do that though....ASSUMING it's even worthwhile to get one's heart rate up for it's own sake (which it's not neccesarily).
    Last edited by Nid; 11/03/2003 8:13pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2003 8:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If all you are doing in your plyometric routine is jump over boxes then I would agree. However, I believe that a routine of mixed exercises of that sort can be used to build a routine designed to improve quickness. If you use obsticals and set points and require your body to hit certain targets at a great deal of speed you improve:

1 - the expand and contract reflexes in fast-twitch muscle fibres.

2 - overall preprioception (the body's innate ability to know the exact position and spacial location of joints and appendages).

3 - cardiovascular fitness - heartrate increases while several large muscle groups are constantly exploding in a manner not used in normal walk/sit/stand routine of the day.

While I agree it is pointless to just run an obstacle course of tire stepping and box jumping every day, I belive that a routined - varied with different angles and changes of direction - of good plyometrics can be used to enhance quickness.

I must also agree with FingerorMoon? in the belief that basic plyometrics are not dangerous. If you are jumping sideways over a box over and over and you are 250 pounds of Big Macs and cheese pizza you are likely to hurt yourself doing it. However, plyometrics are rarely the exercise of choice for those not ready to take them on due to how rigorous they can be (minus a happy skip through the park :-).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2003 9:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTEI believe that a routine of mixed exercises [/QUOTE]

Precisely. I.e. sprawls, clinches, punches, carries, tosses ya know....the things you're ACTUALLY called upon to do.

Why in the world would you spend your time doing something which is merely *similar* or unrelated IF?: #1. You aren't making meaningful muscular inroads to stimulate an appreciable increase in generic strength (which you wouldn't be), or #2. It's not your idea of a subjectively enjoyable physical diversion.
    Last edited by Nid; 11/03/2003 9:10pm at .

Posted On:
    11/03/2003 9:16pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by keinhaar
    Plyometric training goes against the very basic rules of motor learning....sorta. Jumping over boxes does indeed train you quite well for....jumping over boxes.
    EXCUSE ME NEWB! It trains you to help jump over the gay romos that want you on the ground!!!

Double leg takedown this!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    11/03/2003 9:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course you'd do them as part of a workout.

I do them when I'm working out on my own and I don't have access to a heavy bag (my center has them, my house doesn't).

Use them as a section of your solo cardio workout.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2003 9:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey now. It says *featherweight* right there!
    Last edited by Nid; 11/03/2003 9:30pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2003 8:37am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, that sounds like good stuff for my cardio work out...Ill try it out tomorrow :D.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2003 4:43pm

Style: Wrestling, WC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You in addition to Plyometric leg training, you can do plyometric chest training by doing pushups. Its REALLY hard to keep it up for a long period of time, but you just have to do the pushups hard enough that they lift your hands off of the ground. Literally throw yourself up with the pushup. This gives one hell of a chest workout, and gives your punches much more speed.

Posted On:
    12/10/2003 1:46pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do any of you do squat jumps for plyometrics? Basically you do into a squat position (very low, past 90 degrees) and then jump up as high as you can. Is this very bad for your knees?
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    12/10/2003 2:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every "explosive " exercise has the trade off of being "bad" on your joints.
    Jump squats are bad for your knees, HOW bad depends on how and when you do them.
    What you have to ask your self is this:
    Is this form of exercise and the wear and tear it causes benefical for WHAT I am doing and for WHY I am doing it?
    Will I be fucked up 10 years down the road and will it be worth it?

At 34 I there are days I feel every fucking bone I broke, every muscle I have pulled.
    I had my ACL torn, along with a cracked knee cap and I feel THAT almost everyday.

I still do explosive bag work, but thatis because it is DIRECTLY realted to what I do.
    I do NOT do plyometrics for a few simple reasons:
    Strength training builds more strength the plyo's.
    Expolsive bag work builds more explosive power as it realtes to the MA than plyo's.
    Stamina bag, pad and sparring work build MORE stamina than plyo's.

So plyometrics seem to be redundant.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12