Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    How is your nutrition before bed? Most folks neglect this area, whereas I've found that eating well before bed really helped me put on the pounds. Some slow absorbing protein and carbs (cottage cheese and a whole grain bagel, or cassean shakes) will do the trick.
    Why before bed? What benefits are afforded by this?

(Sorry to briefly hijack your thread, Fatherdog.)

And are things like sardines helpful, e.g. for protein plus so-called 'good oils'? (Plus they make you smell sexy.)
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 11:25pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before bed because that's 8 hours where your body is still working and recuperating, but you can't refuel to give it more stuff to work with.

Just lying there still makes your body give off like 100 watts I believe, so you still need to give it something.

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 11:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I often eat before I sleep, but my worry has always been that I'm not burning it off.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 11:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    I often eat before I sleep, but my worry has always been that I'm not burning it off.
    If you do heavy resistance training, you'll need it.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 11:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    If you do heavy resistance training, you'll need it.
    I suspect our standards of 'heavy' are quite different.

But point taken.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 11:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heavy is a percentage of max, not total weight. Don't sweat it.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 11:49pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    Everything I've read on glutamine has showed no concrete benefits for bodybuilding unless you're already deficient in it via your diet, so I've been disinclined to add another set of pills based largely on anecdotal evidence thus far.

As far as BCAA's go, it's my understanding that egg protein contains a full complement of them, so since I'm already taking that post workout, plus a half pound of (organic free range grass-fed) beef most days, I'm not sure if additional supplementation of them is worthwhile.
    IIRC correctly, glutamine does not have effect on weight lifting men when ingested short-term. Long-term glutamine intake has been demonstrated to reduce breakdown. Same with BCAAs.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that recommended values of mostly anything are ridiculously low - for example, the very same Vitamin C supplement you are taking, EmergenC, it has 16 times the RDV. And athletes have been know to take 3 times that amount and more.

The moment you put your body to work in sports, the moment you stop being sedentary, your diet alone will not provide all the nutrients you need. You won't die or stop functioning, but you will not function as optimal as you could. And since your goal is to recover from an injury, this is even more important to take note.

Your body already contains glutamine, and it is the supplementation of it that allows your body not to run out of it when you work out. Not to mention the anti-inflamatory properties of glutamine when supplemented.

I don't really take that many pills. I bought a big container of tasteless glutamine powder. Either I add 20g on my protein shake or on the frozen fruit and peanut butter smootie I make in the mornings. Incredibly convenient and incospicous.

In your case, I would just mix 2 tablespoons (10g) in a glass of EmergenC. You wouldn't even notice it's there.

My BCAA pills, I either take them throughout the day, or open them and pour their contents into the smooties. Ideally one would have to take them by themselves on an empty stomach, but life is not perfect. I just say **** it, and I take one pill at a time, 7 in total during the day. I take one with my tea, or with my water, with my smootie, when I'm eating.

If I wait to take the pills in a batch, of course, it would be a nightmare. One has to develop the proper plan of eating and supplementing a day to make sure you don't have to face yet another batch of pills in front of the half a dozen you have to take.

It's all in the planning. I strongly suggest you reconcider on glutamine.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    The moment you put your body to work in sports, the moment you stop being sedentary, your diet alone will not provide all the nutrients you need. You won't die or stop functioning, but you will not function as optimal as you could. And since your goal is to recover from an injury, this is even more important to take note.

Your body already contains glutamine, and it is the supplementation of it that allows your body not to run out of it when you work out. Not to mention the anti-inflamatory properties of glutamine when supplemented.
    I'm not disputing that when you engage in heavy exercise you need more than the RDA of nutrients; I'm saying that when you consider that over the course of an average week I go through two four-pound chickens and 3 pounds of beef, I'm not sure that the amount of glutamine I already intake through food is sufficiently low that additional supplementation would be helpful. There aren't a lot of hard figures I've seen on glutamine as applied to someone with a high protein diet or at what point additional glutamine intake ceases having notable effect.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 12:21pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started taking Glutamine, wasn't taking anything other than a mutli-vitamin.

I saw immediate improvement in both recovery time and minimization of DOMS.

As far as glutamine's usefulness via data, it has been shown to improve recovery time in injury - both at a macro and micro level. Since heavy lifting is essentially premediated injury, that was enough for me to give it a try. Its cheap too - and I'm not doing anywhere near the levels TEM is doing, so for me its a fairly neglibable expense.

My though would be to try it - its cheap and there are no negative side effects. You might not see a difference - but the cost of trying it is neglibable. 90 days @ 5 grams a day is about $25.00. 15 grams a day would still be less than $25 a month. I've just been doing 5 grams and been happy with it.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 1:09pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    Currently, I'm 28 years old, I'm eating at a caloric surplus and getting 1g/lb of protein per day. (No ****...I've seen you eat!) I've started being very rigorous about going to bed early and am getting between eight and nine hours of sleep a night. I'm taking creatine, glucosamine, and a zinc/magnesium supplement before bed. I've cut drinking to only weekends and have seriously cut down on the amount. (This I'll believe when I see it...or is this perhaps the end of an era?)

Other than that, it sounds like you have the right idea already. Supplement protein and creatine, maximize your gym time and be sure to get adequate rest. You can look into some prohormones...they can be pricey, but most quality products will help get results. I've done 4-andro and DHEA cycles with noticeable results in recovery time and workout intensity. DOn't believe the hype with these things though, they help a little, but they are not magic growing beans.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast