Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

? for those knowledgeable about (legal) supplements

This Saturday, I had my last session of physical therapy, concluding my 9 months of dealing with a difficult back injury. A few weeks beforehand, my PT gave me the okay to start (very lightly) lifting weights again, and I'm slowly getting to non-embarassing levels in the gym. While my initial impulse is to rush back to training immediately, I've decided to be smart this time and spend 4-6 weeks doing nothing but lifting, in order to improve my base strength levels to the point where I won't just immediately get injured again.

Currently, I'm 28 years old, I'm eating at a caloric surplus and getting 1g/lb of protein per day. I've started being very rigorous about going to bed early and am getting between eight and nine hours of sleep a night. I'm taking creatine, glucosamine, and a zinc/magnesium supplement before bed. I've cut drinking to only weekends and have seriously cut down on the amount.

My question is, since I'm obviously going to have to ramp back weight training considerably once I start training BJJ-et-al again (as I intend to ramp up to my former levels of 4-6 times a week) I'd like to maximize my gains in the 4-6 weeks I spend focusing on weights. Are there any supplements I'm not already taking that would be useful in furthering this goal?

Edit: I also take fish oil; forgot to mention that.
    Last edited by Fighting Cephalopod; 12/30/2007 8:28pm at .
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is your nutrition before bed? Most folks neglect this area, whereas I've found that eating well before bed really helped me put on the pounds. Some slow absorbing protein and carbs (cottage cheese and a whole grain bagel, or cassean shakes) will do the trick.

What gains are you trying to maximize though? Your size or your strength?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 6:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    How is your nutrition before bed? Most folks neglect this area, whereas I've found that eating well before bed really helped me put on the pounds. Some slow absorbing protein and carbs (cottage cheese and a whole grain bagel, or cassean shakes) will do the trick.
    I usually have a cup or two of cottage cheese immediately before I go to sleep.

What gains are you trying to maximize though? Your size or your strength?
    Strength. I don't mind if I gain size, but it's not my focus. I probably will be working on gaining size at some point, though, because at 6'4" I've been underweight for my height for most of my grappling career.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 6:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure to pair that cottage cheese with some carbs to really gain the benefit of it.

Only other thing I'd suggest is some whey protein with some quick absorbing carbs. You can actually use sweet tarts (the candy) to get the job done post workout.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 7:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure to pair that cottage cheese with some carbs to really gain the benefit of it.
    I'll start doing that, thanks. Slow-acting complex carbs, correct, since it's not immediately post-workout or anything?

Only other thing I'd suggest is some whey protein with some quick absorbing carbs. You can actually use sweet tarts (the candy) to get the job done post workout.
    I use egg protein with a tablespoon of sugar post-workout. Whey protein does unpleasant things to my digestion.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 7:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, whole wheat/grains would be your best bet. My condolences on the whey, but egg is a great substitute.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 9:47pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fatherdog - How have you found the Zinc/Mag affects you?

I don't see a multivitamin + vitamin C entry there. El Macho loves the C.
    Get lots of vitamin Rest as well. Best of luck getting back.

Some slow absorbing protein and carbs (cottage cheese and a whole grain bagel, or cassean shakes) will do the trick.
    He means casein. Looks like it is taken care of though.
    :headbang:
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 10:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    fatherdog - How have you found the Zinc/Mag affects you?
    Haven't noticed much one way or the other; I take it mostly as a sleep aid.

I don't see a multivitamin + vitamin C entry there. El Macho loves the C.
    Get lots of vitamin Rest as well. Best of luck getting back.
    I take one packet of EmergenC a day.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 10:33pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was about to say "what Pizzdof says on C", and then I saw you are already doing that. But you also have to consider the timing. There is annecdotal evidence that taking it a couple of hours before working is the best. IIRC (in some website I cannot find now), Charles Poliquin suggested to do just that (500mg at least if I recall). Don't be shy to take two EmergenC a day.

You are missing glutamine (for recovery), which you should take immediately after working out. I take 15g-20g a day, sometimes 25g. It makes an incredible difference in recovery time. If you can add BCAAs, that will be great as well.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 11:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    You are missing glutamine (for recovery), which you should take immediately after working out. I take 15g-20g a day, sometimes 25g. It makes an incredible difference in recovery time. If you can add BCAAs, that will be great as well.
    Everything I've read on glutamine has showed no concrete benefits for bodybuilding unless you're already deficient in it via your diet, so I've been disinclined to add another set of pills based largely on anecdotal evidence thus far.

As far as BCAA's go, it's my understanding that egg protein contains a full complement of them, so since I'm already taking that post workout, plus a half pound of (organic free range grass-fed) beef most days, I'm not sure if additional supplementation of them is worthwhile.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast